Forums Latest Members
  1. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 3, 2019

It's a forum. No more, no less. There are many that are far, far, far worse -- this is one of the best ones in my opinion. But that does not mean everyone on the forum needs to act a certain way to anyone that comes here seeking knowledge for personal gain. I feel bad for the OP, although a simple thread asking if anyone had contact info, or had been in touch with, the Buyer would have been fine -- no need to have gotten into the purchase details. Hopefully the Buyer reaches back out to him, even if it is just to say he cannot purchase the watch.

And for 25,000 AUS, I think I would be a potential buyer! :D

2. omegaman Dec 3, 2019

It is not about wearing a watch on a journey, it is about exporting a watch for the only reason to sell it w/o declaration. No matter where you store, hide or wear it... that is illegal. And importing the cash you received into your country w/o declaration is also illegal. No doubt about that! The chances being caught is a different story

Edited Dec 3, 2019
    Dan S and Archer like this.
  3. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Dec 3, 2019

There are 2 chances of getting caught with it on your wrist going thru customer are Slim and None ;)

4. JwRosenthal Dec 3, 2019

Does that include this guy?

11B66642-6BA7-4857-9E3B-D86A79456F6E.jpeg

MikiJ likes this.
  5. Patrik83 Dec 3, 2019

I guess you have bigger problems if you go through the customer ;)

MikiJ and M'Bob like this.
  6. Evitzee Dec 3, 2019

I am impressed by the honesty of the folks here, when selling a watch at a profit they report, without hesitation, the profit on their federal and state income tax returns. Well done, lads, it's good to be among such fine citizens.

Rochete, Atalien2005, Sidnos and 9 others like this.
  7. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Dec 3, 2019

Sorry, but you are talking nonsense. Again.
    Perhaps you could indicate which authority I would have to inform that I might sell my watch while abroad when going on holiday.
    To which authority do I declare how many Euros I have exchanged into $US to spend during my holiday?
    To which authority do I inform that I am posting a watch to a buyer in another country?
    Please enlighten me.

Edited Dec 3, 2019
    MikiJ and blufinz52 like this.
  8. Sherbie Dec 3, 2019

@edgware14

are you telling me that you have travelled from Oz to USA to make a deal, and you dont even have the sellers cell phone number ??

watchyouwant likes this.
  9. Dan S Dec 3, 2019

My impression is that he had the watch imported into the USA by a friend who happened to be coming here.

Larry S likes this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 3, 2019

Can’t speak to other jurisdictions, but unless you are in the business of selling watches, profits from this sale would not likely be considered income here.

In Canada, this would most likely be considered a capital gain though, as personal property that can increase in value, can fall under capital gains and this includes jewellery.

Of course this is a whole different thing from declaring currency or other financial instruments that exceed $10k US when you cross a border, so when entering Canada, the US, or Australia. If you don’t declare it and you get caught, they have the right to seize the funds. Often you can get them back by paying a penalty.

Poday likes this.
  11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 3, 2019

Interesting that Cad290 according to his profile was on this site this morning. :whistling:

Gav1967 and chronoboy64 like this.
  12. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 3, 2019

What a cad! :D

Larry S likes this.
  13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 3, 2019

Somewhere in NYC....
    503EAA76-93A2-486E-A011-F1FFE00FB050.png

14. Poday Dec 3, 2019

it’s about integrity and intent. You know this. Is he likely to get caught? No. That doesn’t make the behavior any less illegal.

15. Bumper Dec 3, 2019

Wouldn't a used watch fall under personal effects?

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 3, 2019

If you are just bringing it on vacation with you, and are taking it back, yes.

In this case the watch was brought into the US with the singular purpose of selling it. As much as some here don’t acknowledge that there’s a difference, there is. This is now “goods for sale” and has to be declared as such. Failure to declare is an offence...

The likelihood of getting caught is another thing entirely, but the fact it has to be declared is very clear.

Mark020, watchyouwant, MikiJ and 3 others like this.
  17. omegaman Dec 4, 2019

Obviously that'll be a futile effort. Nevermind, Pablo.

18. edgware14 Dec 4, 2019

Thanks again to all who have given advice, I didn't hear from Chris in the end and my friend will leave New York today so that's that.
    No major loss, slightly annoying but it would have been almost too good to be true had everything gone well.
    The watch will stay up for sale on ebay etc and maybe end up in auction in Europe in the New Year.

Cheers :thumbsup:

19. Evitzee Dec 4, 2019

Sorry that your buyer flaked after all the effort you put in to get it to NYC. At least he could have confirmed he was no longer interested rather than going dark and leaving you hanging. Frustrating way to lose a sale. Going the auction route may be the best way to liquidate it.

Edited Dec 4, 2019
    septentrio, Archer, Nla91 and 2 others like this.
  20. OMEGuy Dec 4, 2019

@cicindela Thank you!