Forums Latest Members

Vintage Omega Seamaster (~1956), need help about restoration!

1. Shimakaze Feb 22, 2019

Hello,

I've recently got into horology (was very happy with my first 'major' watch purchase of a Seiko SKX007), and a family member saw my Facebook posts about my new interest and sent me two vintage watches he had that didn't work and wanted to give them to me to decide what to do with - a vintage Omega Seamaster (I think circa 1956) that he got from his uncle and a circa 1970 Bulova Accutron with a 214 movement.

The Omega Seamaster body is relatively good shape, with the exception of damage to the back edges from people prying in to get to the movement. The movement itself does not stay wound at all, but if I shake it and spin the counterweight a bit, the second hand will advance some (only while shaking it). The deep blue dial (see attached gallary) is not original, and was replaced due to water damage to the original when it 'restored' the first time by whomever my cousin contracted (I do not know to what degree). The original face was white with gold accents. The crown, although present, is broken from the stem. I'd love to restore this watch back to original, with the white face if possible. The domed glass is quite scratched.

I'd love to restore it as close to original as possible, including putting back the white dial as it came (I do not have the damaged original). I have a local guy that is very good but is said he is too busy to take on another restoration, as he is looking to retire soon. I know I don't want to send it to Omega themselves and pay $1,500+, as this doesn't really have any sentimental value to me - just an awesome vintage watch I'd love to have in good working order and have it look good again.

Assuming the movement itself is not broken (since it did work for my cousin after his restoration) and just needs some TLC, how much should I be expecting to spend on its restoration? Also, do you have any recommendations on places or people who do an awesome job servicing such a vintage watch? I'm a bit out of my element right now, and someone suggested I come to all of you. I really want to be able to rock this fantastic watch.

Attached are some pictures at different angles. I'm sorry the lighting isn't any better. Thank you for all your help in advance!

EDIT: Located in central Connecticut region (United States). Added photos for the inside back case and the movement itself.

20190221_204016.jpg 20190221_204052.jpg 20190221_204106.jpg 20190221_204113.jpg 20190224_160527.jpg 20190224_160554.jpg 20190224_162723.jpg
    Edited Feb 24, 2019
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 22, 2019

Please post the images here. We hate following links.

3. Shimakaze Feb 22, 2019

Sorry about that; I attached them as pictures to the original post!

efauser likes this.
  4. Shimakaze Feb 24, 2019

Hello again,

Is anyone able to help please?

5. Vicke Feb 24, 2019

Giving us your location would be good if you want a watchmaker recommendation.

Shimakaze likes this.
  6. Shimakaze Feb 24, 2019

Thank you, I feel foolish that I didn't even think to include that. I'm live in central Connecticut region (United States).

7. OMEGuy Feb 24, 2019

Though you said you don't want to open the back, it might be very important to post some pictures of the movement and the inside of the caseback!

Otherwise this might be too difficult to help you, even for all the experts that are here for sure. :)

I would recommend to have the back opened by a professional watchmaker, not a bubble gum seller in the mall.

Edited Feb 24, 2019
    Shimakaze likes this.
  8. Shimakaze Feb 24, 2019

Fair enough. I took some precautions with some electric tape and used my cheap amazon watch case pry knife to carefully pop the back off. I've attached those photos to the original post. I don't know know how to interpret all these numbers, haha!

9. OMEGuy Feb 24, 2019

Thank you. So now the experts here can see a late 1950's 2846-4 SC / 2848 watch with cal. 500 on board.

If you are able to put the movement rotor to a different position, they will be able to read the serial number of the movement.

Shimakaze likes this.
  10. Shimakaze Feb 24, 2019

The movement serial is 15340364. I'll try to get a clear picture of that as well.

EDIT: Added as photo of the serial. Thank you for your help with getting all the relevant information!

Edited Feb 24, 2019
    ConElPueblo and OMEGuy like this.
  11. OMEGuy Feb 24, 2019

Thank you for giving all this information. :thumbsup:

Anyway, I am convinced that now some experienced members here will be able to tell you how your dial should look like and if it matches the ref. of your watch.

Shimakaze likes this.
  12. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 24, 2019

I'll bite. That is a 1956-7 model 2846 Seamaster using the 17 jewel full rotor 500 movement, therefore made for the US market. Only problem is the dial has no Seamaster markings, they normally do. Note it does say so on the caseback. On that basis alone I agree it is a redial, but the cross hairs and their alignment with the AML also offer concern. I have a 2846 and it looks rather different:
    IMG_2439.jpg IMG_2440.jpg

Edited Feb 24, 2019
    Shimakaze and OMEGuy like this.
  13. OMEGuy Feb 24, 2019

A redial? If so, it's a good and early one.

Edited Feb 25, 2019
    Shimakaze likes this.
  14. Shimakaze Feb 24, 2019

Thank you. Yes, my cousin did admit to having it redialed when the original face was damaged due to water (this was back in the 70s he said). I loved to have this restored back to how yours look, but I don't know where to do and if I need to supply a replacement face. Or if it is even worth it to restore overall.

Edited Feb 24, 2019
  15. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 24, 2019

You could have the existing dial restored and the watch serviced but as a gold cap model you could easily lay out more than it will be worth. A better option may be to look out for an original dial on eBay etc but be careful the costs don’t escalate, they easily could.

16. Shimakaze Feb 25, 2019

Does anyone have any suggestions on who I could reach out to about restoring it and maybe get a ballpark figure of what it would cost to do so?

17. jagdish Feb 25, 2019

we can restore the watch for you. Let me know your location so that i can provide the rough estimates

18. ChrisN Feb 25, 2019

I might be able to help if you can't find anyone locally.

I have a calibre 5xx dial that should suit. It is similar to @padders dial but this is grey. It is an original Omega. Just a quick phone photo as I have finished for the day.
    5xx dial.jpg

My notes say it fits a 2846 (dials vary by case) but I'd need to have your watch here to check and I'm in UK... So, not ideal for you and I fully appreciate if you want a watchmaker who is local to you instead.

I'll definitely have some 5xx hands to suit but I'd need to confirm. Let me know by mail if you might be interested - no concerns if you aren't.

Cheers, Chris

Shabbaz and padders like this.