Warranty Repair Time and Process—reporting back

So, it seems a lot of people are always looking for information on this, so I figured I would share my experience. Major lurker, not major poster here, but I figure this could help get some answers for people.

I noticed my Seamaster Aqua Terra Ryder Cup had been changing the hour at 23:00 and the hands seemed slightly misaligned. It was keeping immaculate time. +- 2 seconds a week. Was almost hesitant to send back due to how good accurate it was. Anyway, I emailed Omega Customer Service and was informed of the process. Seemed pretty easy.

On 4/21/2023 I was sent a return label and an instruction sheet for my watch. I put instructions on it and mentioned it was OK to polish the watch and bracelet (figuring it was pretty new it wouldn’t detract from it really). I also included a copy of my warranty card. Hesitantly I dropped it with UPS on 4/21/23 to go off to New Jersey. They said they received on 4/26 (see pic below). I was notified via email of receipt (sigh of relief) on the 26th and they began the process. You can see the progression of events in the repair link I was sent (with a Repair Number and a Password). Estimated to be completed on 7/7/23. On 6/28 was notified it was finished, No money due and a tracking number was provided. On 6/30 I received it back signature required from UPS 2 Day delivery. They sent it back with some parts, including some gaskets, some tiny screws, and the crown and barrel. Also a nice little red Omega travel case— which was a pleasant surprise to me. Even though it took about 2 months, I am very happy with the service received. The watch looks great, date change is perfect and it’s still keeping great time. Mission accomplished. Hope this helps shed some light for people in the future. Z

Thanks for posting. Out of curiosity, approximately how old is this watch?

Thanks for posting. Out of curiosity, approximately how old is this watch?

Card is dated 10/21

Good to know about this good service. For a modern watch. And fine that the replaced parts are given back, this in not the case with other brands.

But somewhat disappoining that a two year old and not really cheap watch already develops technical faults after such short time.

In case of a vintage watch "The refinishing will be completed to the best possible condition" might result in a desaster (in the eyes of a vintage collector), if that approach is indeed also taken then.

Best regards, Bernhard

Card is dated 10/21

Alignment issues could be due to QC or perhaps a shock, but it's interesting that the report mentioned a low amplitude for such a new watch.

I'm also happy with the warranty service time for my watch, a 3861 from 08/19. Sent in end of April '23 because of the known issues for this movement, received it back 3 weeks later, no polishing performed.

I'm also happy with the warranty service time for my watch, a 3861 from 08/19.
I sent my 3861 in for warranty in June because the bezel fell off. No impact or drop of any kind. Watch still looks new. When I got the warranty slip I noticed they will be replacing the case. The estimated return date is August 4th- fingers crossed.

Alignment issues could be due to QC or perhaps a shock, but it's interesting that the report mentioned a low amplitude for such a new watch.

I wondered about that as well Wouldn’t a watch with low amplitude tend to run fast or slow? I’m telling you this movement was incredible. +-2 seconds per week. Albeit the simple test (I.e not on a timegrapher), I tested it multiple times over the past year. Here’s the original test results from Omega. It is interesting to note that on one test it was .3 seconds per day but on the other 10.4– all within spec though. I do wonder what happened, I don’t recall ever dropping it or anything at all of the sort.

Good to know about this good service. For a modern watch. And fine that the replaced parts are given back, this in not the case with other brands.

But somewhat disappoining that a two year old and not really cheap watch already develops technical faults after such short time.

In case of a vintage watch "The refinishing will be completed to the best possible condition" might result in a desaster (in the eyes of a vintage collector), if that approach is indeed also taken then.

Best regards, Bernhard

And I most assuredly agree on this Bernhard. Had this watch been a vintage watch, or even my older Aqua Terra (about 20 years old) I would have specified to NOT polish the watch at all.

It is interesting to note that on one test it was .3 seconds per day but on the other 10.4– all within spec though

Just FYI...The 10.4 number is the Delta, which is the difference between the fastest and slowest position. That is measured across 6 positions.

Just FYI...The 10.4 number is the Delta, which is the difference between the fastest and slowest position. That is measured across 6 positions.

Thank you for the clarification Al. You were a GREAT help to me in deciding to send this one in. You are genuinely a legend and an amazing asset to us all.

Quick question on this. I did read it on Omega’s site but Delta to me always indicates is a “rate of change based on some other factor”. Seems 10.4 would be quite a large “delta” if they just subtracted the best and the worst? If we assume BEST case scenario at .1 seconds, then the alternative measure would be 10.5. Within spec but a fairly large number still. When we are talking a .3 sec per day calculation, 10.4 is quite a large variance, at least in my mind. Around 35 times as much I believe (10.7 - .3) / .3 to arrive at 35.66 …. What am I missing?

Thank you for the clarification Al. You were a GREAT help to me in deciding to send this one in. You are genuinely a legend and an amazing asset to us all.

Quick question on this. I did read it on Omega’s site but Delta to me always indicates is a “rate of change based on some other factor”. Seems 10.4 would be quite a large “delta” if they just subtracted the best and the worst? If we assume BEST case scenario at .1 seconds, then the alternative measure would be 10.5. Within spec but a fairly large number still. When we are talking a .3 sec per day calculation, 10.4 is quite a large variance, at least in my mind. Around 35 times as much I believe (10.7 - .3) / .3 to arrive at 35.66 …. What am I missing?

It’s the change in rate in the 6 different positions. The maximum is 12 seconds, so it is within tolerance.

The 0.3 seconds is the average of the 6 positional readings, so a very different measure. If we keep it simple, the slowest position could be -5 and the fastest +5, and the other 4 positions were all 0, then the average rate would be zero, with a 10 second Delta.

It’s the change in rate in the 6 different positions. The maximum is 12 seconds, so it is within tolerance.

The 0.3 seconds is the average of the 6 positional readings, so a very different measure. If we keep it simple, the slowest position could be -5 and the fastest +5, and the other 4 positions were all 0, then the average rate would be zero, with a 10 second Delta.

Of course, with slow being - and fast being + this changes the whole thing. As always, THE BEST! Cheers Z

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have yet to send one to omega but in years past had some unfortunate experiences with the Richmont group.