Forums Latest Members

Thoughts on the Seiko SCED035 "Aliens Watch"

1. Tophership May 9, 2018

Aliens is one of my favorite movies and I've wanted to pick up one of the re-released versions for a while now but it seems just as I started getting into watches I missed the bandwagon on this one. For those of you who own one, what do you like about it and what do you hate about it? I'm trying to talk myself into picking one up but I don't know if I could justify more than $300 on it to myself.

SEIKO_GIUGIARO_SCED035_DIAL_10.jpg
    Castle4444, neilfrancis and MaiLollo like this.
  2. MaiLollo May 9, 2018

I've been tempted by one as well for some time, but I ultimately think that while I do love the design (as well as the designer) of this watch I'm not sure I would enjoy wearing it...
    For the price, you can't really go very wrong.

wristpirate, pascs and Tophership like this.
  3. AveConscientia May 9, 2018

Or buy a original 7a28 my second favorite quartz watch next to the Seiko 9fs. This rerelease is beautiful, but prices are climbing!

Tophership likes this.
  4. ulackfocus May 9, 2018

What's with the shelf on the side?

shishy likes this.
  5. AveConscientia May 9, 2018

the chronograph functions. Designed by Italian designer Giuguaro for racing. The large BUTTons allow ease of use, and 80s vibes.

Tophership and tikkathree like this.
  6. Gurn May 9, 2018

Its different for sure but doesn't do anything for me. ::yawn::

7. Fialetti May 10, 2018

As Aveconscientia already said, the Giugiaro designed 7028 line on which the reissues are based would be interesting watches even without the Aliens connection. This watch looks great with a Colonial Marine Corps flame thrower, but I have never felt it would be something I would actually want to wear. Maybe take a closer look at some of the related references and other reissues (most of which can be had for less or in better condition than this one) before you take the plunge?

Tophership likes this.
  8. SeanO May 10, 2018

9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 10, 2018

To hold your beer.

Tophership likes this.
  10. Tophership May 10, 2018

Thanks for all the input guys. I feel like this is going to be one of those you keep in the back of your mind and when you see a really good and convenient deal, snatch it up.

11. Flotho May 11, 2018

First time I saw this watch, I was shocked by the assymetry and didn't really like the design. But for sure it made a big impression on me.
    Then, getting to know the story about the watch, the designer, the alien connection, my interest grew.
    And now I am totally addicted. The colours are just super cool, it's smaller than it looks and surprisingly comfortable to wear (considering the design). and you are sure nobody will be wearing the same watch as you. Too many boring watches.

So I went for few variations along the years (2 original on the left, 2 re-editions on the right):
    IMG_9504.JPG

Now, the original has a better movement, is thinner and wears better than the reedition thanks to a more comfortable bracelet (new one pulls your hairs).
    IMG_9505.JPG
    Finding an original 7A28, in good condition is pretty hard though, so the re-edition is still an easier and good alternative :) I guess the SCED035 sells around 700-900$ nowadays.

So it's totally a biased advice, but I would say go for it! :)

12. Tophership May 11, 2018

My wallet is going to hate you, but you and I can be friends haha. I’ll have to keep an eye out for an original then, I’ll just add it to my growing list!

Flotho likes this.
  13. yyir May 25, 2018

Cool looking watch, one for the collection at some point