Forums Latest Members

Vintage IWC (International Watch Company) Information

1. Fallout Boy Jun 3, 2021

IMO probably portuguese case or gold-plated (?) in Portugal. I don't , what know your number 4 means..
    IWC Stempel Portugal.jpg

queriver likes this.
  2. Flatfoot Jun 3, 2021

lovely watch, the teardrop case is very appealing.

I believe the ML is a cameo type sponsor mark, to identify the case as it was present to some authority who assayed the case material as to its purity. My understanding is that the sponsor mark is applied first, then the assay mark is applied following gold content confirmation.

I was unable to find either the sponsor mark, or the wolfs head symbol with its number 4 following a quick search through a quick look of the online resources I have found. Perhaps others can help out. Consequently, I would agree with your belief that the watch was cased outside of Switzerland. The second link below shows marks cataloged from around the world, so with a fresh cup of coffee and some time, a deep dive into that link may provide the answer for you.

I believe you can get a COA from IWC for your watch. If you do, that may show you some clues as to the country the watch was delivered to, and may narrow your search.

some case mark links that I have found helpful are:

https://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/casemarks.php

https://www.925-1000.com/foreign_marks.html

TimeODanaos and queriver like this.
  3. queriver Jun 3, 2021

@Fallout Boy @Flatfoot Thank you both for your input. Further to my previous post, the only vague info from a few years ago I have about these marks was that someone who also has ML on their IWC caseback posted somewhere that it represents an unknown/unnamed Austrian casemaker. I've also read that the wolf/dog mark with 4 denotes a 14k gold case (and below graphic seems to confirm that). Hungary had marks with wolves but so do the Portuguese, as FalloutBoy mentions, so in all likelihood it comes from some place between the Atlantic and the Danube.

From (http://magyarermebolt.hu/catalog/hallmarks.php) ->

upload_2021-6-3_23-55-41.png

Edited Jun 3, 2021
    TimeODanaos likes this.
  4. TimeODanaos Jun 3, 2021

I'm probably a bit more cautious - like you, I take care with all of them, but while this is in my rotation, just, it only gets a few special outings a year. But that infrequency does actually make it feel all the more special!

5. Armano Jan 4, 2022

Hello
    Can anyone help me with this one.Only I know about it ,is bought new 1970.I think it is some 1963.model.
    Now I know it has no original straps,crown.glass and hands,all other is in perfect working konditions and all ove, watch is in very good condition for its ages , IT is 18k 750 solid gold model 36mm .
    Anyone knows more or maybe some fair selling price?
    Thank you in advance

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 4, 2022

start a thread and add pictures

7. hejsam May 3, 2022

An 50s IWC with the automatic 853 movement
    03DDF5D0-2740-4680-B51E-27E4EACC68BB.jpeg

Tyro Rex, rbob99, Tony C. and 8 others like this.
  8. Neeb May 7, 2022

I posted about my IWC here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/iwc-ref-802-case-mystery.144595/

DSC05244.JPG
    As I explain in that thread it's a bit of a mystery, as it seems to be an R802A, but with a subtly different case design froim teh standard R802A. Anyway, I've just sent it to IWC for an estimate for servicing, so maybe they can tell me something about it.

Fallout Boy likes this.
  9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 7, 2022

Hope you are sitting down when you get the quote. It will likely be double the value of the watch, if not more.
    gatorcpa

watchyouwant likes this.
  10. Neeb May 7, 2022

Damn... Really?

They've been very nice and polite so far, now perhaps I know why!

Well, if the worst comes to the worst they might be able to tell me something about the watch, and if the quote is ridiculous I can take the watch back and send it to watch guy instead..

11. chrispegley Jun 2, 2022

12. chrispegley Jun 2, 2022

2nd attempt

This is another watch that insisted I buy it
    I think it was in the late 90s
    it was sold to me as a 60s watch but looking at the serial no 1104191 it coud be 40s/50s any other info greatly received DSCF2675.JPG DSCF2671.JPG