Forums Latest Members

What is driving up prices for some models?

1. imfagent449 Jun 19, 2020

I started collecting Longines watches I think in the late 1990s.

I wanted to buy a Zenith EP which you could purchase for 800 USD second hand at the time but I didn't have the money. However, I could buy a Longines. I always wanted a 30CH as well but couldn't afford it at the time- I am still hoping to purchase one. My first was a 30LS with the silvered starburst dial. I believe it cost be just over 100AUD at the time.

I have always purchased a few items every now and then - I wish I had been more careful in selecting pieces of good condition. In any case, I had always purchased them more being fascinated with their beauty than any investment potential. Some I love more than others. I can't deny the obvious integrity in their design, style and manufacture.

I notice that prices for some non-chronograph pieces seem to have risen quite quickly. I haven't been following any forums for years now so I haven't kept myself informed.

What is driving up prices for these specific models - does it have to do with dial design?

2. oinkitt Jun 19, 2020

Simple.... supply and demand.

kov, Syrte, Mark020 and 1 other person like this.
  3. asrnj77 Jun 19, 2020

Yes but he may be asking why the demand for certain models? I think some of it has to do with media hype. If Hodinkee writes about an obscure skin diver from the 60’s or a relatively unknown chrono from the 1940’s, the demand and subsequent price increase will double over night. Once the value goes up the demand will continue to follow. People want to get onboard a model whose value is on an upward trajectory.

Benbradstock likes this.
  4. WatchCor Jun 19, 2020

Yep, I think one the clearest example would be how the gold/green dial daytona skyrocketed after the second Mayer/Talking watches episode. Though there are models that are not hyped by sites and still their price steadily increases.

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 19, 2020

Hundreds of new watch collectors, enthusiasts, pseudo dealers, Instagram sites, websites and forums.
    Not to forget the increase of media attention towards investments.

Benbradstock and Andsan like this.
  6. Andy_timeman Jun 19, 2020

If only 1% of new watch buyers take an interest in vintage watches then most if not all the vintage watches are gone (bear in mind that many vintage watches are damaged or have issues and less collectable).....Rolex will sell because of credit, funny money and out instant culture 100times greater volume today than in the 1960's. It doesn't help when movie stars are paid 20m for a movie. Our and societies values have gone haywire.... For new model funny money and speculation driven by central bank largese and out concept of value... many follow a trend and some make money and often many lose.

Benbradstock likes this.
  7. Dan S Jun 19, 2020

Nobody really knows why prices have risen for a particular reference, supply and demand is the correct answer, but it doesn't really provide much insight. It's particularly difficult to answer a question that hasn't actually been asked. Which specific models are you asking about ... you never actually say.

8. imfagent449 Jun 19, 2020

There was a post here not long ago talking about a three hand Longines model that went for around 12000 USD and a few I have seen sell for around 3000 or so (mostly screen shots of the watch and the winning bid). I noticed some Omegas as well selling for considerable sums. I wish that I had bookmarked the posts.

I don't know the reference but they all seem to be from the 30s and 40s often with sector or sector type dials or military style with ridged bezels.

I recall in the early 2000s, you could buy a 10L or 10LS with military type dial for less than 100 USD in some cases (although many of those may had the chromed cases).

Anyway, is anyone noticing a direction that the market is taking for particular types or styles.

9. SportChief Jun 19, 2020

I think you may be referring to watches that are often called "sei tacche" and "tre tacche" by collectors. These watches have gone up quite seriously in value and popularity in the last 5+ years. There are probably quite a few factors in this, but these tick the boxes of tastes in the current collector's markets: stainless steel, simple uncluttered field watch-looking dials, the connection to Longines WWII watches, "Calatrava" style case (although I hate when people use that buzzword). Modern collectors seem to eat up that "tool watch" aesthetic, and they also seem popular with Italian collectors who often act as tastemakers in the world of vintage watch collecting. Personally, I prefer Longines more dressy styles.

Benbradstock likes this.
  10. imfagent449 Jun 19, 2020

Ahhh.

I guess that it has always been the case that you can never really tell what will drive collectors over time.

11. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 20, 2020

Tre tacche and sei tacche if you ask me have nothing in common with “calatrava” style watches. As discussed in several other threads, most calatravas are flat dressy watches.
    Sei tacches and tre tacches were sturdy steel watches with screw back cases marketed as watches for outdoors activity including water sports.

And what made the tre tacche so popular was a set of Italian collectors who posted them on forums. Ten years ago they generated excitement as they were beautiful yet quite affordable at around 500 euros a piece. Now of course Instagram has helped prices skyrocket.
    Also the 35 mm examples are quite chunky with significant wrist presence, and I would suspect it has helped.

Edited Jun 20, 2020
    Benbradstock and Dan S like this.
  12. SportChief Jun 20, 2020

I completely agree, but the word "calatrava" often gets bandied about by sellers trying to get more money for a watch. The seller who sold the $12,000 tre tacche described it as a "Longines Stepcase Calatrava."

13. JacksonPollock Jun 23, 2020

I think there's a newfound appreciation in "time only" pieces in general.

SportChief likes this.
  14. imfagent449 Jun 24, 2020

This is very interesting.

This may seem a naive question but are people using Instagram to buy and sell or just to showcase?

What hashtag do you search for to find vintage Longines watches?

15. killer67 Jun 24, 2020

all three. What are you looking for?

16. imfagent449 Jun 24, 2020

@killer67 - how do I search for Longines watches for sale on Instagram? Also, how do I sell on there?

17. killer67 Jun 24, 2020

you search and sell using hashtags. Do you have an Instagram account?

18. Fost Jun 24, 2020

The main difference in price is , and this is the only point , the diameter. And this is true not only for longines 3 tacche ... as soon as you go into large 3 hands watches from the 40’s , the price increase drastically.

19. Dan S Jun 24, 2020

If people like your watches, they will send you messages asking to buy. Whether or not you can actually complete the deal is another story altogether. IG is full of tire-kickers.

20. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 24, 2020

And condition- and originality.