Forums Latest Members
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. egri Mar 15, 2021

I got both my shots in January (Pfizer). After the first one, my arm was a bit sore. After the second, I felt like I got hit by a freight train. I slept soundly that night and woke up feeling better. No ill effects since.

jsducote likes this.
  2. Evitzee Mar 15, 2021

Wife and I got first Moderna shot on March 5th in central Texas (both over 65). Registered interest online about six weeks ago and a couple of weeks ago got a phone call from a woman setting up our appointments. In and out in 20 minutes, and that included the mandatory 15 minute wait after injection to see if allergic reaction occurred. No issues whatsoever with sore arm, nausea or any side effects even though the paperwork warned we might, I think that aspect of the process is overblown and possibly scaring off some people. Most people I know have had at least one of the two shots. And my wife's massage therapist got the J&J 'one and done' jab at the local Walmart last week. It's happening here. We live in tourist town and it is jam packed now with spring break visitors. Most still wear masks going into stores, but not walking around in public or in restaurants.

Edited Mar 15, 2021
    jsducote likes this.
  3. makaria indica Mar 15, 2021

I had the Pfeizer last week, next one due 30.3 as others have mentioned the sore arm was the only S.E noted..

I have also completed the vaccinatior training in anticipation of helping out, what will be a mammoth task....

jsducote likes this.
  4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 15, 2021

2 for 2 today with Pfizer.
    Smooth.

jsducote and SpikiSpikester like this.
  5. VinceFR Mar 16, 2021

I've got my shot last sunday with the AstraZeneca ... In view of the controversy in Europe, I hope that I will have my second injection

jsducote likes this.
  6. 30t1 Mar 16, 2021

Can’t even get an appointment, here in San Diego. I’m on the last tier, so we’ll see. I’m traveling in a couple of months.

7. Joe_A Mar 16, 2021

We got our second jab this past Saturday . . .

This time some minor side-effects, but nothing to complain about . . .

2nd-vax.gif

jsducote, pdxleaf and ChrisN like this.
  8. Dsloan Mar 16, 2021

Got my first dose of Pfizer today. I went to a stadium mass vaccination site and it truly made me proud of my fellow humans. It was a highly organized affair. They seemed to be processing close to a thousand people an hour.

jsducote likes this.
  9. warrydog Mar 16, 2021

I’m scheduled for Phizer day after tomorrow. Very much looking forward to it.

jsducote likes this.
  10. Redwes25 Mar 16, 2021

Got first dose of Moderna on Sunday. Felt like someone hit my arm with a baseball bat yesterday and I was bit tired but that is well worth it.

jsducote likes this.
  11. cvalue13 Mar 16, 2021

also doesn’t take into consideration ~30% of the population is under age of 16 and not eligible

if NYT is saying “90% by July” it must only mean “90% of those who both want the vaccine and also are eligible for the vaccine”...

12. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Mar 17, 2021

When they issue similar projections in the uk they say by date x that 90% of the population will have been "offered" the vaccine

cvalue13 and ChrisN like this.
  13. lexieb007 Mar 17, 2021

Ist dose AstraZeneca

jsducote likes this.
  14. ChrisN Mar 17, 2021

It's going very well in some areas but the big cities seem to lag behind. It makes some sense that the rural areas can organise this.

Picture below from the local BBC News channel (Spotlight) that covers the South West of UK being Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and Somerset. We are doing stunningly well in Somerset (and the other areas) but East London is the worst in England. I'm very fortunate to be in Somerset where 53% of over 16s had received one dose by 7 March and they've delivered 245,000 doses.
    vaccine.jpg

Somerset population is about 560,000 so, expect 480,000 (roughly) aged over 16. With 245,000 doses already given representing 53%, that looks like close to 100% take up.

Cheers, Chris

Gav1967 likes this.
  15. TimeODanaos Mar 17, 2021

"Organising" is not the problem in some places, but persuasion. No doubt the inner cities are being "offered" shots intensively and the 90% will be met, but will they take them? With its poor socio-economics and high proportion of Bangladeshi heritage, E London could not be a lot more different from beautiful Somerset (btw where my mother was born), and no surprise its practically vax hesitancy central. Not being helped by the latest Euro-craziness over safety, for which I think Macron and Merkel should hang their heads in shame.

16. ChrisN Mar 17, 2021

Yes, reluctance to take the vaccine is probably an issue in some communities and, I believe that as they move down through the age groups they expect more people to refuse. Someone talked to me about this and was furious that some people will decline the vaccine but, in my opinion and knowing that the more cases there are, there are likely to be more variants, if I have had the vaccine than I won't be upset if other people don't. It becomes another risk in life that you manage and accept.

I am very surprised that some EU countries are refusing to use the AZ vaccine at the moment even though the EU medical body says it is fine (as well as the WHO and the UK). Let's hope that they start to roll it out again as it is concerning for my friends in mainland Europe.

Best wishes, Chris

17. GordonL Mar 17, 2021

I had my 1st dose of the AZ vaccine on Monday. Slightly sore arm and felt a bit grotty on Tuesday but otherwise no side effects. The whole process was very smooth and efficient - glad to be living in the UK.

jsducote likes this.
  18. pdxleaf ... Mar 17, 2021

My wife commented that if covid had physical affects similar to smallpox or the plague or Ebola, then people may not be so hesitant to get a vaccine.

Measles, mumps, polio, smallpox. Definitely not in the "it's a personal choice to get vaccinated" camp. (Not saying anyone here is either.) It's a personal choice if you live in a cave. If you live amongst people, it's no longer personal.

Preaching to the choir here but good on everyone who gets vaccinated. (Hopefully the stuff they give us works.)

More watch pictures please!

Joe_A likes this.
  19. JPE.88305 Mar 17, 2021

Interestingly there's an employee at my institution that received both doses earlier in December/Jan and recently tested positive, presumably at the prompting of symptoms (otherwise not sure why he/she would be tested).

A good reminder that the vaccine by itself is not a panacea for this illness...as mentioned earlier, children under 16 cannot receive the vaccine, and that population is a significant reservoir, particularly for asymptomatic cases.

Also a reminder that the initial Pfizer/BioNTech study was 95% effective in "...preventing laboratory-confirmed illness in people without evidence of previous infection..." The endpoint of the study was simply the development of symptoms, not constant monitoring for the presence or absence of virus. If subjects never developed symptoms, they were presumed to have not been infected though they could not rule out asymptomatic infection...and as we all know +/- 40% of cases are allegedly asymptomatic.

FWIW

C5637BCB-3B6A-445C-8873-AD17A69A8F95.jpeg

Edited Mar 17, 2021
    noelekal likes this.
  20. kippyk Mar 17, 2021

I am 52. My wife and I received our first Moderna jab two days ago in the great state of New Jersey.

Securing the Appointment:
    Any adult can register now in NJ if you have an approved "comorbidity". These include obesity or being a smoker. You are on the honor system when you register online about comorbidity so basically anybody can say they are a smoker and register. You do not need a doctor's note or any proof at all.

I registered about a month ago on every site that I could find (the county, pharmacies, hospitals, medical groups, etc.). The county provided links to various online websites that might have vaccines. I started to focus on four websites that would publish available vaccines, and it would be a mad rush to grab one before they disappeared. I would check these websites 20 times a day for a month. A couple of times a vaccine at a pharmacy was available, but by the time I went through the online form it was already taken.

Three weeks ago the county website showed about 1200 shots were available when I checked on a Monday morning at 8:30am. I registered myself and my wife. It took about 20 minutes for the 1200 shots to be claimed. One week after we were registered, I received a call from a medical group that I registered with a month earlier, and they also offered me a shot.

Getting the Jab: The county converted an abandoned K-Mart into a vaccine center. The process ran like clockwork. They had plenty of people to assist, multiple stations to generate the documentation, and they had about 20 stations to give the shots. I was very impressed.

PXL_20210315_152422054.jpg

jsducote and Joe_A like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.