What is the heaviest Omega on the wrist?

Pretty sure the 43.5 PO GMT is close to the chrono weight wise. I wound up putting mine on a rubber strap. The bracelet alone accounts for around 100g!

Third option for the vintage steel, again less than the vintage Ploprof: Flightmaster

IMG_4230.jpeg

I think an 18K Flightmaster on a bracelet is around 225-230g.

Yea this was 228g, the ref 222.60.46.50.01.001 is IMO the heaviest I can think of, it’s the Cal 3313 Planet Ocean Chronograph in 18K Gold at 366g which is pretty nuts.

The only Omega that MIGHT beat that Planet Ocean is the Ref 224.62.55.21.04.001 But it’s an ultra-rare bird being a 1/1 piece unique. You can find it mentioned on the stories section under PloProf 1200 here: https://stories.omegaforums.net/the-omega-seamaster-ploprof-1200-cal-8500-steel-sharkproof-mesh/

Thanks for the info of these gold chunks: too bad no pics of these here on a scale or on a wrist. Would love to see them in real life.... like this Ploprof Agnelli - style:

IMG_0718.jpeg

I was wondering wether the gold variants are made of solid gold or if they are hollowed out? The reason is:

In the periodic table ferrum has the density of 7,87 where as aurum has 19,32. That makes a factor 2,45 difference. Lets say the contemporary Speed Pro steel is 138g compared to the Speed Pro yellow gold which is 224g. If you account some 30g weight of the movement and crystal (estimated, I have no idea if that is close to reality). That would mean the steel case with bracelet is 108g, the gold variant around 194g. That would make a difference of factor 1,80 instead of 2,45. A loss of gold of approx. 25%.

Ok, my math is poor and I could be wrong about the weight of the movement and related parts, but I think you can see the point. Maybe someone knows more about how these gold variants are fabricated. And the weigth of a 3681 movement....

Modern precious metal Omegas are solid gold or platinum, not hollow. But remember: 18 karat, not pure gold; likewise 950 platinum. So for gold you need to calculate 75% there, and then try to sort what the other 25 is. White gold, in my experience, actually tends to weigh more than pure 24k gold would, presumably because some of what makes the gold the color it is comes from platinum-group alloys that are denser than gold itself.

I also suspect the movement and sapphire weigh a bit more than you think, but I’m not sure.

I was wondering wether the gold variants are made of solid gold or if they are hollowed out? The reason is:

In the periodic table ferrum has the density of 7,87 where as aurum has 19,32. That makes a factor 2,45 difference. Lets say the contemporary Speed Pro steel is 138g compared to the Speed Pro yellow gold which is 224g. If you account some 30g weight of the movement and crystal (estimated, I have no idea if that is close to reality). That would mean the steel case with bracelet is 108g, the gold variant around 194g. That would make a difference of factor 1,80 instead of 2,45. A loss of gold of approx. 25%.

Ok, my math is poor and I could be wrong about the weight of the movement and related parts, but I think you can see the point. Maybe someone knows more about how these gold variants are fabricated. And the weigth of a 3681 movement....

The SS planet oceans have solid bracelets. AFAIK the solid gold ones do not have that hence the weight being similar.

My white gold 43mm Aqua Terra weighs around 280g fully linked. You definitely know it’s there when you’re wearing it. The platinum 300m heritage diver is around 320g, I think, and there might be a solid gold chronoscope that’s about that heavy too.

Someday I want to try on the full platinum Royal Oak Offshore that weighs over a pound. Ludicrous.

I’m curious what your thoughts are about this -
Modern precious metal Omegas are solid gold or platinum, not hollow. But remember: 18 karat, not pure gold; likewise 950 platinum. So for gold you need to calculate 75% there, and then try to sort what the other 25 is. White gold, in my experience, actually tends to weigh more than pure 24k gold would, presumably because some of what makes the gold the color it is comes from platinum-group alloys that are denser than gold itself.

I also suspect the movement and sapphire weigh a bit more than you think, but I’m not sure.

I’m curious,
Just out of curiosity, have any of you ever seen this watch in the metal? I have a crazy deal in mind, and I’m looking for some good old fashioned enablers.
You’re the only other materials fanboy I can think of, lol😀

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/...ter-co-axial-chronometer-41-mm-23390412103002

I’ve never seen it in the metal, though I’ve seen the titanium one, which is visually identical to it, pretty much. It’s a great looking watch, and I have to assume it’s a real mind bender to pick it up and feel more than 300 grams packed into such a small object.

It’s probably the only Omega I’d consider trading my AT for, but even though its production numbers are nearly 3x higher than the AT (161 vs 61) it seems to be just as rare: only ever seen one come up for sale preowned. (In Japan, and I think it did sell after many months.) Not an easy one to come by unless you buy new from Omega—it says no longer available but it does become available every once in a while as they presumably continue to trickle out the limited edition one piece at a time over several years.

That said, as I’ve mentioned before, I’d be wary of buying it new for more than 60,000 USD, especially if you think you might ever want to sell it. The preowned one in Japan was listed in the 40s, I want to say, and it sat for a very very long time, even though it was probably the only one available in the entire world. I did ask the seller if they’d drop down into the low 30s, which is what I’d say it’s really worth, and they declined to do so.

If you end up with one of these, assume two things: it will make you very happy AND you will be stuck with it forever unless you’re prepared to take an unconscionable loss.

I’ve never seen it in the metal, though I’ve seen the titanium one, which is visually identical to it, pretty much. It’s a great looking watch, and I have to assume it’s a real mind bender to pick it up and feel more than 300 grams packed into such a small object.

It’s probably the only Omega I’d consider trading my AT for, but even though its production numbers are nearly 3x higher than the AT (161 vs 61) it seems to be just as rare: only ever seen one come up for sale preowned. (In Japan, and I think it did sell after many months.) Not an easy one to come by unless you buy new from Omega—it says no longer available but it does become available every once in a while as they presumably continue to trickle out the limited edition one piece at a time over several years.

That said, as I’ve mentioned before, I’d be wary of buying it new for more than 60,000 USD, especially if you think you might ever want to sell it. The preowned one in Japan was listed in the 40s, I want to say, and it sat for a very very long time, even though it was probably the only one available in the entire world. I did ask the seller if they’d drop down into the low 30s, which is what I’d say it’s really worth, and they declined to do so.

If you end up with one of these, assume two things: it will make you very happy AND you will be stuck with it forever unless you’re prepared to take an unconscionable loss.

This is quite possibly the greatest, most well rounded response I’ve ever received on such an obscure subject, . I read it to my friend a few times, and he was like “Jeez, that man knows what he’s talking about.”
Ever since I’ve come across your AT, I’ve been trying to scratch the density itch, and this might be it (although I’m still patiently waiting for you to part with your watch, haha).
Besides for that, I’d love to set up a phone call, and talk watches with you if possible. I feel like we’d have a lot to discuss. let me know if you’re interested😀

This is quite possibly the greatest, most well rounded response I’ve ever received on such an obscure subject, . I read it to my friend a few times, and he was like “Jeez, that man knows what he’s talking about.”
Ever since I’ve come across your AT, I’ve been trying to scratch the density itch, and this might be it (although I’m still patiently waiting for you to part with your watch, haha).
Besides for that, I’d love to set up a phone call, and talk watches with you if possible. I feel like we’d have a lot to discuss. let me know if you’re interested😀
Also, I believe there are 357 of them. So quite a bit more than yours, but probably just as rare given its full platinum bracelet pedigree. Although I’ve seen quite a few without the platinum bracelet, including many with the stone dials for sale over the years, and even many full platinum speedys (though the speedys are substantially more expensive).
So, now the real question is, should I buy it?

You’re absolutely right—357. (I was confusing the LE production number with the other white gold AT that comes on a strap.)

Appreciate your kind words. This is my favorite little corner of Modern Omegaland. And much as I’d enjoy chatting on the phone, I have a pretty rigid self-imposed “policy” about not letting my few online activities (as boring and harmless as they are) spill over into other areas. It’s probably a silly and pointless safety measure but it keeps me sane. 😀

If you end up buying that thing, you should also buy the titanium one, just to mess with people when you show them off.

You’re absolutely right—357. (I was confusing the LE production number with the other white gold AT that comes on a strap.)

Appreciate your kind words. This is my favorite little corner of Modern Omegaland. And much as I’d enjoy chatting on the phone, I have a pretty rigid self-imposed “policy” about not letting my few online activities (as boring and harmless as they are) spill over into other areas. It’s probably a silly and pointless safety measure but it keeps me sane. 😀
Not pointless at all😀 I appreciate the candid response. Offer still stands if you ever change your mind of course.
And thanks for all the help. I’ll keep you posted on the progress of this purchase.
Edited:

If you end up buying that thing, you should also buy the titanium one, just to mess with people when you show them off.
lol, I’ll probably have to beg for that one, as I’ll be living under a bridge.

The SS planet oceans have solid bracelets. AFAIK the solid gold ones do not have that hence the weight being similar.

Ok, so the gold-bracelets are not solid if I understand right. This also means that they probably tend to develope more stretch than steel ones: beeing non solid plus being of softer material...

100g of this is the bracelet

Ok, here we are back to the true steel. Pictured so far:

Coaxial Seamaster Chrono 232g
Coaxial Seamaster 210g
Speedmaster 125 205g
Seamaster 600 Ploprof 180g
Flightmaster 153g

No others ready for the scale?