Forums Latest Members

Help Identifying Seamaster Model and Maintenance Advice

1. omega_n00b May 24, 2019

Hello,

My dad left me a watch when he passed away and I'm looking to identify which version of the Seamaster this is (browsed the web and couldn't easily find the exact watch as there are no identifiers or visible serials/model numbers) and advice on what service is recommended to maintain/clean it. It runs and keeps time as far as I can tell. It wasn't a daily wear watch for him so I'm pretty sure it just sat in a drawer most of the time.

I looked at the Omega complete service which starts at $550-$650, seems a little steep and maybe overkill in terms of maintenance, but I'm sort of clueless here. I'm based in the SF Bay Area, open to recommendation of alternative shops that may be cheaper. Thanks in advance for the help! IMG_3105.jpg IMG_3106.jpg IMG_3110.jpg Thanks in advance.

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 24, 2019

Looks like a clean original reference 166.002.

I don't have any recommendations for a watchmaker, but be sure whoever services it doesn't polish the case or clean the dial. A competent watchmaker versed in the care of vintages watches should be able to do a complete mechanical service for around $200 plus any required parts.

omega_n00b and efauser like this.
  3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 24, 2019

Do Not Send To Omega!!! If you do a site search here you'll find a few recommended watchmakers in the Bay area.

omega_n00b and connieseamaster like this.
  4. omega_n00b May 24, 2019

Thanks guys, I appreciate the quick response and advice on how to proceed. I'll search the forums for a watchmaker in my area.

5. JwRosenthal May 24, 2019

Nice looking watch and will look sharp after a service- but as Norman said, be sure they only “clean” the case and don’t polish it (polishing the crystal is fine). Polishing the case will soften the crisp lines and devalue the collector value of it. Little nicks and dings are part of the watches patina.
    Also, the bracelet isn’t factory. There were bracelet options available for that watch.
    If you google the reference number Norman sited above you will find tons of pics on the beads of rice bracelet which was what was commonly optional at the time. These watches look equally sharp on a leather or crocodile strap (brown, black, tan- whatever your taste).
    Best of luck and I’m sure you will find a great watch maker if you search the forum, or start a new thread asking specifically for a watchmaker in the Bay Area.

omega_n00b likes this.
  6. omega_n00b May 26, 2019

@JwRosenthal - Thanks for the additional context and tip on creating a new thread for a watchmaker in SF. I did not realize the bracelet on the watch was not from Omega. I actually prefer a leather strap in brown, any advice on where to begin looking? Does Omega sell leather bracelets that would fit this vintage watch or am I better off looking at aftermarket stuff?

7. JwRosenthal May 26, 2019

The fit is a common 18mm. Any 18mm strap will fit, and they do make short or long if you need.

A good place to start shopping for classic watch bands is Holbens, all quality brands, all well made, none will break the bank unless you go with really exotic.

https://holbensfinewatchbands.com/

If your looking for some fun ideas, try watchgecko (I love their suede and Italian leather straps)

https://www.watchgecko.com/

You will also need to get a spring bar tool, you can look up on YouTube as to how to use it- it’s easy once you get the hang of it.

omega_n00b likes this.