Forums Latest Members

Speedy Polish during Warranty Repair something to worry about?

1. owl. Apr 5, 2021

This is regarding a 1861 Speedmaster, bought new in 2019.

Alright so my watch was gaining about a minute a day.

I created a thread and you guys suggested I get it demagnetized.

I took it to a local watchmaker who agreed that it was magnetized, demagnetized it, then told me it was still going to be gaining some time per day, according to his timegrapher.

After wearing it for a few days, it looks like it gains about 40 seconds a day.

I wasn't sure if this is okay or not, since the 1861isn't COSC certified.

After doing some research, it seems that Omega usually gets the 1861 to run -1 - +10 s/d

So +40 is way out of the range.

Going to send it via AD.

Do I have to ask them to not polish anything? Or do they never polish during warranty repair?

Thanks!

2. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Apr 5, 2021

Just tell them to only adjust the timing. Nothing else.

3. SkunkPrince Apr 5, 2021

You have absolutely nothing to worry about, and if they remove a few dings, you're actually ahead, not behind. They will likely clean your bracelet but case finishing means removing everything from the case and there is no need unless they're going to perform a complete service.

tpatta and owl. like this.
  4. owl. Apr 5, 2021

Thanks for letting me know.

This is my first time sending a watch in and I'm nervous and a little sad to part with the watch for a while.

But man, I'm reading that some people have the 1861 running really well!

Even -4 to +10 would be super cool for me.

5. SkunkPrince Apr 5, 2021

My experience after competent service, an 1861 would generally run +2 per day on the wrist, worn to bed.

Though these movements are "unadjusted" they are in fact adjusted at the factory and might be adjusted a bit more when received for warranty timekeeping. I guess we'll find out!

owl. likes this.
  6. owl. Apr 5, 2021

+2 OMG

I hope!

Thanks for making me feel better about this.

Also, I bought the watch from an AD in 2019. Brand new.

But they gave me a 2 year warranty card instead of a 5 year card.

That's a little worrisome as well.

Though I've heard it doesn't matter what it says on the card.

It still has plenty warranty left. I just don't know why they gave me an older card.

I assume my watch sat in the safe for a while.

What do you think ?

7. SkunkPrince Apr 5, 2021

2 years is correct for an 1861. Five years for a coaxial.

Good luck!

8. owl. Apr 5, 2021

I thought it was 5 years on any watch sold after 2018?

9. scapa Apr 5, 2021

My AD-purchased FOIS came with a 5-year international warranty, as did my Seamaster Pro Diver. FOIS bought in 2020, SMP in 2018.

owl. likes this.
  10. owl. Apr 5, 2021

Okay, thanks for clearing that up.

I guess we'll see what they say.

I have the receipt showing that I bought it in 2019 if anything goes south I guess!

11. SkunkPrince Apr 5, 2021

Sorry for wrong information, I personally have never bought from an authorized dealer.

owl. likes this.
  12. owl. Apr 5, 2021

No no no don't worry about.

I made an appointment to drop it off today :(

I'll report back!

13. kcgunner Apr 5, 2021

I had my Seamster sent in for warranty work last year and never mentioned anything about no polishing it. When I got it back it was obviously that they did not polish it since it has plenty of wear marks on the bracelet. However mine was a clasp issue and it looks like they didn't even touch anything beyond replacing the clasp itself. I don't think they'll polish anything on warranty work.

owl. likes this.
  14. Rado63 Apr 5, 2021

When you file the work request specifically indicate to please not polish any part of the watch to only address the chief concern of the watch running fast.

owl. likes this.
  15. s2000_driver Apr 5, 2021

It is unlikely that they will polish a watch that comes in for just for regulation. That said, if Omega determines that your watch requires a full service for any reason, they will perform it under warranty. Not sure if Omega's full service includes polishing but I don't take any chances. I always have my OB write it down on the order form in the notes section.

If you don't want your watch polished, make sure you have your OB/AD makes note of your instructions. They will give you a copy which you can verify.

Edited Apr 5, 2021
    owl. likes this.
  16. SkunkPrince Apr 5, 2021

Let's not get obsessive about this. The watch is two years old; a standard refinish at this point, if they even bother to do it, won't harm it.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 5, 2021

Yes, if you don't want it polished (it's up to you) then just ask.

owl. likes this.
  18. Dan S Apr 5, 2021

I would be disappointed if they only regulate a 2 year-old watch that is running +40s/day. Something seems wrong.

owl. likes this.
  19. SkunkPrince Apr 5, 2021

They'll demagnetize it first. :D

20. Evitzee Apr 5, 2021

All new Omega watches sold after July 1, 2018 come with a five year international warranty regardless of what the red warranty card says. I bought a CK2998 blue panda in December 2018 from an AD, this watch came out in 2016 and was in dealer stock until I bought it. The card says two years but the warranty is actually for five years. Just have your receipt showing you bought it after July 1, 2018.

owl. likes this.