Forums Latest Members

Seiko Flightmaster; strap suggestions?

1. southard Aug 18, 2018

My mother bought this Seiko for me when I started flying in the early 1990's. It was my daily watch until about 1998 when the battery died right after I had the minute hand for the alarm reattached. I had series of Seikos that lasted about all died in the next couple years before I bought a Seamaster.

Mom died last year, and I was thinking it would be nice to bring some life back into this watch. But, the band is sized for a younger me, and I don't have extra links. Is the watch worth trying to keep it original? I'm thinking a leather strap would suffice. Any suggestions?

Is the watch even worth a new band and battery? Should I put it away for another 20 years and save up for a Speedmaster or Navitimer?

20180818_213344.jpg
    Edited Aug 18, 2018
  2. pascs Aug 18, 2018

I think it would look good on a dark leather strap or maybe any of the Haveston straps. But also many of the other Seiko bracelets should fit with the same lug width and case shape. Also there are a number of good Seiko forums who might be able to help you out for extra links.

I would however remove the battery asap, no matter what you decide to do with the watch, if it leaks it could be much more expensive to bring back to life.

3. guaranteed.rohu Aug 18, 2018

Nato?

southard likes this.
  4. southard Aug 18, 2018

Thanks. I’ll check put Haveston.

I hadn’t considered the battery leaking. It has had since 1997 to make a mess.

5. southard Aug 19, 2018

Seems a new battery isn’t enough to bring this one back to life. Back to the jewelry box with it, and I’ll start lookinf for A Speedy or Navitimer.