A few questions on Seamaster Baby Ploprof 166.0250

Hello, I just purchased my first vintage Omega. Been dabbling with vintage Seikos and Rolex over the past few years, but first time moving into Omega.

I purchased a Omega Seamaster Baby Ploprof 166.0250 yesterday - below is the actual photo. From the serial number, it seems that the production date was 1973, and the watch is using the 1012 movement - I removed the caseback to inspect myself.

A few questions:

1. For a 1973 model, what would be the reason that it has the 1012 movement? And not the 1010 movement. I wonder if it's a replacement movement.

2. I notice two variations of the bezel. One where the 4 has a "smooshed" top (as shown in photo), and another where there is a sharp point on the 4. Also, the latter design would have a dot in the top arrow marker on the bezel. What is the background on these two different bezel design variations?

3. There seems to be a plastic clear ring set on top of the bezel to protect the numbers and markings. I've never seen this before. But note the natural patina wear on the numbers. Did someone do this aftewards to protect the bezel markings, and is this common?

4. I paid about US$3,200 for this watch. Did I get a reasonable deal?

Thank you!

IMG_7487.JPG
Edited:

Folks are going to want more pics of the caseback, movement, etc., to help you.

And the first thing they’re going to be looking for is whether this is instead a “Watchco” piece.

Judging only by that single dial/handset photo, it most certainly appears to be a Watchco piece.

Thanks - Here are a few more photos of the caseback and movement.

I just searched a bit on Watcho, and understand it was Omega's authorized serviced center in Australia back in the day - where some Frankenstein'd "NOS" models came out. I may be OK with that. Is the Movement 1012 the giveaway here?

The only thing *I* can tell from these photos is that the dial/handset/Date wheel is definitely not from a vintage 1970s piece. Also the bezel appears new, at least from these pics. I can’t tell either way the case condition, from these pics.

Your understanding of Watchco proper is roughly correct. They used donor movement and NOS service components to complete a piece. Watchco no longer does this, but some others offer the same idea - and such pieces have sometimes come to be known more generally as “Watchco,” no madder who did the construction. In theory, any individual could do the same (with a little assembly help from their usual watchmaker).

I own a Watchco “baby plo,” so don’t take any of this as loaded.

Questions I would have probable asked before I bought. Good luck!

The first thing that always jumps out is the luminova hands and the absence of ‘T’ on the dial, clear indications they are modern parts. At least it’s honest in that regard even if the seller may not have been with you. (Edit: apparently these do come with no T markings, everyday’s a school day).

IMHO you did pay over the odds but these Watchco pieces are good for wearing without the fear you’ll crack a Bakelite bezel etc.
Edited:

It is not a ‘watchco’ it is an original case and bezel. The acrylic is original. The bezel with a pip is the modern service bezel.
This watch always has a 1012 movement.
I think the dial is original, there are no t’s present on these dials. The hands may well be replacements, if they light up like a Xmas tree and last more than about 30 seconds before dieing they are likely to be Luminova service replacements. The same check can be used for the dial.

@Bentobox

I have to disagree with what some of the others have said, I used to own an original Baby PloProf and a few things claimed by others is IMHO wrong the first being it should indeed house a 1010 movement and not a 1012. Secondly the bezel looks good to me and is not a service replacement. Third point is the dial although by placing the hand at 12 it obscure's the one thing that will tell me if it is an original or service dial. If it is one solid block at 12 it is a service dial if it is split into two it is an original a dial. The hands if are tritium or Luminova will tell you if they are modern replacements or older NOS type. But they do look to new to be anything but Luminova to me but a quick check with a torch or black light should answer your question. Anyway still a nice looking and getting to be very rare watch as you just don't see many around any longer. Also even if yours does have a service dial and luminova hands I still think you paid a good price for one now a days. Of course the most important and really the only thing that matters is that you like it and enjoy wearing it.

Marc

Yes sorry, 1010, and I don’t think these came into the market until about 1978 so the op’s movement is far too early. Looks like a solid indice at 12 so proberbly replaced mov dial and hands in a previously waterlogged case.

It's a solid index / indice. Here's another photo without the 12 o'clock or Omega logo obscured.

Very much appreciate your different comments here.

Overall, with your feedback, I feel sufficiently comfortable about this purchase. I now have this Seamaster mounted on a proper bracelet (that fits, with minimal flex) and will use it a my daily driver. It's such a handsome design to suit my tastes - layout, colors, size, weight.

According to OJTT, Both bezels variants, movements are original. The OP dial is a service.
FF51E206-F58A-42B6-9F4E-2B9DECBB5263.jpeg
Edited:

Looks like a solid indice at 12 so proberbly replaced mov dial and hands in a previously waterlogged case.

curious for some education on how you’ve discerned this case as original?

I can barely even see the case in these photos 😁

curious for some education on how you’ve discerned this case as original?

I can barely even see the case in these photos 😁

Because the Bezel is acrylic and not metal with a lume pip. It is unlikely that some one would add a vintage bezel to a service case. I would ask the same question as to your view of the date wheel😉

I would ask the same question as to your view of the date wheel😉

Fair enough!

Admit my date wheel conclusion came from it being guilty by association: it’s as pristine and nearly green-white as the dial/handset (the dial’s solid indice at 12 could be discerned from the OPs first picture, if zoomed); being pretty confident the dial/handset were service replacements, what could happen to a dial/handset for replacement that wouldn’t (a) also probably have the date wheel changed, or (b) not leave the original date wheel but with noticeable “patina” distinct from the service parts?

Was my thinking anyhow; but my thinking is limited in both duration and quality 😀

According to OJTT, Both bezels variants, movements are original.

As for the movement, regardless of caliber, I’m still stuck on the purported ~1973 production date in a ~1978 watch.

As for the bezel, I’m not seeing any OJTT discussion of the bezel?

The next question is why does the op think the movement is 1973, seems a bit early for a 1012 calibre. What is the movement number @Bentobox

edit; had a look and introduced in 1972 so entirely possible. I would expect a 38,39 million to be the earliest in range movement number
Edited:

I have to disagree with what some of the others have said, I used to own an original Baby PloProf and a few things claimed by others is IMHO wrong the first being it should indeed house a 1010 movement and not a 1012.

Hmmm...looked up the case...

055ST1660250 | STEEL CASE CAL. 1012

Hmmm...looked up the case...

055ST1660250 | STEEL CASE CAL. 1012

Yeah, based on several contradictory pieces of info including the OJTT apparent assertion that it came with both cals, I think the most that could be said is “it’s possible either cal is correct without sorting out some Omega history - good luck with that” That said...

had a look and introduced in 1972 so entirely possible.

Chalk up another one for being weary of things in OJTT...