Forums Latest Members

2022 Omega Novelties (in the flesh)

1. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 20, 2022

It seems like just a few weeks ago that I got to see last years novelties...

Lets cut to the chase and dive DEEP.

IMG_9597.JPG

There has been some serious meme-age of these watches and some Rolex counterparts (i.e. Deep Sea in this particular model, the OP's and Daytona's below). Honestly though, in the flesh these are so much better in execution (I can't speak for the Daytona's, as those I have not had in hand, but the rest I have) on the points that have been allegedly 'copied'.

IMG_9598.JPG

I never once thought 'Rolex Deep Sea'. The graduation from the bezel to the center of the dial is just fab - I was looking forward to see the orange/brown one, but that was not there. If you have ever put on a Rolex Deep Sea, you would undoubtedly have noticed that it looks and feels its proportions (I remember it looking/feeling mega-top-heavy, and too much for my wrist). The most surprising thing to me with the 'Ultra Deep' was the case. Whilst its a thick watch, they have made it feel compact on the wrist...as though the case shape/layout makes an optical illusion in 3D and appears smaller than it is (like Doctor Who's Tardis). It felt good on my wrist. And the new bracelet/clasp is fantastic (didn't take a pic of the clasp unfortunately).

IMG_9599.JPG

And here is a ridiculous watch ... I absolutely love it ... when they made that gargantuan specimen in 2019, I too was hoping they would scale it down to 'human' proportions ...

IMG_9600.JPG

I say ridiculous because it feels like nothing on the wrist...light as a feather. I think these will all sell well...

IMG_9601.JPG

Love these lugs. Very much Tudor FXD ... I am surprised nobody has meme'd the crap out of Tudor(Rolex) for stealing this design ;)

And then there is this beauty.

IMG_9596.JPG

This green is not suited to OB lighting. How can they even compare this to the 'Hulk'?! ::facepalm2:: It is nothing alike.

IMG_9602.JPG

I don't gravitate toward these, so have not much to say about it, other than I like this green (and I don't like the 'Starbucks/Hulk' bezel green).

IMG_9604.JPG

Then there was this beauty. I should have taken a pic of the movement as well ... beautiful.

IMG_9603.JPG

Also worth noting (and I didn't take a pic, was too overwhelmed) : the crystal is domed. So when you look at the side profile, it is parabolic. Just lovely. Whilst the size suited my wrist, to me its shy of a home-run due to that size (40mm IIRC) ... it should have been round the 37mm mark. That silver dial though is a thing of great beauty...

IMG_9605.JPG

I had zero desire to try on the white dialed DEEP.

Onto the Speedies.

IMG_9606.JPG

These new Speedmaster 57's are very well executed ... especially the one with the sandwich dial. They have a similar movement to the Chronoscopes. The most outstanding part of them is the case-bracelet combo. They have bracelets like the Apollo 11 50th anniversary Speedmaster (so, 100% perfect), and the lug shape (should have taken a side-profile pic) is just beautiful : it reminds me of the new 321 ... but having a thicker base ... so the cutting is even more curved when looking into the lugs. It is just beautiful.

IMG_9607.JPG IMG_9609.JPG

The bracelets are very very good. I am a fan. Being a regular Speedy wearer, I just couldn't get used to the dial layout and proportions.

IMG_9615.JPG

These colored '57's left me a bit cold...

IMG_9610.JPG

And then there was this ::love:: Definitely the pick of the batch for me (price-tag aside).

IMG_9611.JPG

The bracelets are quite different (the polished central links, and the clasp is much bigger and a bit wider, so the taper too).

IMG_9612.JPG
    IMG_9613.JPG

This one surprisingly left me colder then I expected...perhaps due to lack of bracelet, and perhaps due to this being a very nuanced green under unflattering OB lighting ... I would like to see it again ...

IMG_9617.JPG
    Wish I could have taken that box home!

Seeing these in the flesh has changed my opinion on the whole 'Rolex clone' meme-age regarding the OP's (I have seen those too, on multiple occasion). The colors and dials are nothing alike. Its difficult to put a label on these colors. Unlike the OPs' which are flat and monotone, these are dynamic and change. The 'saffron' color truly reminded me of saffron in reality (for those of you who cook...)...

IMG_9620.JPG

Again, I should have taken more pics from different angles ... in some angles it was yellow ... in others with hints of orange. I wish Rolex did this with their OPs ... I felt nothing when I saw them (except for 1 color, the rest to me are just boring as hell in hand) even though I do prefer the cases and bracelets and dial layout/furniture of the OPs to these AT's.

The stand-out color to my current whims and fancies was this. I don't know what to call it and I can't remember the name, so I henceforth dub it the Aqua Terra 'Aperol-Spritz' for those who know the color (and taste) of that lovely cocktail which can't really be captured in photos ...

IMG_9623.JPG IMG_9624.JPG
    ::love::::love::::love::

IMG_9626.JPG

IMG_9625.JPG IMG_9627.JPG

Just lovely.

IMG_9628.JPG
    The top row were especially interesting to me ... each one is a different color and like the 'Saffron' and the 'Aperol Spritz' each has its own unique color pallet.. I also found the 'Petrol' dialed one (feel free to submit your guesses which that is) pulling some strings. Omega outdid Rolex here with the dials IMHO.

My only problem with the Omega of new, and it has fast become the elephant in the room for me, is their price.

Hence why this one from last year still torments me, and I am not prepared to do a thing about it anytime soon ...

IMG_9629.JPG

Edited Mar 20, 2022
  2. vintage38 Mar 20, 2022

Thanks for the reviews and pics. Omega continues to raise the bar especially with the new novelties 2022. I have a deposit on the Green Seamaster, nice to see it in the flesh. The Ultra Deeps look fantastic, just unsure of size for my wrist. Hopefully we'll see a updated Planet Ocean similar to the new UDs, just more wearable for smaller wrists.

Edited Mar 21, 2022
    ChronoB and sah like this.
  3. Mspeedster Mar 20, 2022

Great pics, thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

I especially appreciate the side by side comparison of the new Speedy '57 next to the Trilogy. The new '57 looks huge in comparison.
    [​IMG]

4. watcholone Mar 20, 2022

Thanks Eugene for sharing your pics! I'm really excited about the Ultra Deep and when I look at your pictures they totally look wearable. I'm invited to a preview on Wednesday and I'm really looking forward to trying them on.
    And the AT with the red dial: exciting as well - the changing color effect depending on the light - Omega has done this already on several other occasions. But with this dial they are taking it to another level.

eugeneandresson likes this.
  5. Pompous92 Mar 20, 2022

Very cool pictures and the side-by-sides are great - similar to the user above the new 57 looks huge compared to the Trilogy model, for me. I think the larger registers really blow the scale up in a way that I didnt appreciate without the context of the other watch beside it.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 20, 2022

That yellow dial is very nice...

7. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Mar 20, 2022

Thankfully, I can still source 60s/70s 34/34.5 diameter models!

8. pdxleaf ... Mar 20, 2022

Am I the only one who looked up "Aperol Spritz"?

Not only is it an apt name for this watch, (which deserves to be forever associated with this watch), now I gotta buy some Aperol, as well as that watch.

Hadn't considered this new AT (not that I disliked it), but seeing it on your wrist in that light makes me think of vacation on a hot summer day. I love my Speedmasters as much as any guy, but hard to imagine anything better than wearing that Aperol Spritz on a beach in a silk/linen shirt.

Spring is in the air!

eugeneandresson and Pun like this.
  9. Orinoco111 Mar 20, 2022

Super review and great pics. Thank you

pdxleaf and eugeneandresson like this.
  10. PandaSPUR Mar 20, 2022

The tapering of the case really makes the Ultra Deep look quite wearable.

I was pretty set on the titanium version but now seeing your pics of the black one has me reconsidering.
    I probably wont be able to pick one until I get a chance to see both in person myself..

11. desertwanderer Mar 21, 2022

Great review! Nice to hear from someone who has actually handled the watches up close rather than looking at pictures and whining about copying rolex or the date windows. My local OB said these wouldn't be available until autumn in the UAE, are they getting released elsewhere sooner if you are able to try this stuff on?

12. nicolamilton Mar 21, 2022

How better look the 3 subdials. Trilogy for me all the way.

13. Cuttysark Mar 21, 2022

I would love to try the Ultra deep Ti and the green Seamaster 300 diver.. :)

14. Twocats Married... with children Mar 21, 2022

Here in Luxembourg it has been all the rage for quite some time. We even have the glasses at home for when friends pop in and fancy one. I dont drink so can not attest to the flavour but I do agree with the new name of the seamster as being a perfect fit.

pdxleaf likes this.
  15. M'Bob Mar 21, 2022

Thanks. Going to be saving some money this year…

16. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 21, 2022

You should, plus some prosecco and sparkling water (if the prosecco is good, skip the water ;) ). Here in bad light ... but in the sun its a match to this dial imho...

IMG_0497.jpg

Nupero, gostang9, Tequila-007 and 2 others like this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 21, 2022

It was all the rage at tennis events a few years ago...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nupero, eugeneandresson and pdxleaf like this.
  18. ChronoB Mar 21, 2022

If the new Speedy 57 with the sandwich dial had white loom I would be drooling over it, but that aged lume just looks...dull. I'm not someone that instantly dismisses a watch because it has aged or tan lume. Sometimes its appropriate and looks good. Missed opportunity here that that they didn't also offer it with white lume. Same thing with the Seamaster line.

19. orlis Mar 21, 2022

Any idea when this one will be officially announced? Did not see any official info about it
    DBBDEA5F-DAB2-4524-A776-98059A041119.jpeg

Mach, mzzleather and 4011021 like this.
  20. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 21, 2022

I didn't ask, but they will know about it. I did ask the price...think it was round 8k...

scapa likes this.