Forums Latest Members
  1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 3, 2019

@kov

Avoidance isn't the same as evasion.

If we were in a group at a pub and somebody liked the watch I was wearing and offered to buy it and I agreed, but didn't tell the tax man, is that considered a crime?

Bumper, mblease, mayankyadav and 2 others like this.
  2. edgware14 Dec 3, 2019

Indeed it isn't.

Again, sorry gents for making all this public, I'm just trying to make this happen in the short amount of time I have the watch in NY.

3. kov Trüffelschwein. Dec 3, 2019

Okay folks. I got confused, as any official could get by reading this.

nevermind.

4. skipper Dec 3, 2019

Well, I hope you get this resolved in the time frame available to you. However, you say you're very keen to complete this transaction due to the piece being for sale for so long already. Fair enough, but why not just lower your price with the hope that would arouse some interest amongst fellow Aus/NZ watch enthusiasts? If its been for sale for a long time, and is even now only selling because of the opportunity for the buyer to avoid additional taxes/costs, then there's a good chance you're asking too much for it. I'm much happier taking a lower price from a trusted buyer, on here or TRF etc, combined with a more straight forward transaction, than eeking out the last dollar of profit.

5. bardamu Dec 3, 2019

Cheating? Arrange a face to face meeting to avoid shipping doesn't exactly sound illegal to me, I wouldn't go that far.

janice&fred likes this.
  6. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 3, 2019

FIFY (and I am not judging here...just pointing out what folks are trying to ignore between the lines)

kov likes this.
  7. bardamu Dec 3, 2019

So funny, but this not seems the case.
    We know very well that there are some ways to avoid custom duties declaring the false at the time of shipment.
    Arrange a face to face it's not among them.

8. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 3, 2019

Yes. But don't go blabbing about it on a public forum. You never know, @STANDY might just be on duty and catch you.

M'Bob likes this.
  9. edgware14 Dec 3, 2019

Yes I have been lowering the price as time has gone on, Chris first emailed me in September. Regular emails since then, he wanted this watch and I was more than happy to deal with him, being a respected member here. It is hard selling a watch like this in Australia, there isn't a huge market here and it really feels cut off from the rest of the world unfortunately.

10. Dgercp Dec 3, 2019

Imho this post should be deleted my Mods.

Dan S, marco, kov and 1 other person like this.
  11. Pvt-Public Dec 3, 2019

To me the answer is really simple. No money, no watch. It comes home with your pilot friend. If the buyer is serious he will reach out.

12. bardamu Dec 3, 2019

I agree.

13. edgware14 Dec 3, 2019

I'm really confused, I was under the impression people take flights all around the world to purchase collectable watches. You get to see the watch in person, have a face-to-face deal and bring the watch back with you without the risk of it going missing.

Have a look at this thread I posted on October 2nd - titled:
    How the hell do you guys ship watches over $10000?

https://omegaforums.net/threads/how-the-hell-do-you-guys-ship-watches-over-10000.102602/

The advice to meet face-to-face was quite a popular one.

14. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 3, 2019

Maybe we are confused. Did your buddy import it into the US and thus pay the 20% import duties (which would have happened, were it shipped)?

15. Pvt-Public Dec 3, 2019

But that does not mean the watch or watches are not declared upon return. Where as you explicitly say you intended to avoid any declarations. You can not really be that naive. Can you?

Archer likes this.
  16. edgware14 Dec 3, 2019

The watch hasn't sold yet, it hasn't even been seen by the buyer, on what amount should 20% be charged?

mayankyadav likes this.
  17. M'Bob Dec 3, 2019

I'm gonna take a nap...

18. edgware14 Dec 3, 2019

Me too, trying to work out which crime I've committed has made me very tired ;)

19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 3, 2019

Enough agencies will know about the international funds transfer if it happens.

No Australian duty issues if he takes it out or even bringing it back. It’s all buyers issues for duty.
    Capital gains on a collectable is the only Aussie issue :whistling:

Now the pilot. Yes that’s a whole different kettle of smuggle ::popcorn::

MCC, eugeneandresson and Archer like this.
  20. septentrio Dec 3, 2019

Funny how this topic is now about not paying thousands of dollars of tax, vat, on a watch from 1960, for which no-one actually knows a precise market value. I guess we are all holier than the Pope. Or just moral crusaders.

Anyway, I hope you get in contact soon @ TS.

janice&fred, Rochete, Henneth and 8 others like this.