Forums Latest Members

What's your opinion on the Seiko Flightmaster?

1. blacktiger May 4, 2020

Hi all,

Hope everyone's well and safe during these strange times, each day is closer to it being over, that's what I keep telling myself ;)

I'm looking at the Seiko range currently, adding something mid-range to my collection. Mainly looking at the SKX007 and the Flightmaster (SNA411). I think I'm edging toward the Flightmaster however, but there's one thing stopping me from pulling the trigger...the fact it's quartz.

Now I know, the quartz movement isn't like your regular run of the mill quartz, it's high end, but am I wrong to not add it to my collection simply because it's powered by battery rather than a beating heart?

If anyone could spread some more light on the Flightmaster and perhaps share their opinions, I'd appreciate it greatly.

Thanks, guys,

Dan

Seiko-SNA411-Flightmaster-closeup-on-brown-leather-strap-1600x1600.jpg
    tikkathree likes this.
  2. mgmarsh39 May 4, 2020

I wear my Seiko pilot chronograph at least 3-4 days a week. It's been running strong now for 16yrs or so. Great tool watch and keeps excellent time! Honestly I get a lot more compliments on it than any of my Omega's or Rolex's from the past.

[​IMG]

3. Walrus May 4, 2020

I think if you really like it go for it. I bought a quartz tag aquracer locally as it was a very good price and I liked the look of it. It was a heat of the moment purchase but I’m glad I have a few watches I don’t need to set the time and date if I don’t wear it for a few days. Not that your flight master would be a bang around watch but I like the tag as a bang around watch. I also have a A couple other quartz watches that have been running fine for over 20 years.

Foo2rama and blacktiger like this.
  4. Jonathan40 May 4, 2020

Seiko watches at what ever price point are superb value.
    Flight master has a nice busy interesting dial that will keep you looking at and playing with the buttons to see everything working.
    As already said, it’s nice having a bit of variety in the box and it’s convenient to have a grab and go watch to do just that.
    If you buy it and don’t bond with it you can always move it on with not a lot of cash being lost if any at all.

Regards
    Jon

Manny1979, Foo2rama and blacktiger like this.
  5. tikkathree May 4, 2020

Ah, that Flightmaster! When you say Seiko Flightmaster I automatically think of the previous generation with the 7T34 movement.
    The second watch I bought was a reverse panda 7T34 Flightmaster and that watch went everywhere back in the days when Seiko UK would service them (now I rely on George George Clarkson in Berlin.)
    I have over 24 different dial colour permutations, all different and here are just three. So I have a whole world of collectables at prices which are mostly still reasonable. 20200504_205549.jpg 20200504_205615.jpg

Foo2rama, dougwhiz and blacktiger like this.
  6. Chaz Goldenrod May 4, 2020

I also prefer mechanical timepieces, but I think a nice quartz model makes a fine addition to any collection. Quartz generally offers great value, accuracy, and convenience...what's not to like? You can't go wrong with Seiko and I think the Flightmaster is a cool pilot watch. Here is my Seiko solar quartz STBR025:
    2020-05-04_13-34-43.jpg

blacktiger likes this.
  7. apsm100 applysome! May 4, 2020

I always get a flashback of TGV whenever someone brings up the flightmaster ("FLIGHTY" in his voice rings in my ears).
    Its a nice watch with an interesting movement, but my association with that watch channel turns me off. :unsure:

Tet and blacktiger like this.
  8. blacktiger May 4, 2020

Love that blue :eek: I've heard that a lot, it seems to get many compliments. Not one of the reasons I'd want one, but it's always nice ;)

9. blacktiger May 4, 2020

For sure, I think for the price they come in at you can't really go too far wrong, will keep you updated!

10. blacktiger May 4, 2020

Looking good with the chronos there :p So the 7T34 is the one prior, is this the more popular model? I know prices will hike up with that ref, but in terms of the two models, does the quartz live up to it?

11. blacktiger May 4, 2020

OK shameless admission here, I've been fascinated by how passionate TGV is with the "FLIGHTYS" ;) Im guessing you're not a channel follower then?? ;)

apsm100 likes this.
  12. blacktiger May 4, 2020

I'm beginning to feel the same, especially with Seiko quartz, I see no harm in adding it to my collection, as you mentioned having a quartz piece in the box is a nice addition :) That's a utalitarian looking watch if I've ever seen one! :p

13. apsm100 applysome! May 4, 2020

I used to like him when I got into the hobby years ago. But when he started peddling Squale and generally low rent pieces I was pretty disenchanted (he is sometimes overly romantic). Hes a great guy and was an amazing help to get started but I have moved on.

blacktiger likes this.
  14. blacktiger May 4, 2020

Agreed. Although it's nice to see his passion on both sides, expensive and more mid-range, for someone like me who's still building a moderate collection, it's an entertaining watch. Gotta admit, I've never taken to the beloved Sqaule, but something must do it for him.

apsm100 likes this.
  15. dougwhiz May 4, 2020

Yes, TGV does love the "FLIGHTYS". When he doesn't like a particular piece, he finds it "GHASTLY". ::puke::

Tet, blacktiger and apsm100 like this.
  16. blacktiger May 5, 2020

I can hear him saying it :D

17. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it May 5, 2020

Haha, glad I'm not alone, he also single handedly killed any interest I had in Squale(which is a shame as I always liked the Tiger before seeing his channel).

apsm100 likes this.
  18. tjs May 9, 2020

While it looks good in pictures, the functionality is not usable in real life. The dial is just to small and I have good vision.

19. TexOmega May 9, 2020

Classic Seiko, so ya gotta have it.

B6FA97F8-87E4-4DDA-881B-9869F9FD10C5.jpeg