Vintage Omega Daily Driver?

Posts
293
Likes
989
Vintage watches are surprisingly robust in my experience. I wore my Grandfather's old Lanco daily for about 6 years while living in London. It was left to me, I liked it, so I put it on and wore it. Through wind, rain, snow, fog and sleet I wore it. At one point my dog tried to eat it but that watch didn't miss a beat. Eventually it started to lose time so went to a little man in Soho for a service.
He asked me how I wore the watch, I said on my wrist. He told me the watch would probably only have been worn on Sundays and special occasions by my grandfather and I should reconsider this as an everyday watch as 'twas barely dust proof let alone water resistant. I continued to wear the watch daily until I got myself an indestructible CWC quartz. After the CWC my next daily was a '76 Speedmaster and then things started to get a little out of hand. Here is my Lanco today, alive and ticking.
Edited:
 
Posts
87
Likes
409
Vintage watches are surprisingly robust in my experience. I wore my Grandfather's old Lanco daily for about 6 years while living in London. It was left to me, I liked it, so I put it on and wore it. Through wind, rain, snow, fog and sleet I wore it. At one point my dog tried to eat it but that watch didn't miss a beat. Eventually it started to lose time so went to a little man in Soho for a service.
He asked me how I wore the watch, I said on my wrist. He told me the watch would probably only have been worn on Sundays and special occasions by my grandfather and I should reconsider this as an everyday watch as 'twas barely dust proof let alone water resistant. I continued to wear the watch daily until I got myself an indestructible CWC quartz. After the CWC my next daily was a '76 Speedmaster and then things started to get a little out of hand. Here is my Lanco today, alive and ticking.

My mind is divided on the everyday wear idea. My attitude tilts toward the idea that watches are meant to be worn, but for heirlooms and collectables, there is the idea of irreplaceability. Here is my dad's old Eterna. I can't say that it is super valuable, but If it broke irreparably, my heart would break with it. You might say that any vintage watch would never be made again. Once it's gone, it's gone.

Iceter suggested a reworked watch is the way to go since they have lost some of the collector value. I agree, though they seem to be harder to find than I thought. And I do find myself attracted to watches that have original crowns, etc...
 
Posts
16,305
Likes
45,025
My mind is divided on the everyday wear idea. My attitude tilts toward the idea that watches are meant to be worn, but for heirlooms and collectables, there is the idea of irreplaceability. Here is my dad's old Eterna. I can't say that it is super valuable, but If it broke irreparably, my heart would break with it. You might say that any vintage watch would never be made again. Once it's gone, it's gone.

Iceter suggested a reworked watch is the way to go since they have lost some of the collector value. I agree, though they seem to be harder to find than I thought. And I do find myself attracted to watches that have original crowns, etc...
I don't think it needs to be that black and white. Yes watches are meant to be worn, but an 18k Connie is out of place on a construction site (unless you are the Architect). I think there is a place in every day life for any vintage piece- it's just about finding the appropriate environment.
 
Posts
5,631
Likes
5,814
Or matching the watch to your environment.

If you have a desk job, OK. If you use a jackhammer every day, OK too. Let us know!
 
Posts
293
Likes
989
I don't think it needs to be that black and white. Yes watches are meant to be worn, but an 18k Connie is out of place on a construction site (unless you are the Architect). I think there is a place in every day life for any vintage piece- it's just about finding the appropriate environment.

Totally agree. I wore my Grandfather's watch daily for years only because I was ignorant of its' fragility. It took a watchmaker to tell me to be more circumspect and, thanks to him, I have a working heirloom watch that I can still wear but only on days that suit its' delicate nature.
 
Posts
24,797
Likes
55,079
I don't think it needs to be that black and white. Yes watches are meant to be worn, but an 18k Connie is out of place on a construction site (unless you are the Architect). I think there is a place in every day life for any vintage piece- it's just about finding the appropriate environment.

Or matching the watch to your environment.

If you have a desk job, OK. If you use a jackhammer every day, OK too. Let us know!
Totally agree. I wore my Grandfather's watch daily for years only because I was ignorant of its' fragility. It took a watchmaker to tell me to be more circumspect and, thanks to him, I have a working heirloom watch that I can still wear but only on days that suit its' delicate nature.


Totally agree. Good excuse to buy 40 or 50 vintage watches of all types, then you can choose the right watch for the occasion. 😁
 
Posts
5,631
Likes
5,814
Totally agree. I wore my Grandfather's watch daily for years only because I was ignorant of its' fragility. It took a watchmaker to tell me to be more circumspect and, thanks to him, I have a working heirloom watch that I can still wear but only on days that suit its' delicate nature.
Nonsense!

That watch didn't change based on what your watchmaker said.

It is not that fragile!

It is not delicate!

Do you know how many soldiers in WWI on both sides wore those watches and the watches survived?

You want to wear that watch every day, you wear it every day. Did your grandfather put it away so he could only wear it once a month?

Of course not!

Don't let this bullshit take enjoyment from you.
 
Posts
16,305
Likes
45,025


I have no problem wearing any of these any day of the week. But when I know I'm going to be on a construction site (which is part of my job), or anywhere near water- they aren't going with me. That's my personal choice.
 
Posts
293
Likes
989
Nonsense!

That watch didn't change based on what your watchmaker said.

It is not that fragile!

It is not delicate!

Do you know how many soldiers in WWI on both sides wore those watches and the watches survived?

You want to wear that watch every day, you wear it every day. Did your grandfather put it away so he could only wear it once a month?

Of course not!

Don't let this bullshit take enjoyment from you.

You are right the watch did not change, my attitude did. The watch survived daily wear for several years on my wrist and my mother confirmed that while my grandfather did not wear the watch daily, he certainly wore it regularly.
When I first received the watch I simply saw a nice timepiece and, having no watch at that point, wore it. As I came to appreciate the Lanco more I admit I did become reluctant to wear it daily. This was also prompted by my dog trying to ingest the watch and detaching the back, which I thankfully found in a garden bed.
A replacement back for a watch like this could be a long search so I opted to keep the Lanco as a dress watch and bought the CWC as a beater. Now I am lucky to have several watches to choose from on a daily basis but the Lanco remains my go to dress watch.
 
Posts
5,631
Likes
5,814
You are right the watch did not change, my attitude did. The watch survived daily wear for several years on my wrist and my mother confirmed that while my grandfather did not wear the watch daily, he certainly wore it regularly.
When I first received the watch I simply saw a nice timepiece and, having no watch at that point, wore it. As I came to appreciate the Lanco more I admit I did become reluctant to wear it daily. This was also prompted by my dog trying to ingest the watch and detaching the back, which I thankfully found in a garden bed.
A replacement back for a watch like this could be a long search so I opted to keep the Lanco as a dress watch and bought the CWC as a beater. Now I am lucky to have several watches to choose from on a daily basis but the Lanco remains my go to dress watch.
Nothing wrong with your choices because they were made for your reasons.

But your watchmaker "lied" to you a bit.
 
Posts
13,519
Likes
23,457
I don't think it needs to be that black and white. Yes watches are meant to be worn, but an 18k Connie is out of place on a construction site (unless you are the Architect). I think there is a place in every day life for any vintage piece- it's just about finding the appropriate environment.

I'd say that has nothing to do with the watch being vintage. It's simply not the right type of watch for that environment. Just in the same way I wouldn't wear a brand new 18ct Cartier tank or a pair of loafers on a construction site.
 
Posts
293
Likes
989
Nothing wrong with your choices because they were made for your reasons.

But your watchmaker "lied" to you a bit.

The London watchmaker also told me the Lanco was from 1933, how he got that exact date is beyond me. I had thought 40s or 50s, my mother has no idea how old the watch is and there is not a lot of information around Lanco on the net. I only used that watchmaker once, would have been about 1985, went there because he specialised in vintage and was close.
When I took the watch to a watchmaker in Australia about ten years later he again gave me a long tale about caring for the Lanco and insisted I show him how I wound the watch, how often I wore it etc. Maybe they both thought the watch is something special but am sure it has no other value than as a family piece.
My current watchmaker actually managed to track down a new crystal for me, the old one had cracked. As a plus this means I can now see the time properly and am wearing the Lanco more these days. He, however, did not give me any advice on how I should treat the watch😀
 
Posts
211
Likes
315
I think it is high time we revived this old thread for those of us who wear vintage Omegas regularly.

I don't like the idea of drawer queens or worse still safe/deposit box denizens!

Watches are made to be worn, to be used, and to wear.

Let's post pics of daily wearing and usage.

Here's my (to the best of my knowledge) '72 Speedie Mark II.


I wear it most of the time, except when doing anything dangerous or water borne, when I usually defer to a Sub homage. It is 100% original in terms of dial, hands and case, with only pushers replaced by me. The dial and hands are very uniformly aged and have a beautiful patina, IMO.

That said, I asked my tame horologist to check the seals on the Mark II and he said it went past 10m in pressure testing, so that's good enough for splash proof.

What do vintage piece do you wear daily?
 
Posts
73
Likes
42
I enjoy my vintage watches, but if I'm going somewhere where it might get wet, or subjected to impact, I often take my Longines Conquest Heritage.
 
Posts
20
Likes
23
Hi. I do too love vintage models and despite having them serviced and being cautios enough of using them in normal situations ( office, restaurants, shopping, etc) I carry a Zip Lock plastic small bag and a soft wrapping paper in it just in case it suddenly rains hard or want to hide it if crossing a not so secure area in the City.
Enjoy yours in good health, congrats its very nice.
 
Posts
15,931
Likes
47,835
Watches have a finite life expectancy. Your 60, 70, or 80 year old watch is likely 40, 50, or 60% used up. You be the judge on how much of the normal life expectancy is left before you use up what is left. Wear it a lot for a short time, or wear it sparingly for a long time. Your choice.
 
Posts
211
Likes
315
Watches have a finite life expectancy. Your 60, 70, or 80 year old watch is likely 40, 50, or 60% used up. You be the judge on how much of the normal life expectancy is left before you use up what is left. Wear it a lot for a short time, or wear it sparingly for a long time. Your choice.
I'd have to disagree.
An Omega watch is generally built to a certain standard, meaning they are near endlessly serviceable. Where I got my Mark II, I got it fully serviced and it has been perfect ever since. As the movement is so common in terms of parts availability, I'd expect to be able to do that for at least my lifetime.
It is not a zero sum game.
 
Posts
15,931
Likes
47,835
I'd have to disagree.
An Omega watch is generally built to a certain standard, meaning they are near endlessly serviceable. Where I got my Mark II, I got it fully serviced and it has been perfect ever since. As the movement is so common in terms of parts availability, I'd expect to be able to do that for at least my lifetime.
It is not a zero sum game.
👎
 
Posts
186
Likes
163
I'd have to disagree.
An Omega watch is generally built to a certain standard, meaning they are near endlessly serviceable. Where I got my Mark II, I got it fully serviced and it has been perfect ever since. As the movement is so common in terms of parts availability, I'd expect to be able to do that for at least my lifetime.
It is not a zero sum game.
👍
👎
👎