Forums Latest Members
  1. Mac-427 Apr 8, 2021

I had a chance to wear a six digit Rolex Submariner for a day. My usual 24/7 watch is my Seamaster 300M so I thought the comparison would be interesting as I'm a former Rolex collector. After 8 hours with the Sub, I was glad to give it back. In comparison to my 300M, it felt small and light, especially with respect to the band. I see lots of complaints about the width of the Seamaster band but the Rolex tapered design felt insubstantial on my wrist. Rolex makes nice watches, but in my mind, the Seamaster beats the Sub in looks and wearability. Moreover, the Caliber 8800 Omega movement is outstanding with remarkable accuracy and anti-magnetic properties.. Yes, I know it's a subjective comparison, but for me, Omega takes the win.

Seamaster.jpg
    Edited Apr 8, 2021
    myatt, sah, DJG2645 and 8 others like this.
  2. taz101 Apr 8, 2021

own both and personally im opposite the tapered bracelet is much nicer

3. Stevedssd Apr 8, 2021

I have both as well and as you say it is a subjective choice. The bracelet on the Seamaster 300m is much better than I expected especially as it doesn't taper. I have a Seamaster Trilogy which I wear on a tropic rubber strap as the untapered bracelet is so uncomfortable for me. That said whilst the 300m bracelet is good, I do think the Submariner bracelet is just a bit slicker and more comfortable. As for the watches themselves, my personal preference is the Seamaster 300m, which I wear far more often.

Alfista88 likes this.
  4. gnuyork Apr 8, 2021

You just described exactly why I would prefer to wear the Sub.

5. abgul Apr 8, 2021

I'm with you on the tapered bracelet although I prefer the Seamaster in general.

6. Major74 Apr 8, 2021

The SUB vs SM debate comes down to a matter of taste in the end I suppose. I was reading a lot of "why they prefer sub to SM" on WUS and rolex forums and it's rather embarrassing to read people down play the SM so much on how the finishing is poor, the bezel action sucks etc... Objectively, the SM is a better watch IMO with the movement, materials etc. That said I'd still rather have a green sub (Hulk). I prefer the styling over the SM. I find black divers bland.

sah likes this.
  7. Farmer Apr 8, 2021

I too have the good fortune to own both, Sub is my daily wearer all the way

EauTerre and blufinz52 like this.
  8. guppydriver Apr 8, 2021

I’d say I personally prefer the 300M. I think the biggest advantage it has over the Sub is that I can actually buy one. Subject to change if I’m ever deemed worthy by my Rolex AD.

Major74 likes this.
  9. Major74 Apr 8, 2021

Can't argue with that. Although with everyday passing, I'm becoming more and more turned away from Rolex for this sort of behaviour. Even if they do a U-turn on this, I'm not sure they deserve it. After all plenty of other brands who sell watches too :)

10. AngelDeVille Apr 8, 2021

I have/am gotten less divey in my watch selection, but sometimes I miss my Seamaster pro.

I was always super impressed with how well it fit and felt. It never felt to heavy or too large.

I do very much like Rolex, but the availability is a bit depressing.. I am hopeful for the 36 explorer....

11. Blackdog Apr 10, 2021

It is a matter of taste first and foremost. Two very different design languages.
    The rest is rationalising attempts to justify a choice.

"Better" is always subjective. I have seen the phrase "Sub killer" brought up many times in reference to different watches over the years, and the Sub is well and healthy. Just saying....

Even though I do not own the 2018 300M (I almost bought one three times), I do own a first gen chrono-diver 300M, a 300MC and a 2500D PO. And right now I'm wearing a 5-digit Seadweller.

Comfort wise, I like the Rolex the most: lightness, tapering, weight balance, the lot. Seamasters' bracelets tend to be significantly heavier, which I find to be a negative.
    Technical specs seem to be in favour of the Omegas lately with their latest generation of excellent movements. But in terms of iconic status there's simply no comparison: one is the evolution of the iconic watch that helped define tool watches in the 50s, the other is the evolution of a fashion oriented dress diver of the early 90s, that would probably be forgotten now were it not for the connection to a well known franchise...

But this is just my opinion, of course.

Edited Apr 10, 2021
    sgav8r, gnuyork, mbeast and 1 other person like this.
  12. pipalextom Apr 10, 2021

I sold my white seamaster 300m as part exchange for a new 41mm sub date and haven’t looked back.

As much as I enjoyed the seamaster, in my opinion the sub just has a more comfortable feel and just feels more special all over, I can’t really put my finger on why.

13. Dan S Apr 10, 2021

They are both good watches, but neither are really keepers for me. I'm still hanging onto the Sub, but it's only worn a few times a year.

IMG_0199.jpg
    sub_16610.jpeg

14. Alfista88 Apr 10, 2021

For me, it's the comfort that's the deciding factor in preferring the Sub. Even my two-tone 116613 feels lighter on the wrist than my older generation stainless steel 2220.80. The current generation 300m grew even bulkier.

But if going back 2-3 generations on both models, I much prefer the 2254, 2531, & GMT's of that pre-Coaxial era Seamasters over 5-digit Subs. The bracelets on ceramic Subs were a big leap forward, and what ultimately drew me to Rolex.

Build quality-wise, I haven't found any major faults with any Omega and Rolex watches I've owned over the years. Other than cases of white lume material falling off and getting stuck on the crystal-underside of my Globemaster. But I purchased 1 of the very early production Globemasters in 2016 (the Beverly Hills OB said it was the first one they received, and AD's didn't stock it until months later that year). And OB's up & down the California coast were always easy to work with, to send that watch in for service each time new lume bits fell off.

Movement-wise, I do like how the date change is instantaneous on Rolex calibers. Compared to the slow, gradual change that plays out over 45 minutes - an hour on Omega movements.

15. nicolamilton Apr 10, 2021

I have 2 Omegas, had SMP and currently have a 114060.
    Omega SMP just can't compare with Rolex submariner.

16. sah Apr 10, 2021

When I went to Las Vegas I ended up spending a fair amount of time in the Rolex and Omega boutiques. Walked into the Rolex boutique wearing a tritium Sea Dweller. Struck up a conversation with the sales person who recognized it immediately. She indicated they have no divers in the boutique. I did browse through the other Rolex watches. There was really nothing there that attracted me. There was a lot of precious metal watches but in general even they just did not have any appeal to me. The lack of divers was likely the reason.

When I went to the Omega it was like Disneyland. Pretty much every watch I wanted to look at was there. I went in wanting to check out the new Speedmaster to see if it’s edges were sharp as the forums claimed them to be. I actually found it to be quite a nice case and overall was good but again not a dive watch, so I did not get it. I did look at the Planet ocean (which my wife got for me) and now it’s my number one wear. I do have a SMPc 300 which I have not worn in several months.

I wore the Sea Dweller yesterday at work and couldn’t wait to get home for my Planet Ocean. I kept looking at the SD dial, and may have missed the bright orange colors. It is clearly a better watch than the Rolex in most every way
    may be the newness, or color). Also, I did not know somethings about it like the jump hour feature. Seems like that is going to keep me from buying a GMT model in the future.

( BFC5A330-B220-4984-B3D2-D31B7AE678F2.jpeg A42A9084-C133-441F-8D24-5A7A803F9D8C.jpeg 588C621C-9CD2-4A53-ACC9-D18EE27505BC.jpeg

Forerunner and Tekashi_145.022 like this.