Forums Latest Members

Water resistance with unscrewed crown?

1. Cosmin Robert Dec 26, 2021

Hello! I also have a doubt, if for example you forgot to screw the crown and go into the sea or take a shower with unscrewed crown, can something happen? Or does it have extra protection? I am referring to the Omega Seamaster 300m.

2. TexOmega Dec 26, 2021

I would bet that Omega would recommend you keep it screwed in. Me too.

3. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 26, 2021

"Even if the valve is unscrewed, and we strongly recommend that the valve remains screwed down whenever the watch is immersed in water, the watch is still water-resistant to a relative pressure of 5 Bar (50 metres)."

4. LuckyLes Dec 26, 2021

I can tell you from experience that if the crown on an Aqua Terra is unscrewed that it will let water in.

5. YY77 Dec 26, 2021

Did yours pass a WR test in the past year as this is what @Archer has posted regarding an unscrewed crown;

Screenshot_20211226-231528.png

6. LuckyLes Dec 26, 2021

This was just after I purchased it new in about 2008 or 9. I was stopped in a large country town in New South Wales (Dubbo) it as about 40deg Celcius and I jumped into a pool to cool off, glanced at my new watch and the crown was unscrewed and there was water on the inside of the crystal. I managed to find a watchmaker in the town and he dried it out for me. No problems after that, it has since had 2 services and there have been no problems with discoloration or corrosion and been no mention about water damage inside.

PATRICK JP likes this.
  7. Cosmin Robert Dec 26, 2021

I understand now, it is recommended to be screwed anyway. I would have found it interesting at least if the 50m lasts if you forget the loose crown.

8. LuckyLes Dec 26, 2021

The crown on mine was unscrewing as I wore the watch, itmust have been rubbing on my wrist. I became very aware of it after this episode. After a while it stopped doing it.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 26, 2021

Hey, I’ve been to Dubbo! On my way up to The Ridge!

10. Canuck Dec 26, 2021

Every water resistant watch is water resistant…………until it leaks! I wonder if a water resistance test on a water resistant watch includes testing it with the crown unscrewed. Most certainly NOT in my shop!

Duracuir1 likes this.
  11. Burr Dec 26, 2021

A friend of mine went surfing with his Rolex explorer II ref 16570 and forgot to screw down the crown. Water got in it and he had to find a watchmaker to service/save it.

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 26, 2021

Probably the sudden temperature drop from 40ºC to pool temperature cooled the hot air in watch thus reducing pressure and causing the innards to suck in water.

Or maybe you were swimming and as your left arm entered the water forcefully the hydrodymaniac shock wave overcame the resistance of the seal and actually forced water into the case.

(The second scenario is meant as a joke, but there are believers ;))

Eve likes this.
  13. LuckyLes Dec 27, 2021

There are a lot of better places to visit in Australia.
    I'd think the hydromaniac shock was probably the cause.
    Anyway it survived, I'm actually wearing it today.

14. Cosmin Robert Dec 27, 2021

I understand now, it is avoidable to forget the unscrewed crown :)

15. Premaster Dec 27, 2021

Globemaster as well :)

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 27, 2021

Only a stopover on the way to an even more remote place...

But Dubbo apparently has the best pies in Australia (along with the hundreds of others who make that same claim)...

[​IMG]

It was pretty tasty...

[​IMG]

"hydromaniac shock" there's a lot of that going around on watch forums mate. ;)

Doc Savage, pete26 and Omegafanman like this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 27, 2021

So, this question comes up frequently, so here's some photos for the you. Starting with a freshly serviced watch:

[​IMG]

Standard pressure test using vacuum and pressure. -0.7 bar vacuum, and +10 bar pressure:

[​IMG]

With the crown screwed down, of course it passes easily:

[​IMG]

Let's unscrew the crown now:

[​IMG]

Test it again, and it passes:

[​IMG]

Here you can see that the crown is unscrewed:

[​IMG]

Now let's pull the crown all the way out to the time setting position, so pulled out as far as it can be pulled out:

[​IMG]

Test it again, and it passes:

[​IMG]

The gasket that is inside the crown doesn't leave contact with the case tube, no matter what position the crown is in. No one is suggesting that you should intentionally leave the crown unscrewed on the watch, but if you do and the seals are in good condition, then most likely you will be fine.

There are some people on watch forums (this one included) for whom water resistance is a topic that can't be thought about in any rational fashion. They will tell you that getting your watch wet will result in doom and chaos, but these watches are designed to resist water, and if they are in good condition (this is the key) then they will be fine.

Cheers, Al

Buster, M'Bob, McKnife and 17 others like this.
  18. rahul718 Dec 27, 2021

I’ve always been curious about water resistance as it pertains to Omega screw down crowns. Based on what you’re saying, the act of screwing down the crown itself does not contribute to water resistance - correct? If that’s the case then I wonder why Omega doesn’t openly state that, similar to how they state the He valve is WR to 50m if left unscrewed.

Would either the 300m or Planet Ocean (non chrono) be water resistance to their full depth rating if the crowns are left open?

19. Canuck Dec 27, 2021

Try it, and get back to us! ::shy::

20. Duckie Dec 27, 2021

I've got to put a word in for Jake's pies in Hume st, Toowoomba:thumbsup:
    And before anybody says anything, I must state that I have absolutely no affiliation with them.
    Mrs G's in Toowoomba are nice as well for a more gourmet experience.