Forums Latest Members

When a 2017 Novelties dream comes true...

1. tyrantlizardrex Jul 23, 2022

I'm not sure if anyone still remembers, but back in 2017 Jaeger-LeCoultre launched a set of 3 watches to celebrate 25 years of the Master Control line with sector dials - a date, a chronograph, and a geographic.

I was invited to a "Novelties" event at the then newly re-opened JLC boutique in London, and was frankly, totally smitten with the geographic, but sadly the nearly £10k asking price put it way out my reach.

I had made piece with the idea that I would never own this watch, but it's funny how things align sometimes.

Earlier this year I decided to let the Speedmaster Tintin that I'd bought new in 2016 (when the world of watch pricing was slightly less mad) go, and decided that I would put half whatever I got for it back into watches, and the other half into the bank to pay for the cost of keeping a toddler fed, watered and clothed.

A wonderful member of this forum took it off my hands, and with the help of some fantastic friends, it made it's way to the north of the island, where I am led to believe it is being thoroughly enjoyed.

At the same time, a European grey market dealer that I do some freelance copywriting/localisation for mentioned that there was a brand new, 2017 JLC Master Control Geographic Sector Dial sat in one of their partner dealers vaults, and that they could probably get a pretty decent price given that it was discontinued, and that as the dealer was no longer a JLC AD (they had been when they'd bought the watch into stock) they couldn't put it in the window.

Long story short, we did a deal (which I suspect could/would never be repeated), and I am now the very proud owner of said watch (along with the JLC 8 year warranty!).

T4APJuly2022.jpg

It ships on a 20/16mm alligator strap with a pin buckle, which I am not too keen on, and is also too short for my big wrists, so I've decided to spend the summer wearing it on a Eulit Navy Blue Panama two piece Perlon, and have a couple of customs straps inbound for the Autumn.

I continue to be entirely smitten with this watch, and now NEED to vacation in ST BARTS just to make use of the complication correctly! ::love::

flqt-9000, MCC, Fallout Boy and 41 others like this.
  2. Nupero Jul 23, 2022

Nice story and congrats on your new watch! You probably want to get those hands relumed as the old luminous material has fallen off. Otherwise the watch seems to be in good condition!

;)

ConElPueblo, Eve, Joe_A and 1 other person like this.
  3. Horoticus Jul 23, 2022

Glad to hear the toddler is well fed, clothed and watered. ;)

And that’s a beautiful watch! Wear it and enjoy it. :thumbsup:

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  4. Davidt Jul 23, 2022

A big part of me wants to buy a JLC but aside from the Reverso which I know I’d hardly ever wear, I can never find anything to grab me. This is one I haven’t seen before though - looks great

Edited Jul 23, 2022
  5. tyrantlizardrex Jul 23, 2022

I'm very much with you David, and I think it's fair to say that these were a bit of an anomaly that drew people in (and then once they were gone, gave those people nowhere else to go in the collection).

Suffice it to say that the "traditional" geographic layout (this is the updated version, but they all look kinda like this) doesn't do it for me:

mcgeo.png

Davidt likes this.
  6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 23, 2022

I really liked these sector dials when they came out. They were quite polarizing however. One of the charms of the MC line was the understated designs for me. My RG Triple is still one of my fave watches. Nice catch. What the new Management team, it does seem like JLC is pushing boundaries a bit.

Edited Jul 23, 2022
  7. wrist time Jul 23, 2022

Do we get to see a wrist shot?

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 23, 2022

When you get a JLC at a discount off MSRP its hard to match the value for quality almost anywhere else, its just such an astonishing amount of brilliantly finished watch for the money. That looks terrific!

Scarecrow Boat, Eve, Foo2rama and 5 others like this.
  9. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jul 23, 2022

Congrats on this. I tried one on recently, and can imagine you are loving it.

10. cvalue13 Jul 23, 2022

I didn’t need to know about this variant

:thumbsup:

11. tyrantlizardrex Jul 23, 2022

Thanks Ash! It’s such a lovely thing in the metal, and as you say the quality/finish (particularly for the price I paid) is spectacular.

I am now firmly a JLC convert!

Edited Jul 23, 2022
    neilfrancis and Larry S like this.
  12. tyrantlizardrex Jul 23, 2022

Not today! I’m not wearing it and I don’t have any.

13. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jul 23, 2022

One of the best kinds of watch stories. Your grail is magnificent, congratulations!

tyrantlizardrex and Foo2rama like this.
  14. Ron_W Jul 23, 2022

Lovely watch, one of my favorite designs for a world timer/dual time zone. Looks great so you will have many happy days with it !

15. Eve Jul 23, 2022

Congratulations on the nice watch :thumbsup:

Few years ago i had a chance to purchase the sector dial MC Date, also at a very good price, but somehow hesitated and never seen such an offer again.. those were priced fairly at MSRP to begin with. So if you got a good discount it must have been a nobrainer.

16. Bourne1984 Jul 23, 2022

Congratulations that is a fantastic watch. As I also am the current owner of a second toddler I should add the split should always be 70/30 in terms of watch over kids food and water. Don’t spoil them to much or they could end up like the current crop of youngsters.

17. Jonathan40 Jul 23, 2022

So happy that it happened to you. I believe good things happen to good people and you sir are a good person.
    Enjoy the new addition it’s beautiful.

Larry S and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  18. flw history nerd Jul 23, 2022

Absolutely stunning watch, and such a great story about how you acquired it. Patience and good fortune!

My sales associate at the local Boutique has moved to Paris (he found it more appealing than Troy, Michigan, for some unfathomable reason), and is now working at one of the Omega Boutiques there. Before he left, we had him over for supper to see him off. He wore a Reverso that evening, and I had never seen a JLC up close before. I'm smitten - I'd love to get one in the fullness of time (no pun intended), after our son is finished with university. (Until then, no more watches!)

19. chronolux Mar 5, 2023

stunning watch, and such a great story - patience pays off.

20. tinkercompanies Mar 11, 2023

beauitful strap!