Forums Latest Members
  1. barmy Sep 16, 2016

I'm heading to Calgary at the end of October and to my favorite store "Willow Park". They must have over 200 different single malts. What should I be looking for (already have 40 different malts).

Wetworks likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Sep 18, 2016

Finished a bottle of JJ Prüm 2002 Graacher Himmelreich Spatlese over the last 3 days, and in preparation for hosting a dinner for the wine club tomorrow night I poured a 1979 Domaine Singla Cuvée Amédée Rivesaltes into the decanter. It's a cross between vintage Colheita Port and Brandy, sort of like liquid pecan pie with butterscotch and caramel topping.

ralpher, Foo2rama, AAAKK and 2 others like this.
  3. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Sep 24, 2016

Here you see 1 of 7 different Champagners from Bollinger we tried for the very first time [​IMG] here : Bollinger Rosé

Gesendet von meinem iPhone

ralpher, Pun, Hans the Wolf and 3 others like this.
  4. Northernman Lemaniac Sep 24, 2016

Some good tasting "2010 budget Bordeaux". Sampled one. The rest will get 3-5 years in the cellar. Cheers!
    IMG_1442.JPG

5. broulstone Sep 25, 2016

[​IMG]coffee, too early for anything stronger[emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hans the Wolf and ahartfie like this.
  6. alam Sep 26, 2016

Macallan, plus a demo on the operation of the all-copper ice ball making gadget!

:)

IMG_3301.JPG IMG_3303.JPG IMG_3304.JPG IMG_3305.JPG
  7. ulackfocus Sep 26, 2016

Opened a 2005 Chateau Guiraud with Pad Thai tonight. While it was good and getting better after 30 - 40 minutes, it was obvious it needs a few more years in the cellar to hit its stride. On the plus side, Windy did enjoy it after it opened up a little and approves the purchase of some more Sauternes. She thought all Sauternes were sickening sweet with a motor oil texture and was pleasantly surprised this one had nice body without that unctuous goopiness.

8. ELV web Sep 28, 2016

Went through a whole bunch on this menu today (on the plane!). Ended the session with a glass port on the lower right.

image.jpeg
    ralpher, LawBrk, aap and 2 others like this.
  9. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Sep 28, 2016

How did you like the port? I've got a bottle of TF 20 yr old tawny on the rack but haven't popped it open yet.

ELV web likes this.
  10. gostang9 Sep 28, 2016

Enjoying a good local German Brown Ale from a rent trip to what started as a Craft Brewery, in a memento Weisen glass from a trip to our annual winter respite from the cold North.
    [​IMG]
    Enjoying while preparing dinner.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. ELV web Sep 28, 2016

It is very smooth, and how shall I put it, not as thick, which to me was a great way to end the meal!

ulackfocus and AAAKK like this.
  12. ulackfocus Sep 28, 2016

There are some Port drinkers here for sure! 10 year for me because it has less influence from the wooden barrel, then I rack it for another few. When it's between 15 and 20 I usually pop it open. Tawny can certainly be drank right off the shelf, but it's amazing what just a few years laying down does to it.

Foo2rama, aap, AAAKK and 1 other person like this.
  13. gostang9 Sep 29, 2016

I enjoy a spot of Port now and then, but not so much that I buy much of it. Certainly not enough to have a method of purchase / store / open in 'X' years.

I'm curious, does anyone drink it regularly (i.e.: few times per week)?

My wife doesn't enjoy it so a bottle lasts me 6 months - or more.

Nothing like a bottle of wine, that lasts 6 hours - or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 29, 2016

Drink a fair bit of port (bottle a week/ fortnight) and find that the minute it leaves the barrel it stops it's ageing process rapidly. Years of drinking many aged ports but different years I find that drinking a 10yo tawny 5 years later will not add as much taste as is found between barrel ageing. (10-12 aged for 10 years in the bottle will not age as good as 20 years barrel aged )

As Dennis mentioned I also find some of the best ports are 10-12yo as 20yo are always sweeter due to barrel time.

There are some great ports around and I find that like wine the expirence is tasting the different flavours in each brand and age is more enjoyable than sticking with the one. ( the difference just in the Penfolds (Brand in Australia) ageing in ports is always interesting to new port drinkers )

15. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Sep 29, 2016

So many men in this thread professing thier love for Pete!
    Ok, I confess, I have a crush too

Foo2rama and aap like this.
  16. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Sep 29, 2016

Bang on, tawny is absolutely at its peak when it goes into bottle, indeed any port which has has extended time in barrell enjoying slow oxidation giving it that classic rancio character. You can open and drink over several months amd it may open up over the first few days but then very slowly loses freshness and vivacity. Vintage port behaves much more like red wine and indeed is made in a similar way, a short spell in oak, minimal oxidation and is much less stable, so once it is open you need to consume it withing a few days to see it at its best but it will improve in bottle for many years, generally 20 at least, for great wines from great vintages, many decades more.

Foo2rama likes this.
  17. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Sep 29, 2016

WRUD? ... Ive been lucky enough over the last 6 years to choose the Royal Adelaide Wine Show dozen ... a process that starts on Monday and generally takes 4 or 5 days to sort through. I'm down to the last 13 wines, just need to whittle it by one more... reckon I'll have it nutted by tomorrow morning... some sensational wines this year, a few absolutely breathtaking, like this Cab which I am forcing myself to choke down as we speak

image.jpeg
    LawBrk and Hans the Wolf like this.
  18. abrod520 Oct 1, 2016

Starting the day with the best coffee by far in California....

image.jpeg

It's shipped, in a can, from New York (because there are no bodegas here)

ahartfie likes this.
  19. aap Oct 1, 2016

Cooked some steak tonight and opened a couple of Sociando Mallet 99s

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Oct 1, 2016

This is probably one of my favorite wines that my dad regularly has in the house so I was very happy after my 12 hour shift to find a bottle just opened and waiting for me.

image.jpg
    ralpher, ulackfocus, LawBrk and 4 others like this.