Forums Latest Members

Vintage Omega Seamaster in need of movement maintenance (and straps)

1. Gizmo17 Jan 16, 2023

Hi, everyone, new to the forum, I was hoping to get some help. I have 2 Seamaster's that needs the movement serviced. These were my father's, I doubt they were ever serviced. They both work, but one is missing a crown and the other makes a bit of a rattling sound when I shake it. Trying to get some recommendations for reputable watchmakers that won't break the bank.
    I also need to find straps for them, the bands my father had on them were not original and didn't look very nice (expanding bracelet type bands). I was thinking a brown alligator strap, I saw a few on Otto Frei that looks decent. Any other sites you guys would recommend.

IMG_0265.jpg IMG_0266.jpg IMG_0267.jpg IMG_0268.jpg
    janice&fred likes this.
  2. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jan 16, 2023

Welcome to OF.

Nice watches and worth sorting out.

If you post where you are, someone will be able to recommend a reliable watch repairer near you who knows what he or she is doing. Don’t take it to your local mall.

So far as the crystals are concerned, if you look carefully in the centre, if there’s an 'omega' etched in the glass, it’s an original crystal and worth keeping so you’ll need to polish the crystal.

For straps, I’d get a couple of nice leather 18mm on eBay to start with. They’ll cost you £10-15 or so. You can always upgrade when you decide what style you prefer

3. Gizmo17 Jan 16, 2023

Thank you the reply, I'm in New Jersey. My old eyes can't see an Omega etched in the center, I even looked with a magnify glass. Pretty sure the crystals are original. The first watch does have a little chip on top of the date bubble.

janice&fred likes this.
  4. janice&fred Jan 16, 2023

Contact George at Tempvs Fvgit in Manhattan. Him and his watchmaker are very familiar with vintage Omega servicing. We have used their services for many years.

Tempvs Fvgit Homepage

Spruce and Gizmo17 like this.
  5. Gizmo17 Jan 16, 2023

Thanks, I’ll give them a call. Is MJ watch service a good option as well? https://www.mjwatchservice.com/

6. janice&fred Jan 17, 2023

Hi we never take chances with our collection and always use George. You will not be disappointed and his prices are very reasonable. He has been in business at the same location for decades.

Gizmo17 and Spruce like this.
  7. Gizmo17 Jan 18, 2023

Just so I know what to expect, what’s it cost approximately to have this type of service performed? I’ve never had my watches serviced before,
    Thanks!

8. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jan 19, 2023

The general idea is that the repairer looks at the watch, tells you what’s wrong with it, or what needs doing, or what parts need replacing or what your various options are and you either give the go ahead or decline.

A bit like taking your car to a mechanic or getting a plumber round.

janice&fred and Gizmo17 like this.
  9. Gizmo17 Jan 19, 2023

Great analogy, thanks!

Spruce likes this.
  10. Lailah_21 Jan 29, 2023

Gizmo17 likes this.
  11. Gizmo17 Feb 1, 2023

Great reference, thanks.