Forums Latest Members

Warning: Do not store vintage watches with radium lume in an air tight box!

1. afaw34 Aug 5, 2020

So I found out that my friend had a portable radon monitor and he let me borrow it for a few days.

I have a watch from 1955 with a bit of radium lume. It's a dress watch so the lume area is quite small. I previously used a geiger counter to measure the radiation and it clocked in at 1.3 microsieverts per hour from the dial side, and 0.5 from the caseback. This is pretty minimal so I don't worry about wearing the watch. However, I've been storing it in an air tight container to prevent any potential radon gas from filling up my room.

Well, I put the radon monitor inside the box to see if my watch did actually give off any radon gas. I waited a day for the result. When I came back, the device showed a measurement of 1800 bq/m3!!!!! My house has a background radon level of 30 bq/m3 so this is more than 50 times the amount.

And guess what.. I left the monitor inside the box for a few more days and it continued climbing. I eventually pulled the plug at 3000 bq/m3 and put the watch in a well-ventilated shoe closet near the door.

Now that I think about it, this should have been pretty obvious. The watch gives off radon gas, and even if it's gives off a minuscule amount, it will continue building up if it's stored in an air-tight container. At this point, I would be scared of putting a watch with radium lume in a watchbox... Even if it's not completely airtight, the radon gas will accumulate. And if you open the box, you are getting a hit of highly concentrated radon gas. You will probably need to be exposed to it thousands of times for it to pose any risk, but still, your health is not something to take chances with.

Thankfully, I was always semi-aware of this potential issue and only unlocked the box outside my room. But I'll be storing the watch in an open area from now on that's well-ventilated.

The good news is that Radon has a half life of 3 days so it's not like the measurement will climb to an infinite level if left inside the box forever. However, radon decays into radioactive lead and I don't want my storage container to be coated in radioactive lead particles..

Just thought I would share.

Edited Aug 5, 2020
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 5, 2020

This subject has been discussed ad nauseam here on the forum.

Best to have your house decontaminated and get rid of the watch.

3. afaw34 Aug 5, 2020

Haven't found much discussion regarding the potential issue of storing watches in an air tight container. In fact, I've stumbled upon multiple recommendations from here that advised you to store watches in an air tight container if you want to avoid radon gas from filling up the room. This is in fact why I started doing it in the first place.

Omegaboy1990, Joe_A and Motik like this.
  4. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Aug 5, 2020

So, based on your previous threads

https://omegaforums.net/threads/worried-about-radium.115355/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/how...e-dust-escaping-the-case.115405/#post-1530912
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/should-i-remove-the-lume-from-this-watch.115399/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/acceptable-usv-hr-measurement-for-vintage-watches.115391/

You decided to keep the radium intact?

They have been discussed ad nauseam by this same user

Edited Aug 5, 2020
    Foo2rama and connieseamaster like this.
  5. afaw34 Aug 5, 2020

Not sure why you are linking my previous threads as if they undermine what I'm saying. How are they relevant to this discussion?

I'm also talking about something different and referring to a specific situation where you store radium watches in containers. I'm sure a lot of people store their watches (radium or not) in a watch box so this is in fact relevant for most people.

I'm not trying to fear monger here.. I actually measured the levels with a radon monitor and I'm just simply sharing what I found. Sorry if this makes you feel uncomfortable.

Edited Aug 5, 2020
  6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 5, 2020

Vent-il-a-tion. Problem solved.

Sherbie, NT931, bubba48 and 4 others like this.
  7. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Aug 5, 2020

Well, you created 4 threads all revolving around fear of owning a radium watch, why others aren't (but should be) afraid of owning a radium watch, refused to listen to other members and challenged their advice, got temporarily suspended from posting as a result, and now this thread...
    ...yet again about radium.
    I would be more inclined to believe this but your post history says otherwise.
    Uncomfortable? I find it comical ::popcorn::

Foo2rama, blufinz52, Stripey and 3 others like this.
  8. Dan S Aug 5, 2020

I just want to point out that the unit bq/m3 has "m3" (i.e. cubic meters, which is volume) in the denominator. If you don't understand the relevance of this to the topic of this thread, then I suggest you stop posting threads like this.

9. afaw34 Aug 5, 2020

I never got suspended. Why are you making stuff up?

I admit I was being somewhat irrational in the previous threads (which was almost a month ago) but I'm talking about a different type of risk Sorry if you lack the critical thinking skills to differentiate the two. Oh btw, why do we have millions of comments here talking about this same thing called a watch?

And honestly, what's bad about trying to spread awareness of things like this? If this saves some uninformed individual in the future from inhaling a hit of radon gas every day, then isn't it a good thing? Why are you trying so hard to be dismissive? If you don't want to discuss it, you don't have to comment.

Benbradstock likes this.
  10. afaw34 Aug 5, 2020

Are you saying that since the box I measured it in is less than 1 m3 in volume, the device is overstating the numbers?

When I put the radon meter in an empty air-tight box, the level is not any different than the normal levels of radon in my house even if I leave it inside for a day. So the fact that I got a measurement 50x higher when I had the watch in the box does indicate that there's definitely a build up of significant radon gas in the box. Yes, the box is small so in the end, the total radon gas in the box is not a major amount. But it's still something to keep in mind.

I have no doubt that the measurement would be lower if the box was bigger. But over time, as long as it's air-tight, the gas will still accumulate inside it.

11. Dan S Aug 5, 2020

Radon has a half-life of 4 days.

bigsom and watchyouwant like this.
  12. afaw34 Aug 5, 2020

So with a bigger box, the max level of radon will be lower. My air-tight box was small but I would guess that it's only about half as small as a normal watch box.

Also, keep in mind that radon gas decays into radioactive lead particles, which will gradually build up in your watch box over time. These have a half life of 22 years so it's more or less permanent. I couldn't find much info online on the significance of this as it's usually not a concern in real life, but it's something to keep in mind.

Edited Aug 5, 2020
  13. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Aug 5, 2020

The same defensiveness you are showing right now is exactly what happened in all four of your other threads. Maybe you should re read what I had said- "temporarily suspended from commenting" and view the last comment on your own thread
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/acceptable-usv-hr-measurement-for-vintage-watches.115391/page-2
    It says:
    Not gonna bother addressing the rest of your childish comment as, well, it's just laughable.

14. OmegaP99 Aug 5, 2020

I found your comment about the sealed box interesting and useful, but I don't own any radium watches so don't have the same concerns.
    I mainly want to comment on the above statement however, as I've seen another member say something about "if you're too illiterate to understand" on another thread recently. These passive aggressive taunts aren't useful and are a bit childish, they always turn me off. Please refrain from such rudeness if you want to be taken seriously here, and in life in general.

15. afaw34 Aug 5, 2020

It was for that specific thread only. Far from what a typical "suspension" on a forum looks like.

yes, don't address the rest of my comments because your cognitive dissonance is too strong to overcome so you would rather ignore the risks than be informed of it.

16. OmegaP99 Aug 5, 2020

another-one-300x300.jpg

17. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Aug 5, 2020

The guy likes to be rude. These two screenshots are found on another thread of his. One was deleted for being rude with an age comment so I attached someone else's response. https://omegaforums.net/threads/how...e-dust-escaping-the-case.115405/#post-1530912
    Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 5.42.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 5.43.32 PM.png

Also, I might add- This thread of his talks about keeping a radium watch in a box. Other members including nuclear engineers talked about ventilation and its importance.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/worried-about-radium.115355/

18. M'Bob Aug 6, 2020

This really should be put to bed already. I spoke to an expert in the field. He said, very simply, if there’s a concern when opening a box that was well-sealed and contained a radium watch, and you’re concerned about the radon, open it under an exhaust fan, or open it near a window, and leave the room for a while.

I would be much more concerned about the radon levels in your basement.

Sherbie, blufinz52, bigsom and 5 others like this.
  19. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 6, 2020

::popcorn::

20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 6, 2020

I slept in a lead Paint cot as a kid, drove cars with lead fuel not that unleaded crap those vegan politicians make us use nowadays.
    Bite lead split shot sinkers closed with my teeth.
    And lead used to be uranium.......

What was he saying again, you can’t put a watch in your lunch box. Lucky I wear it on my wrist

OmegaP99, Scarecrow Boat and Lonestar like this.