Forums Latest Members
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CameronD Feb 22, 2021

First dose three weeks ago. Received a call, out of the blue at 11:30 am asking if I could make a 2:45 pm (14:45) appointment that day. I did. I am now on the list for second dose this week. Fingers crossed.

jsducote likes this.
  2. FREDMAYCOIN Feb 22, 2021

I don’t want my at all, so someone else could have it.

3. pnwyankee Feb 22, 2021

Dibs

JohnWoo, FREDMAYCOIN and TimeODanaos like this.
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 22, 2021

Very frustrating ...not quite 65/Type 2 ... I fall right into the grey zone with my health system. Fortunately the county considers me eligible. Tomorrow I drive an hour South after redialing a hotline number every day. This morning it took me 60 tries to get through. My wife got her first shot last Wed in the City.

5. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 22, 2021

My dad got his first one this past week, and my mom gets her 2nd this Friday. So at least by early March I don't need to worry as much about me parents, especially my dad as he eats out almost daily because he does not cook.

Walrus, blufinz52 and jsducote like this.
  6. kcgunner Feb 23, 2021

I've had both does of Pfizer. The first made really tired for a day after. The second I had nothing. So I'm good to go. I'd recommend it.

7. jsducote Feb 23, 2021

The past 2 weeks or so have been quite a tease, frozen Houston notwithstanding:
    - The federal government announced they'd bought enough doses for everyone in the country,
    - Walmart & Sam's Club set up their websites to take appointments (none available, however),
    - The state announced they were setting up 3 massive vax locations,
    - The city announced that our city vax site would get half the allocation of the entire state (sorry Dallas!).

But then the announcement today was that the city vax site is only for 65+ or 60+ with underlying conditions AND priority given to specific ZIP codes. I wish I were higher up the list but I don't begrudge anyone getting theirs. Unfortunately for me, that means continuing my daily scroll through the websites looking for changes. The corner druggists (CVS, Walgreens) have had websites set up for a while now to schedule appointments, but there haven't been any available. I take that to mean that, apart from the odd lot, doses still really haven't been allocated to retailers on a regular basis yet. The local grocery store chain (fyi - many in US have an embedded pharmacy) had some appointments way out in west Texas (8+ hour drive!) a few weeks back, which was encouraging, but it was just a few and there haven't been any more since.

Fiancée should get #2 this Friday.

TimeODanaos likes this.
  8. sxl2004 Feb 24, 2021

JetLinks, JohnWoo, jsducote and 3 others like this.
  9. pdxleaf ... Feb 24, 2021

BUTTON?!! You gotta button? I didn't get no button.

(Love the watch choice. Reliable, rough and ready.)

sxl2004 likes this.
  10. sxl2004 Feb 24, 2021

Yes I choose the Arnie very deliberately, you never know the shoving and pushing in the waiting area. Was totally unnecessary as everything was very well organized with no real waiting times.
    I had a choice of button vs rubber wrist band. Went with the classic.
    Just to prove we’re it was.

F99B2447-D400-481B-8840-6224FFDACCCE.jpeg

RI Omega Fan, pdxleaf and Walrus like this.
  11. Walrus Feb 24, 2021

Glad to see people getting it and many reporting a smooth experience. Hope the issues in Canada are resolved quickly this isn’t a contest in my eyes this is a world wide event the sooner everyone gets it the better. The second dose really kicked my behind. Plenty of my coworkers had very little reaction to either dose a handful had some bad ones. I’m glad it’s behind me but I’m still gloved up and masked at work which seems odd even though I knew this was the plan. Bottom line, at least we are seeing a light at the end of the tunnel and we know it’s not a train.

JohnWoo, blufinz52, Joe_A and 5 others like this.
  12. sxl2004 Feb 24, 2021

It is important to understand that even after vaccination, one can still get infected and can transmit the virus. Vaccination prevents severe disease as measured during the trials.

Best and stay safe.

13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 24, 2021

I got me a sticker and a card. Next stick is 3/17 and closer to home. The drive was hellish to get the first.
    2613BFB8-A2CE-4146-9DB8-2B93EBF978DB.jpeg

JohnWoo, pdxleaf, jsducote and 2 others like this.
  14. jsducote Feb 24, 2021

Maybe the trick is to whinge about it online? City health offered another 1000 doses today which were all snapped up in 4 minutes. As I made my morning rounds checking the sites of the various providers, I noticed that a large 3-letter drug-store chain had some appointments available. At first, the only locations were an hour's drive away but digging deeper I found one only 15-minutes away and managed to schedule both a first (this Sunday) and second dose. Later in the afternoon, one of the larger hospital's contacted me to offer a first-dose appointment later next week. On the off-chance that something goes wrong with that first appointment, I've got a backup - yes, I will cancel it as soon as I'm certain it isn't needed.

Larry S likes this.
  15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 25, 2021

Same. I was sluggish yesterday, some arm pain. Still managed two long walks with the dog. I feel fine today.

sxl2004 likes this.
  16. jsducote Feb 25, 2021

OK, so the roll call includes 2 Seamaster POs, a Pogue, an 1861 Speedy Pro, a Mk2 auto, and an Arnie. I imagine there's quite a bit of bias for me to wear my FOIS for dose one, but I'm tempted to add diversity with one of my Heuers...

pdxleaf likes this.
  17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 26, 2021

Sticking to the original topic.
    Provider: Hays county public health
    Group classification: 1b
    Vaccine: Pfizer
    Date: 02/24
    Watch: Omega PO ti

cvalue13 and jsducote like this.
  18. philh Feb 26, 2021

Sticking as cicindela to topic and against all my long held beliefs I went to the John Smiths stadium the home of Huddersfield Town notwithstanding I am an ardent Leeds United fan ( Jets going to Giants/ Milan to Juve ) but despite this immense sacrifice I wore my Heuer 6365 W 20 known as Heuer Diver 1000. It is a quartz and not a great watch but it was an aspirational watch to me in the 1980s and holds a lot of memories when I was in my 20s and invincible. Now I am clearly not and dependent on science to make me more resilient.

My jab was Astra Zeneca,2nd dose booked and no side effects other than lethargy which is no issue and as a 60 year old with no issues I do feel I am privileged to be in such a position.

Kmart, pdxleaf, JohnWoo and 5 others like this.
  19. pnwyankee Feb 26, 2021

Scored Dose #1 a few hours ago
    Here's a wrist shot taken at the clinic minutes after the jab ( 10:57 ) - damn!, should have hit the flyback pusher
    ( not a great wrist shot - but a great moment )

IMG_2236.jpg

pdxleaf, JohnWoo, ConElPueblo and 2 others like this.
  20. Marsimaxam Feb 26, 2021

As a healthcare provider I have been fortunate to have had both doses. Unfortunately, no one else in my family has received the vaccine.

Thoughts...
    1. First dose, had minimal side effects; sore arm and very slightly lethargic. Second dose the side effects were the same but a bit more intense. I have found after talking to a number of friends and colleagues that this is very typical. Expect more intense side effects for the second dose.

2. Everyone please get vaccinated. I understand that if you have had Covid the recommendation is that you wait 90 days after symptoms subside to get the vaccine.

3. After you receive your vaccine dose continue practicing all precautionary behavior. Wear masks, keep at least 6 feet apart and wash your hands frequently. Cloth masks do not stop viral matter, and if you are standing too close to someone who is infected you can become infected, regardless if both parties are wearing cloth masks...

4. Remember the vaccine does not make you immune to Covid, but, rather it is designed to prevent serious illness. You can still get Covid and you can still infect others. I did read a study from Israel that did state that the vaccine does reduce transmission.

4. It's been a very frustrating experience; the pandemic and the foolish behavior of far too many people. It's too soon to let our guard down. Stay safe, get vaccinated, protect yourself and others, and a better tomorrow awaits.

curlo, RI Omega Fan, cvalue13 and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.