Forums Latest Members

Omega Servicing: Is it worth it for a vintage watch?

1. BarryL Sep 30, 2019

Good evening all.
    This is my first post so forgive me if I break any conventions etc. I’m the proud owner of a new FOIS Speedmaster and a 1943 2292 model Omega with a 30T2 movement, which is mostly original but with one or two Frankenstein features - namely the dial was painted in the style of a Seamaster 30 with different hands and the winding crown was replaced with a branded one. Otherwise it’s in nice condition and I got it at a good price as a consequence. My question relates to this watch, which I’ve sent to Omega and it has since ended up in Switzerland for assessment.
    My question is simply this: will it be worth my while to get it serviced and overhauled by Omega to its original condition?
    Is maintaining the condition via Omega or an approved repair centre always worth the return on investment?
    Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

jaguar11 likes this.
  2. larryganz The cable guy Sep 30, 2019

If the vintage watch has already been messed up by someone else, with replaced parts (hands, crown, re-dial) then I don't see the harm in letting Omega muck it up more.

BarryL, connieseamaster and apsm100 like this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 30, 2019

If it has a refinished dial it's never going to be in original condition again regardless of who does the service.

Any competent watchmaker can service your watch.

BarryL likes this.
  4. Dan S Sep 30, 2019

Since you appear to be asking a question related to the financial aspect, i.e. ROI, the simple answer is "no". In fact, they will often charge more than an independent watchmaker for the same work, and they will also frequently devalue the watch by suggesting the installation of service parts.

connieseamaster likes this.
  5. BarryL Sep 30, 2019

I think they intend that the watch face and blued hands, winding crown etc are replaced with original parts from their parts archive I guess. The case and mechanism are original. The question really is whether or not that the cost (considerable I’m guessing) is worthwhile in the context of what I’ll get back, which is a certified repaired watch with original parts by Omega.
    At this stage I’ve only paid for an assessment and could ask for it to be returned and I could get it done elsewhere by hunting down replacement dial etc.

6. BarryL Sep 30, 2019

Ah, thanks for this. My reply to the above crossed-over with your post.

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 30, 2019

Believe me they don't have vintage parts like dials and hands and probably not a crown either for a 1943 watch. They will have your dial refinished (I've yet to see a really good refinish come from them) and replace the hands and crown with things that will work and the reality is they will only be guessing since they have no idea what your watch looked like when new.

Save your money and find an independent watch maker to service the watch.

Hoc Nguyen, Archer, Edward53 and 3 others like this.
  8. bimmernerd Sep 30, 2019

I agree with others on this one. It's better to take it to a local watchmaker and have them take a look at it than to send it in to Omega.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 1, 2019

Bingo - there's no stock of dials, hands, or crowns for watches of this era. They will use parts that work, but certainly won't be period correct.

10. larryganz The cable guy Oct 1, 2019

Good points. I guess with my reply above I wasn't thinking about a independent watchmaker actually sourcing period correct dials, hands or crowns. I was simply thinking that if it's not all correct now, then Omega can't make it worse.

But the lack of a negative wasn't really a positive, like the alternative that the rest of you make.

11. jaguar11 Oct 1, 2019

It would have made sense to have asked before before you sent it and a picture would have been nice. In so far as to whether it is worth it the decision is yours to be based on the value it has to you and what your expectations are. Good luck!