Forums Latest Members

WRULT? (what are you listening to?)

1. propervinyl Apr 2, 2018

As with everything, it depends on the source. I have a lot of music on hard drives coded to 24/192 FLAC. These are higher resolution than CD, and the DAC makes a real difference. There is a noticeable downgrade when you stream 320k music from spotify, but even then the DAC is significantly better than the headphone jack on my laptop.

2. merchandiser Apr 2, 2018

I was just listening to this:

My older brother turned me on to this album shortly after it was released. The musicianship is amazing!

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 2, 2018

A lot. Just because it's 1's and 0's doesn't mean that there aren't gains to be made in the way the sound is processed. The DAC can make a huge difference, plus there are other technologies in some of these that assist with room optimization.

But you have to have the remainder of the system at a level to hear the difference, and of course as you go up the food chain there are diminishing returns. For me this is more relevant for high end 2 channel systems, than for a blended system that you watch movies with and also use for music.

Cheers, Al

4. khanmu Apr 2, 2018

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks - what a voice!

For audiophiles, it’s on vinyl, through my venerable Linn Sondek LP12, hooked up to my Naim gear and through Linn Keileidh speakers...

77deluxe, Mtek, Larry S and 1 other person like this.
  5. mydeafcat Apr 2, 2018

Larry S and rcs914 like this.
  6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 2, 2018

Thanks Al..Great summary. Need to do some more research. I’d say my gear is mid level or at the gateway to high end so balancing investment / returns is key.

voere likes this.
  7. propervinyl Apr 3, 2018

8. jetkins Apr 3, 2018

Rocking out this morning.

9. 77deluxe Apr 3, 2018

Astral Weeks.

propervinyl and jetkins like this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 5, 2018

Propaganda...

[​IMG]

11. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Apr 5, 2018

Occasionally I come across a bit of music that really grabs me. This one :)

For some reason I think it's the sort of song that I expect to hear just before 4 very scary horsemen appear.......

Edward53 and Larry S like this.
  12. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Apr 5, 2018

020.jpg
    SeanO, Mtek, jetkins and 1 other person like this.
  13. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Apr 6, 2018

While having my morning coffee.

015.jpg
  14. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 6, 2018

Bacs & Russo
    :cool:

Seaoftunes likes this.
  15. Edward53 Apr 6, 2018

Reminds me of this:

Mouse_at_Large likes this.
  16. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Apr 6, 2018

There is something mesmerising about this type of Bulgarian choral vocal. When you combine it with other musical styles, sometimes the results are magical. In this, genius meets genius :cool:

17. Seaoftunes Apr 6, 2018

Ordered the new album out today

77deluxe likes this.
  18. 77deluxe Apr 6, 2018

The Magnolia Electric Co.

19. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Apr 7, 2018

I have been tweaking the settings on the AV receiver I have for my home entertainment center. So far so good. I'm almost to the point I can live with it.
    However the system is middle of the road stuff. Works well for watching movies, listening to net radio or cd's. I reached a conclusion that the way my system is setup in my family room sucks. Speaker placement sucks big time.

When the weather breaks I'm going to repair the holes in the walls that were made to route cables and mount the TV to the wall. After that I will upgrade the system. I have a new in the box denon avrx8500h receiver and polk Lsim 707 speakers with a center channel lsim706c ready to be setup. I going to try and salvage some of my old sppeakes but that may not be possible.

I have to wait until the weather in my area breaks so I can get the project under way. My wife freaks out from the smell paint fumes. So I have to be able to open a few windows to clear out the paint fumes.

This time when I setup the system I will set it up the best I can. No more listening to my wife.

My wife will get upset I can live with that. The way my system now is setup my wife wanted the TV on a certain wall I get it. The TV is placed on the wall of her choice. However the speakers and just tucked in around the room without being setup for listening the way they should be.

I have a zone two system in the living room that sounds great but that is old school two channel stereo. Not the greatest for movies or gaming which the kids love to play games on.
    This time around it's my call.

20. staristheanswer Apr 7, 2018

Lovely minimal techno music..