Advice for Newbie to OF and Omega

Hey Everyone! Been doing as much research as possible but I am finding it difficult as I am looking for a square watch in particular. I've narrowed it down to the preferring the Seamaster over the connie due to the thinner bezel .

I think the price range that I can expect to get a good quality watch in is around this one: Omega Seamaster Day-Date Stainless Steel 35mm Automatic Cal 1020 for £906 for sale from a Trusted Seller on Chrono24

Is it good to buy from Chrono24 though and has anyone had any experience with this site or sellers?

I need to ask the seller for some photos of the movement as they haven't posted any which makes me suspicious but everything else looks good from what I can see.

21020943-qo95x3peoxkt4dgnr69zxlkm-ExtraLarge.jpg

Really appreciate any advice!!
Thanks,
Andy

C24 is a sales platform that brings buyers and sellers together and facilitates transactions. They make money by charging a commission on sales. So it’s not unlike eBay, but unlike eBay, C24 charges a commission to BOTH seller and buyer. And just like eBay, there are reputable sellers and buyers and disreputable sellers and buyers. The primary benefit to sellers on C24 is a lower commission rate than many other sites charge. The primary detriment for buyers is that C24 charges them a commission whereas many other sales platforms, including eBay, do not. All transactions on C24 are conducted through their escrow service. This can be a benefit to the seller because it assures that the buyer has paid in good funds before the seller ships the watch. It’s also a benefit to the buyer because it provides an opportunity for the buyer to examine and approve the purchased watch when it arrives before funds are released from escrow to the seller. Asking prices on C24 tend to be high, but overall I prefer C24 over eBay, Reddit, Etsy and other similar sites. Regarding the watch in question, I agree with the advice provided by dsio above.
Edited:

Listen to @Ash, follow the thread he linked. Also keep your eyes on the private sales forum, occasionally a gem will drop there with very generous pricing.

Also figure out what you like. Don't be attached to the Omega name. There are some great brands that can be had for a fraction of the price.

Really appreciate the great advice and I will keep an eye on the forum. I've been looking at other brands as well and trying to find one that I like and is in fairly good condition. I'm really just looking for a nice square face automatic and the Omega one looks right. I did see a Wyler Vetta Mythos which looked pretty smart that was a lot less but I couldn't find any information on it. That was also on C24 though so I need to broaden my search. They seem to have a lot to view easily through that site though but good tip on the commission. Planning on treating myself for a milestone birthday.

So it’s not unlike eBay, but unlike eBay, C24 charges a commission to BOTH seller and buyer.

Happy to stand corrected, but isn’t that only the case for the US? Pretty sure C24 charges 6,5% or thereabouts to the seller only in Europe at least.

@AndyR Provided you’re happy to invest some time because the hunt is part of the fun: Look through the different square references available from Omega, by searching through here, google, the Omega vintage archives. Note down the reference numbers that you like and create an eBay search alarm. You’ll be notified whenever one comes online and you’ll be in for a shock when you see the first one finish in an open auction. My guess would be roughly a third of the C24 example you’ve posted, maybe a little more.

Great way of treating yourself by the way. And one more comment, if I may: Impatience is always either risky or expensive in this hobby. In a decade, at your next milestone birthday, you won’t remember if you got the piece you liked a few weeks after the day itself. You might remember, though, how you bought a duck, threw a few hundred quid at it to end up unhappy and selling it for a loss. This might be an over-dramatization but I hope you get what I’m saying. :) Take your time, find the one you like that’s good, have it serviced, enjoy forever.

Happy to stand corrected, but isn’t that only the case for the US? Pretty sure C24 charges 6,5% or thereabouts to the seller only in Europe at least.

@AndyR Provided you’re happy to invest some time because the hunt is part of the fun: Look through the different square references available from Omega, by searching through here, google, the Omega vintage archives. Note down the reference numbers that you like and create an eBay search alarm. You’ll be notified whenever one comes online and you’ll be in for a shock when you see the first one finish in an open auction. My guess would be roughly a third of the C24 example you’ve posted, maybe a little more.

Great way of treating yourself by the way. And one more comment, if I may: Impatience is always either risky or expensive in this hobby. In a decade, at your next milestone birthday, you won’t remember if you got the piece you liked a few weeks after the day itself. You might remember, though, how you bought a duck, threw a few hundred quid at it to end up unhappy and selling it for a loss. This might be an over-dramatization but I hope you get what I’m saying. :) Take your time, find the one you like that’s good, have it serviced, enjoy forever.
Yes, you may be right about the commission. I'm located in the U.S., so that is my perspective, but glad that you mentioned that to the OP. Thanks! MtV's advice to slow down and take your time to find a good example at a fair price is also well taken.

Provided you’re happy to invest some time because the hunt is part of the fun: Look through the different square references available from Omega, by searching through here, google, the Omega vintage archives. Note down the reference numbers that you like and create an eBay search alarm. You’ll be notified whenever one comes online and you’ll be in for a shock when you see the first one finish in an open auction. My guess would be roughly a third of the C24 example you’ve posted, maybe a little more.

Sounds like brilliant advice thanks and it's what I'll do. I'll be back with more info on how I get on but seriously thanks everyone. Given me a lot of confidence on how to approach this in a good way and such a great forum!

Based on personal experience, if you are early into the collecting journey, tastes tend to change rather quickly. That makes buying at the right price all the more important. Have fun!

Integrated bracelet limits you from changing to a plethora of straps :thumbsdown:

Look for a nice C-case

Integrated bracelet limits you from changing to a plethora of straps :thumbsdown:

Look for a nice C-case
By C-case do you mean a connie?

By C-case do you mean a connie?

Yes there are c-case Connies, but other brands made c-case watches. I have seen a few Longines c-cases that were nice, and the Technnos Skylights are classic.

Really appreciate the great advice and I will keep an eye on the forum. I've been looking at other brands as well and trying to find one that I like and is in fairly good condition. I'm really just looking for a nice square face automatic and the Omega one looks right. I did see a Wyler Vetta Mythos which looked pretty smart that was a lot less but I couldn't find any information on it. That was also on C24 though so I need to broaden my search. They seem to have a lot to view easily through that site though but good tip on the commission. Planning on treating myself for a milestone birthday.

Vintage Wyler's are good. I am not sure about the newer versions.

Look for a nice C-case
Ash, @dsio, indeed uncovers some nice c-cases at reasonable prices at this thread:
https://omegaforums.net/threads/rec...-not-for-inquiries.1790/page-262#post-1888026
Check his recent posts and figure out what you want before hunting it down.

A new afficianado's first lessons are to learn and to be patient or you will pay the "noob tax".

Find a senior member or Moderator that you find friendly and knowledgeable and feel free to ask for their help after you have done some work.

10 years ago, I wanted to sell my only good watch to chase after a bunch of mediocrity and a kind squirrel took me aside, slowed my roll and taught me how to gather nuts.

Now I sit in poverty, "playing with my nuts".

Hey, I want a nice squared (tv) watch too! Here's what I'm looking for.
index.jpg
Edited:

Ash, @dsio, indeed uncovers some nice c-cases at reasonable prices at this thread:
https://omegaforums.net/threads/rec...-not-for-inquiries.1790/page-262#post-1888026
Check his recent posts and figure out what you want before hunting it down.

A new afficianado's first lessons are to learn and to be patient or you will pay the "noob tax".

Find a senior member or Moderator that you find friendly and knowledgeable and feel free to ask for their help after you have done some work.

10 years ago, I wanted to sell my only good watch to chase after a bunch of mediocrity and a kind squirrel took me aside, slowed my roll and taught me how to gather nuts.

Now I sit in poverty, "playing with my nuts".

Hey, I want a nice squared (tv) watch too! Here's what I'm looking for.
index.jpg

Hahaha I'm sat here thinking that I don't want to be sat here in 10 years just "playing with my nuts" :D Thanks for the analogy though.

Nice watch you are looking for. I am looking for a silver one

This looks like a pretty original one but what is that staining on the weight? Is it water damage do you think?
OMEGA Seamaster Day Date Cal. 1020 166.0213 Automatic | eBay

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.

Scares me how much time passes while doing research and reading some of the documents. I end up down some rabbit holes on ebay or other sites.

Yes there are c-case Connies, but other brands made c-case watches. I have seen a few Longines c-cases that were nice, and the Technnos Skylights are classic.
Tissot as well.