Forums Latest Members
  1. robj Jun 7, 2020

Hi there, my wife bought me this Seamaster many years ago.
    I have been told that it is mid 60s, est 1965.
    I wondered if anyone could verify that for me, based on the photos.
    Also I’d like to know what material is used on the hands, whether it’s radium or other.
    If it is radium, can it be de-lumed? Would the other parts of the watch emit radiation with the original material removed? It’s not an area I know anything about, so please forgive the ignorance.
    Thanks for any help.

Seamaster1.jpg Seamaster2.jpg
  2. SkunkPrince Jun 7, 2020

Need the reference/case number and the serial number on the movement to guess at a date.... and it's just a guess.

As for possible radium, I wouldn't worry. Just don't swallow the hands and the dial.

3. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 7, 2020

It’s likely not early enough to have Radium. It’ll probably have the much less dangerous and now virtually inert tritium lume. Radium was gone by ~1962 and as you suggest that model looks mid 60s but you’ll need the model number and serial to be sure. It looks like a 165.002 model.

4. Dr.K Jun 7, 2020

Sometime prior to 65 IMO

robj and Benbradstock like this.
  5. omegawatchlover Jun 8, 2020

That's a nice seamaster, I've got the same coming in but gold! Also, second that it's not radium. Tritium would be right for its age. Check to see if there's T's on the bottom of the dial with SWISS MADE

robj likes this.
  6. robj Jun 8, 2020

Thanks. It has Swiss Made T at the bottom of the dial. Does the T stand for Tritium?

7. wilderbeast Jun 8, 2020

Yes.

8. JwRosenthal Jun 8, 2020

Just a note on if you try to open the watch yourself with a squash ball- wash the ball with dish soap and rinse well with water- oils from your hands will make it slip. Also, there is (or should be) a waterproof gasket between the case back and case- these can very easily get kinked when you reapply the back or you could cross thread the back when trying to put it back on- it’s a careful process (second nature to watch guys but not to most novices), so if you’re not comfortable with it, let a watchmaker do it for you. And if it hasn’t been serviced in the last decade- it’s due anyway.

VintageMasters likes this.