Forums Latest Members

2021 Omega Novelties (in the flesh)

1. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 9, 2021

Hi ΩF

As per usual, I grabbed the opportunity when it presented itself to me to go and see the new Omega novelties in the flesh. And here are some pictures with a few impressions. The focus is not always a hit in some shots .. sorry! It is quite a challenge taking pictures on a phone with a gloved hand. That said, the biggest drawback as you most likely know, is the lighting and shadows in boutiques, especially those without windows to let in the natural light. It is the worst for looking at watches, and even worse for photography. My local boutique has floor to ceiling windows, so great lighting under normal circumstances on the main floor, however whenever something that requires special attention happens (like showing off all the new watches), its usually down downstairs in the 'bar/chill zone'. I had an hour, and could have taken more pics, but as usual staring usually takes preference.

(This also goes to show what a great job the watch journalists do e.g. Fratello et al when photographing watches).

IMG_7385.jpg

Bravo. These are (in my opinion) a huge improvement over the discontinued models. The immediate feeling I had was 'dimensions are proportioned correctly'...I always had the opposite feeling with the older ones...kind of a bit clunky in places. I like the aluminum bezel, and how its a match in color and texture to the anthracite dial. Top picture out of focus (sorry!). The lollipop is fab, and the layered dial is brilliantly executed and is something that will keep ones star-shaped-eyes busy IMHO.

IMG_7386.jpg

For this occasion, I wore my Trilogy (on Uncle Seiko flatlink) as the comparison, because, OG. Same same but quite different beasts (love my Trilogy!). The new bracelet is, like the watch, a huge improvement and very well executed. It has a nice taper, and is more refined than the old...it is not much thicker than the Uncle Seiko...it reminds me of the new 321 Speedy and Apollo 11 50th anniversary bracelets which are just a little bit thicker than the vintage inspirations, but a lot more solid/robust and well engineered. The clasp (didn't take pics) however is quite a lot thicker than the bracelet (reminiscent of the Trilogy clasps), but a lot narrower due to the taper. This may put some of you off...not certain it would bother me.

IMG_7388.jpg

Better focus. That dial ::love::

IMG_7389.jpg

Onto the blue...

IMG_7390.jpg

Also full ::love::...

IMG_7391.jpg

I don't have a clear favorite and would have a hard time picking. The amount of black (and lack of blue) dials in my collection might sway me in this direction ...

And onto one of my top two picks of the new releases...

IMG_7387.jpg

Out-of-focus (sorry!)...

IMG_7392.jpg

This is my pick of the bunch. Looks so good on my wrist, and with my skin-tone (and would be even better in summer). didn't take a wrist shot...didnt want to clip it in...

IMG_7393.jpg

Horrible lighting!

IMG_7394.jpg

These photos (and the boutique lighting) don't do this watch justice. My impressions were that it is a stealth-watch. It feels more bronze than gold (perhaps because it has more bronze than gold in it). Would have preferred to see this one in natural lighting. I can't help to question the lack of a bracelet...

But for me the star of the show was this stealthy beast.

IMG_7395.jpg
    IMG_7396.jpg

Even legible in shadow (IMO...can argue this point) - spot light vertical plane is behind the caseback in this shot, and my body is blocking out the other light sources, so is in full shadow. I find the contrast of the dial/hands/lume with their different shapes (and the waves) and tones really outstanding on this 'black black'...more so than on the black black speedy.

IMG_7397.jpg

Face up, not catching light.

IMG_7398.jpg

Face up, catching light.

100% ::love:: ... but that's just me.

IMG_7399.jpg

The strap is very comfortable, but quite light in comparison to the head.

Then, because its always great having a show and tell, I was shown the following Deville Tresors with small seconds and Power-Reserve indicators.

IMG_7400.jpg
    IMG_7401.jpg

Their dials like flirting with light and never look the same from a different angle. They are wonderful...

IMG_7402.jpg

IMG_7403.jpg

A golden bridge for the golden case...

IMG_7404.jpg

One of my favorite staff members who loves talking watches, and showing his picks on the wrist...

The following sequence of shots are taken in the same position, but with slight rotation of the dial to attempt to highlight how it plays with the light...

IMG_7405.jpg IMG_7406.jpg IMG_7407.jpg IMG_7408.jpg IMG_7409.jpg

My only take on these were : I prefer the central seconds. They look classic and timeless, yet modern (due to proportions and case shape)...they are however not watches for me.

The above watches have 65h power reserve (I may be off a bit, might be a bit less), and those with power-reserve-indicators are 80h. I did not look too much at these...they were much of a muchness...

IMG_7410.jpg

The Speedy straps...

IMG_7411.jpg

Great straps, totally dislike the advertising. I jokingly (and honestly) mentioned this to management, and told them that unfortunately I do not have the matching underwear to pull off the straps...if I did, these would be for me.

Another impression I got (this is the second time I see the new Speedies) is : the 'Omega Speedmaster Professional' font jumps out to my eye...it feels more prominent than older watches...and the corrected 1/3 second division markings...both make a strange impression to my pedant eyes. I still haven't decided if it is good or bad...however I do really like the blacker step dials and the new cases and bracelets...

Then, just because I can't get enough of these...

IMG_7412.jpg

The Canopus Gold would be my pick.
    IMG_7413.jpg

IMG_7414.jpg

Discussion with the Sedna gold was about different gold alloys and skin tone ... this particular model we felt best suited to a sunbathed-brown tan, and summer...however I think it looks great in the above shot on lack of tan...and just look at that dial!

As much as I love these, I feel they exist to simply reinforce my decision to jump on the A11 50th Moonshine Gold bandwagon (thanks to the ultra-influencers RJ and Mike for literally pushing that watch into my hands (and face :D) at the last Baselworld #RIP ... which totally 180degree changed my opinion and made me order one the next day ... fickleness thy name is watchcollector ::facepalm2::)

The conversation was going strong at this point, and I hadn't seen one of these, so out it was with it...

IMG_7418.jpg

The lights do this no justice (like most).

IMG_7415.jpg

This is a neat beast of a tool watch packed with gadgets. I havent yet figured out what the disc under the 3 o'clock register does yet...it was one of the first things I noticed. Next cool gadget was the chrono lock (on the left...beneath the HeV, that I didn't think to photograph ::facepalm2::)...busy sailors can start their chrono and lock it so that working on deck will not mess with it...

IMG_7416.jpg
    IMG_7417.jpg

Tried (and failed) to capture it properly...

Apparently there are some new Aqua Terras as well...also with small seconds.

IMG_7419.jpg

This was the most interesting one to me. I can't help to feel the date windows destroys the running seconds though.

IMG_7420.jpg

...and same in gold...

IMG_7421.jpg
    IMG_7422.jpg
    IMG_7423.jpg

Great watches...

And because I had 10 minutes left...something for the ladies!

IMG_7424.jpg IMG_7425.jpg

And that was my hour, done.

Edited Apr 10, 2021
  2. YY77 Apr 9, 2021

Great post sharing the new stuff, tnx.

eugeneandresson likes this.
  3. abrod520 Apr 9, 2021

Awesome post, would love to go see some of these myself.

I have the same reaction to the new Speedmaster, though I think I'm getting used to it. (Have not seen one in person yet though)

4. marcn Enough space to say witty Apr 9, 2021

Well done, thank you for this!

5. vitriol Apr 9, 2021

Deville Tresor dials are incredible under the light.
    AT with a small second also looks surprisingly nice.

6. Dedlock Apr 9, 2021

my jaw hit the floor when I saw the seamaster 300m "live" pics they look much better than any of the promo shots we have seen so far, IMO they are head over heels better than the predecessor the dial looks amazingly balanced and more substantial in quality!

Those tresors also looks amzing, OMega have really done great with this 2021 novelties so far, the aqua terra's ill need a better look though so far I'm not feeling them but we'll see.

thank you for these!

richiv, pdxleaf and eugeneandresson like this.
  7. Jetguy87 Apr 9, 2021

Thank you for these pictures and write up -- these are awesome! If you don't mind sharing, where is your boutique?

Do you know, or did they say, if the new bracelet fits on the discontinued 300 Master Co-Axial?

8. AntonisCy Apr 9, 2021

Thanks for the great shots :thumbsup:

9. scapa Apr 9, 2021

Amazing post and pix -- many thanks!

I love that new SM 300 -- it may be the watch I finally flip my SMP Diver for. Just beautiful.

Also interesting to see the Black Black up close -- still not my cuppa, but impressive for sure. And those Tresor dials are remarkable -- reminiscent of the GO Panoramas in the textures and dynamic ways they play with light. A much more diverse and compelling set of new releases than I expected, and puts some other marques to shame, IMO.

10. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 9, 2021

Zurich. It’s appointment only (Covid and that) and I think the watches make their rounds next Tuesday...

Sorry, didn’t think to ask...

Jetguy87 likes this.
  11. Fabulon Apr 9, 2021

Thanks a lot for this presentation. Great!

I think the blue seamaster 300 is gonna be my next watch. Or maybe the black one. Well done omega. I had the previous model and sold it but miss it ever since. the new one is even greater i think.

12. Jetguy87 Apr 9, 2021

Thanks -- just might have to ring them up myself tomorrow then ;)

13. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 9, 2021

Or maybe the blue one. Or maybe the black one. Or maybe... :D

It’s hard to choose. If you can, ask to see them both in natural light...ie next to a window facing the street with open sky...I think that will assist the choice greatly.

befobe, pdxleaf and Fabulon like this.
  14. PandaSPUR Apr 9, 2021

Thanks for this!

I was interested in the Black Black and its two-tone variation with Sedena gold. I guess they didnt have that version available to see?

15. neill1975 Apr 9, 2021

Thank you for posting the pics. The black dial 300MC looks a flat matt black were as the blue dial looks textured and darker than I thought it would. The watch just looks right now.

16. 140dave Apr 9, 2021

Thanks for the report and pics! I cant wait to do the same.
    One of the new SM300's will be on my wrist just not sure Blue or Black until I see them live.

17. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 9, 2021

They did! And I had both in front of me, but failed to take a pic of both (apologies). We did have a discussion about both watches with them side by side, and both myself and the gentleman showing me the watches didn't find the combination of black ceramic (case/dial/etc), white (lume markers/some of the text) and sedna gold (bezel/some of the text/wells for the lume if I recall) aesthetically fitting ... but thats just personal opinion : everyones taste and style is totally different and totally their own, thank heavens for variety, so I would highly recommend looking at both if that one is already standing out to you and your tastes :thumbsup:

18. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 9, 2021

Thats just the lighting affecting the pics. It is very similar to the blue ... but in black ... same texture. In hand you will see it better.

19. PandaSPUR Apr 9, 2021

Ahh interesting..
    Before this, I was considering the Deep Black PO with Sedna gold. On that one, the shiny gold looked pretty good with the glossy black.
    I was wondering how it'd look with matte black. Guess I'll have to check it out myself in person.

I can see how the gold accents and colored text takes away from the original "stealth" look of the watch though.

20. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 9, 2021

I think your eyes are good, and what you saw, you saw correctly. I can see how that particular one with Sedna and some white accents could also be killer on the right person. I just am not very stylish :)