Advice for Newbie to OF and Omega

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
It's nice yes! I was looking at the thinner bezel of the seamaster rather than the chunkier connie. Would really love to try some of these watches on though but I can't find any shops where I live. How do you overcome this problem? Just by the measurements?
Ask the seller to draw around it and post it too you. Only kidding, keep searching for one you can view.

Not sure if anyone is still following this but I wanted to test of what I've learnt so far.

VINTAGE OMEGA SEAMASTER AUTOMATIC WINE DIAL DAY&DATE DRESS MEN'S WATCH | eBay

This watch looks smart but I think there are some issues with it. Looks like the face has been refurbished as I don't think this is a standard colour, The case looks to have been etched by someone with a shaky hand looking at the detail and the movement appears to be missing the case clasp?
What do you think?

I know without having to look at the auction details that this is a Korean special

Thanks for the advice on the pics sleepyastronaut! I presume a Korean special is a Korean copy that's not a real one!

I was looking at this one which is missing it's case clip again but other than that it looks pretty neat. Is this a Korean special as well as it's being sold from Japan?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

OMEGA Seamaster 166.0211 Day date cal.1020 antique Automatic Men's Watch_600116 | eBay

Any advice on this one?

Thanks,
Andy

This isn’t a “Korean special” (don’t like the term), and the seller is one of the largest dealers in Japan, easy to deal with. I’d say it’s on the pricy side, these can be picked up for less in no reserve auctions. Nevertheless, can’t see much wrong with it and if you really fancy it and don’t want to wait any further, the missing case clip can be dealt with by a watchmaker. I’d assume a correct spare one can be sourced and even if not, I think these are flat ones which are much easier to replace with some generic one than some of the ones in S-shape.

(don’t like the term)

My apologies, I'll refrain from using it.

@AndyR The watchmakers selling on eBay from Korea have a specific approach to tarting up a watch for sale, and it truly breaks my heart.

I saw it first when shopping eBay for King Seiko/vintage Grand Seiko, and I see it now shopping for Omega. In the fashion of the watchmakers selling on eBay from India, the watchmakers selling on eBay from Korea tend to list:

- Redialed pieces, specifically in colors they must imagine are a better choice than what was original

- Polished, usually heavily, with an eye for eliminating any and all blemishes, and at the expense of case facets and facet lines. Sometimes the cases appear to have been recut/lapped, with the width of the facets the giveaway

- Unserviced, or barely serviced movements that look tired and dry. Movements end up looking, generally, like they've received the bare minimum to get them ticking and off the workshop bench

What's truly disturbing about these watches selling on eBay from Korea is that the refinishers do a truly excellent job at reproducing the fonts and logos from the original. Unlike the watches selling in eBay from India, the watches selling on eBay from Korea have been done with an eye for detail, likely with pad printing, leaving you with the startling dial colors as the single obvious clue that they've been repainted.
Edited:

it looks pretty neat

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Agreed. This piece has a very nice vertical brush to the dial that's difficult to reproduce during repainting/refinishing. The movement looks like it's got some oil spotting, and the Omega decal is missing. I'm not sure how common it is for that decal to come off, I generally gravitate to earlier movements.