Forums Latest Members
  1. irondan Nov 19, 2013

Hi guys

Its nice to meet you all.
    I have been trying to choose a watch for about three years, but so far I have been unsuccessful. I want something that I can wear everyday, I have looked at an IWC pilots watch and panerai's. I would like a Patek, but this isnt a daily wear watch.

The ideal watch would be a Rolex sub, which I like very much, but feel is a bit flash and everyone wears them.

I really like the seamaster professional divers watch, i would even say that i like it more than the above, but i am having price perception problems as it is at least £2000 cheaper than them.

I arent being a snob or anything, but if a rolex is a bmw is an omega a high end ford?

I really like this watch, so any opinions are greatfully received.

Thanks

Dan

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 19, 2013

Rolex has simply spent more $$$ to create their image, IMHO they are no better than an Omega. You are paying a VERY high price for the crown.

They just aren't special and surely don't warrant the extra $$$.

Lundy likes this.
  3. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 19, 2013

Don't worry about the status comparisons, they probably won't be helpful. The car comparisons are absolutely not helpful.

It sounds like you have narrowed things down to a sporty tool watch that isn't too flashy or ostentatious. Omega fits that bill very well. As an alternative you might also consider the Jaeger LeCoultre Deep Sea watches. They're very all purpose, have true heritage and will fly under the radar in a way that comparable Rolex and Omega watches don't.

The Rolex is not worth £2000 more. If you have to spend that sort of money then I'd go for JLC or a higher bracket Omega.

God luck with the search.

NT931 likes this.
  4. irondan Nov 19, 2013

Wow, thank you for the quick response. I have just been looking at the Seamaster on Omega's website and it really is a gorgeous piece of kit.

You must know what you are talking about, you have good car taste.

5. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Nov 19, 2013

An all Stainless Rolex Submariner or an Omega SMP 2254 or 2054 - Simple I'll take the Omega with at least as good a movement and unless it's a 2006 (much more expensive) or newer Sub a much better bracelet. Please consider this is the voice of experience ;-)

6. irondan Nov 19, 2013

Thanks Spiki.
    The JLC's are nice but look a bit flashier. They remind of Hublot, or AP.

I think i need to go have a look at them in the flesh.

Out of interest, if money was no object what would you guys buy?

7. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Nov 19, 2013

What I wore for 2 decades "On the Way to Going Broke" a Patek Nautilus ;-)

NT931 likes this.
  8. irondan Nov 19, 2013

Wow, do you still have it?

9. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 19, 2013

Hey Miki you beat me to it !

If money were no object,then I'd have one of these

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384896735.466930.jpg

10. irondan Nov 19, 2013

Very nice

11. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 19, 2013

...especially with the number of wankers driving around in de-badged 528s.

Hijak likes this.
  12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 19, 2013

lol in the building I work in there's a new model 320i sport with M badges all over it and M PWR as the number plate and a 328i badge... but you can't get around the fact that the 320i is the only model with a single exhaust pipe...

Billyp7718 likes this.
  13. ulackfocus Nov 19, 2013

The IWC Spitfires have a little more pizazz than their regular pilot's watches IMO. Wish I never sold my Mark XV.

Now about the whole 3 years of indecision…..

14. Hijak Nov 19, 2013

Sounds like a little enabling is in order!;)

15. ulackfocus Nov 19, 2013

Yes. I once took 15 minutes trying to decide to buy a watch or not. Worst quarter hour of my life!

16. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Nov 19, 2013

Hi Dan. Welcome. I am sure you can find a watch that you like with help from the guys.

But I have to disagree that JLC is flashy like AP or Hublot. But of course it's all personal preference.
    [​IMG]
    I am sure you will be very happy with what you will finally decide on.

17. Superdoc Nov 19, 2013

I have always considered Rolex the MB (older styling, older man's choice), and Omega the Audi - More value for dollar, better tech, more stylish...

I had the MB CLS550, now have the Audi A7 Sport line -

Current collection is 7 Rolex, 12 Omega...

Status between the two only matters to people who know nothing about watches... everyone knows Rolex...not everyone yet knows Omega...

However Value for dollar - Get the Omega PO - a nicer looking watch, better movement (with display Back) and the AR crystal will make it sing so much more on your wrist...

It's been said that 'Friends only let friends buy Rolex for re-sale'... and there may be some truth to that right now...

But give it a few more Years... With the Boutique Model expanding and proving to be a success, plus the Omega investment in brand recognition and product placement, the next generation for watch buyers will have a different opinion than the outgoing generation...

I think that 5 yrs from now, you'll be bragging about what a bargain your PO was!

Privateday7 likes this.
  18. Buck2466 Nov 19, 2013

Saw this some where before. Omega-- Elegance without the Arrogance.

19. ulackfocus Nov 19, 2013

I think the same of any decent mechanical watch. Even technobuffs are digging mechanicals now.

Just be easy on the Rolex stuff. Not that anything inflammatory was said in our biased opinion, but a Rolex fan boy might see it differently and join just to be a troll. Personally, I wouldn't mind having an Oyster cased stainless vintage piece like a no date Sub or Pepsi GMT, or a two tone Root Beer.