Forums Latest Members
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 12, 2021

My dad got his second dose yesterday (Washington, DC). So now both of my late-70s parents are fully vaccinated. Only 10% in my jurisdiction are fully vaccinated so far, and ~17% have the first dose. My 23-year-old niece lives in PA, and she already has her vaccinations. Apparently in their sign-up system if you indicate you are a smoker you get moved way up the list. She's not a smoker... But she claimed she did. In her defense she works on a retail shop, so she has some exposure to a lot of people each day.

jsducote likes this.
  2. flw history nerd Mar 12, 2021

I got my second dose of the Moderna last Saturday. A day feeling slightly lethargic followed, then back to normal. My wife is eligible, but hasn't yet been able to get an appointment.

jsducote likes this.
  3. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Mar 12, 2021

It should be no problem for her to convince them
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6e12df

4. gbesq Mar 12, 2021

Lol. Pennsylvania’s tier 1A is so large (approximately 4 million people or 1/3 of the state’s total population) that it’s really not much of an advantage to be in it. Still very difficult to schedule an appointment to be vaccinated, but slowly improving.

5. TexOmega Mar 12, 2021

Finally this North part of Texas is getting increased delivery of the Vaccine.

Appt for my initial injection is 3-18

jsducote likes this.
  6. RealFire Mar 12, 2021

My first is on monday morning!

jsducote likes this.
  7. PhotonX Mar 12, 2021

It's great to see so many of the OF members getting vaccinated. Keep up the pace!

8. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Mar 12, 2021

Apparently someone in my building got vaccinated, they were confident enough to surrender their toilet paper stash at the front entrance for someone else in need ::facepalm1::

44832742-812A-41F6-BF93-53FE18C5072B.jpeg

KAP, TimeODanaos and ConElPueblo like this.
  9. 10mmauto Mar 12, 2021

The wife (Moderna) and I (Phizer) each have both. What a feeling of relief.

10. Traveler Mar 13, 2021

First Pfizer shot last week at Javits NYC. While I’m grateful to have received it, I will take the opportunity to rant about the process in this increasingly dysfunctional State. I’m middle aged (hopefully) and tech savvy. I’m eligible because of two ‘co-morbidities’ (as they depressingly refer to underlying health issues here). It took me three days of non stop frustration in order to secure an online appointment for over a month down the road. I can’t imagine how bad it would be for the less technologically inclined - we are talking about registration on a web-site here, not commanding a spaceship, but it really was one of the most F*k’d up processes I have ever seen. I was unable to secure an appointment ‘manually’ through either of the hospitals I am registered to, due to inadequate supplies, and all they could suggest was to keep trying online. Anyway, I got one, so I’m grateful but the real annoyance is that there are vaccines freely available at many pharmacies in NYC - because you can only get an appointment there through a still limited eligibility criteria on the same messed up web of online sites, (co-morbidity is excluded), this has resulted in a kind of pot luck / lottery system of people hanging around pharmacies in the hope of picking up a vaccine that is about to get thrown away (for example if someone with an appointment doesn’t turn up). I know a surprising number of people that have been able to get vaccinated that way. To be clear, I’m not ranting against them, the more people that are vaccinated, the better - I just think it’s a sad example of something that is just terribly organized and ends up being a bit of a farce once this government gets involved.

jsducote likes this.
  11. glownyc Mar 13, 2021

Pharmacies are distributing the vaccine under a federal partnership. That might explain the differences in criteria.

12. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Mar 13, 2021

one down one to go #pfizer

jsducote likes this.
  13. impalla62ss Mar 14, 2021

Received My first Moderna dose on the seventh. Next one on Easter. Last week Alaska opened up for everyone 16+.

jsducote and KAP like this.
  14. KAP Mar 14, 2021

Vaccines in Alaska are distributed through federal, state and tribal programs. It’s very exciting that it’s open to everyone over 16 as of this past week as impalla62ss pointed out. What a relief and a bit of a release when I had the 1st shot after a year of this. 2nd shot is at the end of the month.

jsducote, cvalue13 and impalla62ss like this.
  15. BAJJ Mar 14, 2021

Months away from it here in the Emerald Isle, I am fortunate enough not to have any underlying medical conditions ;), so in with the general population, last group, end of July maybe. And sure that's fine, I'm not planning on going anywhere before then:)

Edited Mar 14, 2021
  16. TimeODanaos Mar 15, 2021

Please someone explain - and preferably to the EU voters - US and UK vaccinations per head are 2.5x - 3.5x that of the EU. The EU is the worst-hit territory in the rich world, and in a couple of places it's maybe starting to get worse again. Latest response by the European leaders - suspending use of one of the big three shots - when the WHO says they don't need to. For the sake of our European friends and their beautiful countries, will someone please devise an inoculation against boneheadedness.
    Sorry for rant, I'm sure experts know stuff I don't.

BAJJ and simonsays like this.
  17. Dor_42 Mar 15, 2021

My theory (which is NOT based on scientific research) is that there are a few reasons-
    1. Mutations
    2. People who got the vaccine think they are now invincible
    3. People who did not get the vaccine think everyone is vaccinated now so they are invincible

My sister (mid 40’s) got the second Pfizer shot about 1.5 months ago so she should be safe, yet she still got sick after her kid got sick.
    She had very mild symptoms, probably thanks to the vaccine.

18. imfagent449 Mar 15, 2021

The New York times is revising their estimate of when 90% of the population will be vaccinated. As of yesterday, it showed about 90% by July. Although, I expect that doesn't take into consideration logistical issues in distribution.

19. sxl2004 Mar 15, 2021

The clinical trials only evaluated the occurrence of severe disease.
    The vaccine protects against severe disease, not infection.
    So for your sister the vaccine worked perfectly.....

Kmart, ChrisN, glownyc and 2 others like this.
  20. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Mar 15, 2021

It also doesn’t take into consideration the unfortunate fact that more than 10% of the population will probably refuse the vaccine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.