Forums Latest Members

When a large Seamaster is beautiful - if you like that sort of thing

1. lindo Sep 9, 2021

A long time collector of vintage Omega Constellations and Seamasters, I have nonetheless been unable to resist buying a few ‘tool’ watches.

It is their robustness, their designs that proclaim a basis in engineering rather than elegance, and their rugged fitness for purpose that have drawn me in. It started with a Seamaster 300 diver in 1967: a well-designed, hard-working watch that served me faithfully through thick and thin for over twenty years.

Over subsequent years the ‘big watch’ collection came to include a couple of Speedmaster Professional moon watches, a Speedmaster Mk II, a Flightmaster, and in 2019 a Seamaster 300M diver coaxial master chronometer. They are all different and I enjoy them equally.

A couple of years ago I thought that my vintage watch and big watch collecting had finally reached an end stage. I thought the urge to find interesting or better examples could at last be laid to rest, and I could appreciate the collection simply as it stood. (Even as I write, I can hear the muffled laughter from other members of this Forum - and of course they are right).

Then this Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT Chronometer Chronograph 231.10.44.52.06.001 became available at a great price from my favourite Japanese dealer, and with no hesitation I bought it. (This model must have had a good run in Japan, for good ones can be found there for a lot less money than anywhere else).

IMG_1164.JPG IMG_1161.JPG IMG_1159.JPG IMG_1156.JPG IMG_0817.JPG

I liked the combination of:

·Co-axial 3603 automatic movement (made 2006)

·Chronometer accuracy (more on that in a moment)

·GMT function

·Rotating 24 hour bezel (effectively adding a third time zone capacity)

·Chrono function

·Water resistance to 500’

·Date

·Exhibition case back

All this is fitted into a 44mm diameter case which is 17mm thick. As I do not feel the need to compensate for anything by wearing extra large watches, I would prefer it to be at least a couple of mms smaller in both dimensions. But as they say in the classics, it is what it is - and I love it anyway.

I used to think my Flightmaster was a big slab of metal, but this Seamaster makes it look mid-size. Both of them have a solid engineering integrity and fit-for-purpose appearance that really appeals to me. I would not wear either of them with a suit, but that is not what they were designed for.

As for accuracy, it is outstanding. When I decided to write about the watch a few days ago I set it up for a test run. After four days sitting on my bench it has gained precisely two seconds - not per day, but over four days. ‘Nuff said.

And no, it is not for sale.

2. aleksejeremeev Sep 26, 2021

It's a good watch, but I've always disliked the way the bezel is made on it. It looks rough to me. Although I would like such

3. StudebakerHawk Sep 28, 2021

I must add my 2¢ on this piece.... I absolutely LOVE mine with the crocodile leather.

omega_seamaster_agua_terra_gmt.jpg omega_seamaster_agua_terra_gmt_II.jpg B3EC50E0-E204-41E0-826D-1AE93D71C53F.jpeg 7DA17BEF-EFDB-43CB-943F-CCE5E2FD1464.jpeg 06F27B27-7C31-4C87-94C6-3725E3DB0CBE.jpeg AC33989A-9D91-43C0-93AA-18E3F09FB090.jpeg B477D499-9BAA-463A-9AB8-F3369A0DBE5C.jpeg
    lindo and MtnMarine like this.