Wanted opinions on this watch before getting it for a friend

Hello everyone, I am interested in buying this vintage Omega watch from a seller who is asking $2000 for it. This would be my first vintage piece, so I would appreciate your honest feedback and advice. How do you rate the condition and value of this watch? On a scale of 1 to 10, how likely would you be to buy it yourself? Please explain your reasoning and share any references or sources that you have. Thank you for your time and input.

description:
Here we have an exceedingly rare, 18k solid gold Omega from the 50s. It's boasts an automatic Cal 571 movement, an original signed crystal and crown, and a gorgeous vertical texture that segues from the case to the dial. The dial itself is immaculate and has nice subtle black accents on the indices and hands. You can find the case's hallmark on the crown side.

Model number: 14249-61 SC

The case is 28 millimeters in width and 36 millimeters lug to lug.

Additionally, somehow, some way, this watch is running perfectly in time at around +8 seconds/day! Crazy!

I have yet to see a single word about this model online and my research has led me to believe it was part of a small run.

Shipping available. Happy to FaceTime to show the watch.

Not really rare. Just not enough posted onto the internet, but you can search on the inner case number Omega 14249

small case, not all that popular among collectors and overpriced by 4-5 times

maybe $500 on a good day.

I would pass on it

Not really rare. Just not enough posted onto the internet, but you can search on the inner case number Omega 14249

small case, not all that popular among collectors and overpriced by 4-5 times

maybe $500 on a good day.

I would pass on it
+1. For $2,000, you can get your friend a very nice vintage pie pan Constellation in gold cap which I'm sure that he would appreciate a great deal more than this watch.

It might be uncommon, but I also think it's not a highly collected model and it doesn't appeal to me personally. But if you like it, the watch looks quite clean.

Not now or apparently ever a popular model/design, which is why "I have yet to see a single word about this model", their words.

Really not worth a whole lot more than the scrap value of the gold, in spite of the sellers superlatives.

As others have noted it's way overpriced.

As an art piece it's unique and I'm a big fan of unique Omegas but not this one, so no I would not purchase this watch, regardless of price, not my thing, nor most current vintage Omega buyers/collectors.

There are plenty of much more functional and usable Omegas from this period available for the same or less money, again this one is overpriced.

Does your friend like the watch and have smaller wrists? It’s quite small and a unique design so make sure your friend likes it first. Gifting something like this could be a bust.

If the friend is a woman, it might look great and I really like the 1960s mid-century design, but indeed it’s overpriced. Another question is whether the dial is original because the picture is blurry.

If this is for a gift to a woman, I’m not sure it matters that an audience of male collectors find it not so rare or collectible. It’s a great looking watch IMHO, and the fact is automatic and 18k gold is a big plus.

However, there are important questions:
1/ is the size pleasing for the intended recipient? People who are not used to buying watches may be more comfortable trying them on their wrist and it’s risky to buy without trying on. Does the seller accept returns?

2/ if the recipient is a woman, will she find it convenient enough to use?
Will she want to have to pay attention to a more fragile watch which can be easily damaged in rainy weather, if applying hand cream or perfume with the watch on, or when hand washing?

With that type of budget, you might also look for a pre-owned Hermes on Ebay, or steel Cartier tank, or Boucheron Reflet (picture below).

What size is this one? will the seller negotiate the price? Also importantly, you need a picture of the back of the case. The fact there isn’t any means there may be some damage.

Finally you really must ensure it’s returnable.
Edited:

PS also and for that price, you need higher resolution pictures to figure out what’s going on with the left side of the crystal or the bezel, which looks like there’s some damage of sorts.

The style of this watch is getting a lot of interest nowadays with the likes of Boucheron, Piaget, etc. I personally like the design but you should check the wearability on the wrist of your friend and try to source a cheaper one.

So OP, you’ve seen the replies everyone took the time to give you, what’s your reaction?

I always appreciate @Syrte sense of style. I think the design is cool. For that number it had better be good to excellent.