Forums Latest Members

Where are all the Alaska Projects...?...

1. nismo May 26, 2021

+1 absolutely. Lots of speculation in collectibles and watches right now. The FOMO is getting out of hand and won't end well.

2. keepsonticking May 26, 2021

. Here’s mine. 06EF4C8D-4E8B-40CC-A42F-132B874FFE04.jpeg

Edited May 26, 2021
  3. pdxleaf ... May 26, 2021

More like zero percent interest. Stimulus checks are chump change and don't buy 25k watches, especially if the buyer isn't in the US.

All collectibles are off the chart, cars, watches, baseball cards. Other assets like houses, lumber have followed. Lots of cheap money chasing too few assets is all that's needed.

Buy the watch you like but what you can also afford. (The same goes for 1988 Porsche Targas. These have REALLY gone crazy.) Anything else is a crying game.

IMHO.

Also, great watch, Eugene. It's got a great story and pretty unique (for a speedmaster) from other speedys.

4. cap1 May 27, 2021

5. Fatcat May 27, 2021

I remember 3 months ago when I purpose one for 15K and people where not willing to buy ant that price , now 10K more for shure no one will buy it now incredible but nin understandable , I remember how many months or even years they stay at OB , even OB sent them back to HQ because no way to sale it.

6. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' May 28, 2021

Similar can be said for most rediculously priced vintage/neo-vintage watches not too long ago (pennies to the dollar). At any day on C24 you can find hundreds of ‘rare’ rolexes that were produced in the 10s/100s of thousands over a decade+ for these kinds of prices ::screwloose:: (but that’s not the topic! These are nowhere to be found...)

gippo likes this.
  7. Fatcat May 28, 2021

at least i know for 3 of them :))))))

pdxleaf and eugeneandresson like this.
  8. percymon May 28, 2021

There seems to be plenty of money for luxury goods and asking prices have risen accordingly. Whether they actually sell at those prices is another matter but I suppose if enough are advertised at that level, and someone wants one enough, then that’s the sort of money they’ll have to pay.

there have been several ST2s on uk eBay for 6+ months at £10.5-£11k; encouraging ore owned listings at £7-9k.

9. SpeedyMcNasty May 28, 2021

I’d love to trade my tintin for an alaska project. It’s the only white dial watch I like.

eugeneandresson likes this.
  10. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' May 28, 2021

I sold my TinTin for 4.7k about 1 month before they suddenly started selling for 9k. Still, I do not miss it, and also prefer the Alaska (it’s waaaaaay better than any Snoopy:D)

11. keepsonticking May 28, 2021

It's a watch that the market is valuing at a given price range due to demand and lack of supply. A couple of members seem to have been personally injured by an Alaska Project. PTSD?

This thread shows about a half dozen APs owned by members, including mine, and this is easily the largest Omega/Speedmaster community on the planet. That's a very small number given the number of active Speedmaster owners posting here weekly. So the posts saying "weren't there just a million of these sitting at Omega Dealers last week" and "yeah, no one could sell one for 4k just a year ago"....or "I couldn't get anyone to trade me pocket lint for a crap Alaska Project just 6 months ago"...I would note that I could buy 2998s in great shape for 5k usd just 10 yrs ago. Things have a way of changing over time, and the AP was produced in small numbers, it's attractive, has no cartoon animals on the dial, has a link to history, and has very unique accessories. The boxes and accessories alone would bring 5k or more now. Are they worth 40k? Not likely. Have they sold over 20k? Certainly. They jumped a lot in just the last year.

Edited May 29, 2021
    blubarb, time flies, myatt and 4 others like this.
  12. Fridge Jun 1, 2021

I wear mine on the black Snoopy strap. It’s the corduroy one. With the deployment clasp. I reckon that’s the way to go.

raclaims likes this.
  13. f3dbca Jun 2, 2021

I do wonder if, one by one, the recent modern LE’s will become “hot” and have their prices jump to these kind of levels. The Alaska project price had been fairly stable for about 4 years before this jump, sat around the £8-£12k that most of the LEs are at (ST1, Gemini, Soyuz, Apollo 35th etc etc). There isn’t any obvious reason other than hype/newfound interest for such a sudden jump in price.

I saw an AP in a dealer’s in London 12/18 months ago for about £10k in great condition (and passed - hindsight is 20/20). I’m always a bit suspicious of anything which jumps in price so quickly in such a short period of time. A quick look at the crypto/stock market news from the first half of the year doesn’t paint a great picture of rapid asset value appreciation. Although the watch market does seem to always be bucking that trend!

nismo and befobe like this.
  14. raclaims Jun 2, 2021

sounds interesting...can you post a pic?

15. mk2rick Jun 3, 2021

im also curious whats sparking this stampede for the the white alaskan proj.. it didnt feel very sought after only 12 months ago!

16. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 3, 2021

I don’t think it’s a stampede...more like a ‘dry up of supply’ as owners are happy and no one is selling (and that’s usually when the price goes up ... supply/demand etc).

blubarb, rominvicta and befobe like this.
  17. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 5, 2021

Another great combo…

54FF08C3-29B8-4433-823C-6467AA30642D.jpeg

18. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner Jun 5, 2021

Well,

instead of an Alaska Project, you can get very close with the Snoopy and the new 'allwhite' NASA NATO from Omega :cool:

DSC_9350.1.jpg

... but: The Snoopy2 is even more expensive than the Alaska ::bleh::

DSC_9357.jpg

BR
    Hans

Thrasher36, CTS-V, vadimo and 3 others like this.
  19. befobe Jun 5, 2021

You're surely right. The example of the Apollo-Soyuz 35th could confirm that: roughly the same number of units, stable price, because all over the world, there are always 1 or 2 or 3 to sell. Never zero. Never x10. But the right quantity to make the price stable, always around 10k USD/EUR...

20. VjaceCZ Jun 5, 2021

As far as I know C24 estimation is based on deals proceeded through their platform. And as we all know the real price is often much different to the price tag mentioned in the ad.