Forums Latest Members
  1. hzeigler Jan 19, 2020

Hi y'all,

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to watches, and hope to learn about my grandmother's Omega. It was likely purchased in Waco, Texas, some time between 1920 and maybe 1970.
    IMG_2746.JPG
    IMG_2743.JPG
    IMG_2741.JPG
    IMG_2742.jpg
    This watch was serviced and gifted to me about 20 years ago and apparently serviced about 20 years prior to that according to the repairman who checked it for me yesterday. I didn't know to check the model number while he had it open, so I will need to go back and learn that - hopefully later this week.

I have worn this watch pretty regularly since it was given to me. I took it to ask about repair since it recently stopped running for a full day after winding it (and it winds far past what it used to). The department store repairman said that the spring is broken and offered to replace it and service the watch including polishing the crystal for $2000 pesos (about $100 USD). From what I have read on some of the discussions here, that's super cheap for repair services, but service of all kinds tends to run a good bit cheaper here in Mexico City than in the US, I have found. I hope to ask a colleague tomorrow for a recommendation about watch repair services as I think she has a similar watch, and I would prefer to work with someone trusted than the department store guy.

I would like to find out the age of the watch and would also appreciate advice about having repairs/service done on this watch, such as how frequently I need to have it serviced (instead of just waiting until it stops working). Also, is 20 years the expected life for a spring? Are there other parts that I should expect to have replaced at certain intervals?

Thank you for reading, and I hope to have model numbers to share soon.

Cheers,
    HZ

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 19, 2020

Reference number is inside the case back. From the look of it, I thinks it's from the 60's. You can confirm that with the serial number on the movement. The service cost seems in the ballpark.

3. Theluglife Jan 19, 2020

price seems very reasonable. See what your friend says, I'd go with a watchmaker that is recommended.

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 19, 2020

As @efauser noted, the model will be on the inside of the caseback, it's most probably a US production case (Jonnel et al).

It's a nice gold plated ladies "cocktail watch" on an after market cord strap. Possibly a caliber 620 or similar. The caliber number will be stamped on the movement, as will the serial number which will give you an approximate indication of the production date.

There are a number of Omega Serial Number charts on the internet that can be used to date your movement.