WRUW Today?

Posts
3,650
Likes
24,733
That happened to me twice, two spring bar failures. One was a Vostok that was on a nato and held perfect. The other was a decent watch I can’t recall which one but I felt it going was able to save it from falling (non nato) it really makes you think how helpful natos can be. Good save, nice watch. I won’t buy Sinn only because I have enough reminders of my sinful nature.

I'm not sure if I'm more pro nato now, or just worried about Sinn's spring bars. 🤔
 
Posts
35,631
Likes
39,878
Jubilee Cal 864 chronometer LE, very special indeed. Hell of a watch. When did you score that one?
 
Posts
5,424
Likes
81,877
Sundowners, a couple of veterans for this momentous day in Vietnam, 50 years😊


Coffee..
 
Posts
15,927
Likes
47,795
In June of 1976, my late father took a solo trip from Calgary, to visit relatives and friends, as well as RCAF buddies from WWII, both in Ontario, and also in Michigan. I show a photo taken of him on the Amherstberg Ferry, taken in early July of that year. He is pictured wearing the watch that I have included, here. We received a letter from him which was written at that time, indicating he wasn’t feeling well, and was aiming to terminate his trip, and make a hasty return home. This is probably the last picture ever taken of him, as he passed away within two weeks of his return home. In his letter, he indicated that this watch had quit on him, but since he was wearing two watches in the picture, there was no problem

Fast forward after he passed away, I managed to pick up an operational identical Bulova Accuquartz which served as a donor, to return this watch to service. The date code indicates 1973, about 3 years before Bulova folded.

The Accuquartz was a futile attempt by Bulova to compete in the quartz watch business that had overwhelmed the watch market. It is basically an Accutron 218 with a modified circuit assembly which included a quartz modulator. Problem! It was an expensive watch to produce, and it couldn’t compete in a market that had gravitated to cheap Japanese quartz watches.