Forums Latest Members
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 21, 2021

I'm under 55 and no underlying health issues, so I have not even bothered to see when a vaccine is in my future. If I had to guess, maybe July or Aug. But I don't really care so much, so long as they are able to get the 65+ group vaccinated asap.

2. pdxleaf ... Feb 21, 2021

Appreciate that intent.

Regardless, there's a lot more to reality than those few stats.

20210221_120022.jpg

Sitting at the VA post shot. ("I see old people...")
    Got lucky. They had extra and someone sent an email that was forwarded to me. Not jumping the line even though it feels a bit like it. At 64, I was coming up anyway.

Moderna. Next one March 21st (Spring!)

Got a little card as proof.

Mandatory wruw shot
    16139383248164175693584509356465.jpg

Walrus, TimeODanaos, jsducote and 4 others like this.
  3. Fish70 Feb 21, 2021

I got my second Moderna jab on Friday. Felt like crap on Saturday but back to normal today.

20210221_102128.jpg

4. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Feb 21, 2021

That's not the case. The Phase III trial data for the Pfizer vaccine showed that after 12 days participants were essentially fully protected, even though they didn’t get the second dose until day 21. Pfizer assumed a 5 day incubation period, meaning that people were protected from infection about 7 days after the first injection. Ongoing immunological studies show that the second dose boosts the response, with the major likely benefit of extending its longevity significantly. We just don’t know how long it will last without that second dose, which is why the USA don’t want to change the advice unless and until we do get that data.
    85596D2F-63F1-48C3-AB51-EB501EA1F7BB.jpeg

Toad, apsm100, TimeODanaos and 2 others like this.
  5. Dogmann Feb 21, 2021

Hi all.
    I live in the UK and am 60 but have a long term chronic pain issues not sure if this puts me in the vulnerable status category or not but anyway received a text on Monday 15th Feb and booked an appointment for the jab on Wednesday 17th Feb. I was offered different time slots to choose from and I received the Pfizer vaccine had a really sore injection site only after a few hours which then got really painful late that night and by next morning no pain at all. I have to say I was impressed at how easy both booking and receiving the jab was and that the whole process seemed to run so smoothly with so many able to receive their jabs.

Marc

cicindela, jsducote and TimeODanaos like this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 21, 2021

In finite terms, yes the US has done more than anyone so far. Per capita also not quite on the podium, but close.

But it's not exactly a fair competition after all, and the results will vary depending on how you look at the data. If you want to look at how well the vaccine rollout is going (how well it is being administered) then looking at the doses available to you compared to what has been given is likely the best measure. No idea what that number is for the US.

For us up here in the Great White North, supply is the primary issue. You can't "roll out" what you don't have...although the situation is set to be improving soon apparently.

pdxleaf, KAP, cvalue13 and 1 other person like this.
  7. bags1971 Feb 21, 2021

Got mine this Tuesday

jsducote likes this.
  8. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Feb 21, 2021

Got the 2nd shot (Pfizer) on Monday. Other than a little sore where I got 'jabbed', no ill effects.

jsducote likes this.
  9. SAlexandrov Feb 21, 2021

Got my first jab (AstraZeneca) on Friday. No ill effects except pain in the injection site.

jsducote and Foo2rama like this.
  10. cvalue13 Feb 21, 2021

Important also to note that people often misunderstand what “efficacy” means in these vaccines:

In short, even when the vaccine is not “effective” (in the clinical research definition of prohibiting infection), it still can drastically reduce the symptoms and severity of the effects of the infection.

Not posting this because anyone said anything to the contrary here, but because it seems a helpful clarification anytime “efficacy” is being discussed.

So, with only one dose the efficacy may or may not be reduced absent the second shot, but it still produces some immunity; and even if not producing immunity, it definitely mitigates the negative effects of infection.

Let’s just hope we all get our two shots soon, and are back to letting our kids play with one another soon.

3nicewatches and TimeODanaos like this.
  11. MRC Feb 21, 2021

Yeah, pieces of steel in the flesh have that effect. It's worse if they break off and stay in there. An ex-machinist's opinion ......

I had the same minor reaction but a friend who gets a lot more colds per winter than I do had the flushes and shakes. Despite some alarmist headlines I suspect that reaction is much more down to the basic health of the individual's immune system than the actual vaccine administered.

BTW, sharp (and I do mean sharp) pieces of nylon are harder to dig out than steel. Perhaps you didn't want to know that :p

12. SAlexandrov Feb 21, 2021

I prefer not to think about what I had in my flesh... Especially if that means needless...
    I'm glad that it's done. At least half of the job. After two months I'll have to take another jab

13. cvalue13 Feb 21, 2021

While we down in here meanwhile appear to have all the supplies, and challenges with the roll out of those supplies. To the extent succeeding, despite ourselves.

From a logistics perspective, probably better to view the U.S. as an analogue not to Canada but to the whole of the E.U. (Pre-Brexit), in terms of geographic size meets number of different and overlapping jurisdictional regimes - and so diversity of successes in roll out. Looking at a U.S. average, if you will, obscures the apparent diversity in success across different jurisdictions.

curlo likes this.
  14. Ramjet Feb 21, 2021

I have gotten both of my doses of the Pfizer vaccine. No side effects other than injection site pain. Work in healthcare directly supporting the care givers on the front lines. Been at the facility full time through out it all.

jsducote, TimeODanaos and pnwyankee like this.
  15. KAP Feb 21, 2021

As of today for US, the stats are: 18.9 million fully vaccinated; 43.6 million received one or both doses, 75.2 million doses have been distributed. Similar stats available state by state. All at the link I posted earlier with lots of additional information, but limited to US coverage.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/health/covid-vaccine-states-distribution-doses/

As my northern neighbor to the east, I hope Canada is able to receive greater numbers of vaccines soon. Heck that goes for everywhere. We are all in this together.

Archer likes this.
  16. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 21, 2021

I like this. We need a "What Watch Did Your Wear to Get Vaccinated" thread.

pdxleaf, Darlinboy and sxl2004 like this.
  17. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Feb 21, 2021

Also, loving the skull on the nurse’s Apple watch!

pdxleaf and jsducote like this.
  18. TimeODanaos Feb 21, 2021

Oops - had Pfizer Wednesday (bumped up the list owing to frankly inconsequential little heart issue), was carried away in the moment and forgot, my bad. Re-creation below. The mandatory 15 minute post-injection wait period gave me the first dry-land excuse in ages to set the timer on this bad boy! :D
    (Anyone else with a sore arm have trouble swinging a heavyweight watch the evening of V-day?)
    87.jpg

jsducote likes this.
  19. Toad Cottonheadedninnymuggins Feb 21, 2021

Agree, seems like the concern is protection longevity without the second dose, the curves diverge fairly dramatically with just a single dose.
    Was vaccinated back in December. Pfizer. Finally seeing a dramatic drop in cases at our hospital...

20. Joe_A Feb 21, 2021

Wife and I got the first Moderna shot (Nassau County, NY) on the 13th of February. Second shot scheduled for March 13th. We qualify based upon age.

It still feels like winning a lottery.

Just tonight we picked up take-out from an Italian restaurant nearby where we are friendly with one of the younger waitresses. She obtained her first Pfizer shot also on the 13th at a NY state sponsored facility, her qualification based upon having a compromised immune system. Her 7 and 8 year-old children could not understand why she was so happy to "get a needle," lol.

pdxleaf and jsducote like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.