Forums Latest Members
  1. edgware14 Jul 9, 2019

Hi all, looking for some general guidance on what to do with this 2998-1. This is not my watch so I will be passing on all advice to the owner who recently inherited it.

As you may be able to see from the pictures, the lume is missing from the hands and the lume on the dial isn't the most attractive colour. It's a shame because the dial itself is in great condition and judging by the small indices on the sub dials, it looks to be the original one.

I have seen excellent relume work on here but I'm worried about the resale value down the line, if the work done is of a very high standard do you think the value will be significantly impacted? The watch is intended to be a daily wearer and just had a full movement service by Omega, with instructions to only work on the internals. They highlighted that one of the endlinks was aftermarket and we were already aware the bezel isn't original.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_1082.jpeg IMG_1083.jpeg IMG_1084.jpeg IMG_1085.jpeg 20190704_130242.jpg
    Etp095, Seaborg and JimJupiter like this.
  2. 321Only Jul 9, 2019

Very nice! Looks like a NAIAD crown?
    Bezel, bracelet and end-links are incorrect. Should be very hard to find a period correct base 1000 bezel. Bracelet should be 7077 with No 6 end links. So bringing it back to original condition will be expensive but worth it!
    Lume looks a bit tired but I would leave it as it is, don't relume.

Whats the serial range of the movement?

Etp095 and Dgercp like this.
  3. Nla91 Jul 9, 2019

I think it's a 32 teeth service crown.
    The lume on the dial is very unattractive. In my opinion this watch would benefit for a relume.

Etp095 and padders like this.
  4. edgware14 Jul 9, 2019

Serial is 1776****
    Not a NAIAD crown but that would have been nice! Apologies, the images of the watch aren't the clearest, the owner just sent me them from his phone.
    We were aware of the bracelet and end links, with the price of No 6's he'll probably leave as is!
    Cheers :thumbsup:

5. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jul 9, 2019

Looks good that way. Find a decimal bezel and fit that. I would not worry about the end links now, if you want to wear it . Start a search on eBay and get messages, when they pop up. Enjoy it ! Great watch with the lollipop hand. Kind regards. Achim

Dgercp and 321Only like this.
  6. boogedyboo Jul 9, 2019

There is a Base 1000 bezel for sale on OF. You can buy it to replace the incorrect bezel if you have the funds.

EdtheAussie likes this.
  7. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 9, 2019

I am all for originality and completeness but that is grotty as hell. I can't see that being worth any less if relumed sensitively and well. I personally wouldn't be dropping thousands on a Base 1000 DON though, since I don't think you would see that back and the outlay would be eye watering, nearly as much as the watch head is currently worth in fact. The Decimetre bezel idea above makes sense, or just leave it with the 70s DNN which still has character. Leave the case alone of course since that won't be improved by meddling.

Once relumed with a nice filled lollypop that will look great, as it is it just looks tired. I know which I would rather wear or own. You only have to look at a current member's recent Ebay sale of a similar condition (in fact better looking!) 2998-4 to see that grotty watches, no matter how rare are a tough sell. I seem to recall the highest ever figure achieved for a CK2915-1 was for a relumed watch...

Edited Jul 9, 2019
    marco, rob#1, Taybharr and 1 other person like this.
  8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 9, 2019

I think this watch is a very interesting focus for today’s market.

The attraction value very low. Twelve months ago, when people bought on FOMO and inexperience, they looked for watches that ticked boxes.

This watch does tick boxes:

- family ownership
    - rare straightlug
    - triangle lume
    - lollipop

But it also falls down by missing the very expensive to replace bezel.
    It has a very unattractive dial, though not the worst, and a good basis for re lume.

So as a watch to sell, there are not the buyers there were 12 months ago.

To be clear - if this were a one owner 2998 with attractive original parts then there would still be a queue. The market has retained discerning buyers with deep pockets for the right watch. It is just things with missing parts or interference no longer have those naive investment type buyers, who think they can buy a cheap watch and improve it, and make a profit - because that is not as easy as some used to think.

However the OP is looking to make good this watch to wear. (Bravo)

To that end I would definitely re lume everything. Choose your artist carefully and know what you want to end up with - they need guidance and direction. (They are not mind readers!).

As to the bezel, a bleached telemetre bezel is such a dealer/auction thing to do I would avoid it. But that’s my own personal petty resentments there. I would rather use an eBay replica DO90 than a bleached bezel, but as I say I am biased and would not criticise you for doing so. (When I see a bleached bezel on an auction watch I know it’s from the trade)

The watch is going to look great. I would go so far as to say for an unscrupulous dealer it’s a perfect basis for an undeclared restoration.

For a daily wearer it’s ideal - not too much value but it could look very attractive with the right work.

Etp095, Observer, edgware14 and 5 others like this.
  9. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jul 9, 2019

Not every used whatever Bezel is bleached/ tampered with by Trade. There are plenty normal aged bezels , that were exposed to the elements. I live next to the ocean and strong sun and even walk on the beach in salty ocean air effects Omega bezels . Here in Australia I have found blueish ones. One greenish one. Many charcoal ones. Just develope a sense for chemically altered ones. They are not as light in colour next to the crystal as they are at the Bezel Rim. So, no generalisations ; as always, one has actually to handle a few to see the tell tale signs. Kind regards. Achim

Etp095, marco and gemini4 like this.
  10. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Jul 9, 2019

All of what William said was spot-on, but this part is especially true. It will take ~$10-15K to get it restored correctly (with a B1000 bezel), but once undertaken and executed, it will be a phenomenal watch to wear for years.

Spacefruit likes this.
  11. MikeMan2727 Jul 9, 2019

Dgercp, BenBagbag and Spacefruit like this.
  12. Dgercp Jul 9, 2019

Contrarian view. There are very few original 2998-1s on the planet. I personally don't find the hands and lume plots all that bad and I would prefer it as is rather than relumed, no matter how good the job. Yes, the resale market is not what it was and at this time this could be hard to sell as is, but that may change down the road. Once relumed it can not be undone. Just my 2 cents (but probably worth only 1).
    A reasonably priced base 1000 makes this an awesome watch in my book.

Etp095 and gemini4 like this.
  13. Taybharr Jul 9, 2019

Can the more experienced members comment on why they might feel adding the correct bezel would be paid for in a resale? Seems very difficult to get your money back on resale unless you have an incredibly superb example with only an incorrect or badly damaged bezel. The correct path forward seems very dependent on intention to wear or sell. @edgware14 please advise on this if you can. If the goal is the wear the watch for a considerable period of time, having it all correct could be very enjoyable for the owner. Based on how the 2998-4 sold on eBay, seems difficult to comprehend how the seller could even recoup the cost of the faded bezel listed here in terms of incremental gains in selling price.

In the question of reluming or not to relume, seems safer to just let the buyer make that decision, but James Hyman apparently does amazing work if the current owner decides they would like a more attractive dial. Again, a bit dependent on the sell or keep decision.

Spacefruit likes this.
  14. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 9, 2019

My 2 cents regarding this bezel is if you have the right watch for it then strongly consider buying the base1000 bezel - they are hard to come by and regarding resale there are probably many collectors who wouldn't consider buying this 2998 if the bezel is incorrect because unless you already have a spare original base1000 bezel lying around it might be a few years before you get a proper example. I for one and speaking only for myself would rather have the correct bezel even if it wasn't in great shape (would actually go with the rest of the watch's condition) rather than relume the watch.

michael e, gemini4, Taybharr and 5 others like this.
  15. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Jul 9, 2019

Totally agree. Having to source your own B1000 is a pain and if there's one on the watch, you can add it to the "long-term action plan" if it really bothers you but wouldn't have to address it immediately - or deduct value for the pro forma "all-in" cost to source one, which is how it would likely be addressed in a private sale negotiation.

Taybharr likes this.
  16. Davidt Jul 9, 2019

Bare in mind you're comparing apples to oranges when looking at the value of a 2998-1 with base1000 bezel and a 2998-4 with DoN bezel.

Taybharr and gemini4 like this.
  17. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 9, 2019

For me, (and MWO:)) there is another accepted bezel alternative for the 2998-1. Especially as the OP example has a lollipop.

While most expect to see the Black Base 1000 as the most correct bezel.
    AF841CB2-8043-4C73-8F00-17D8AE0B38E7.jpeg

The vintage Pulsometer Bezel completes a wonderful 1960’s era Doctor’s watch.
    DC7936FF-6745-4F34-B189-1D6ACCEB22F7.jpeg

18. Taybharr Jul 9, 2019

Regardless of bezel choice, lollipop chrono is just all kinds of awesome. :eek:

watchyouwant likes this.
  19. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 9, 2019

Lollipops are nice on vintage Railmasters and Seamasters as well :D
    8050EC9D-ACC9-4D24-9923-C171450A7E94.jpeg

Cuttysark, murph, stahlmotte and 11 others like this.
  20. Taybharr Jul 9, 2019

With so many lollipops, just had to throw this in here...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
    " frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

wouter van wijk likes this.