Forums Latest Members
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Mar 2, 2021

Did not think it would ever come to this a year ago.

Got the vaccine today(D1). Went to the Safeway Grocery store for my appt. I set on Friday. Nobody there except the 2 Pharmacists. A few shoppers milling about the store. I think, “damn, I’m at the wrong store” I ask the pharmacist if this was the COVID vaccination store. She said yes. Still nobody. Gave her my consent form, got the shot about 3 minutes later. She said “ok, make your 2nd dose appt.” Whip out the phone, use email link. So in a little over 5 minutes, I get the vaccine and make the next appointment.

Still nobody in line, nobody waiting. I don’t know if I should feel lucky or guilty. It was too easy.

Text the oldest son the ER nurse my vaccination card. He responds to me “great Dad, remember you can still get the virus it just won’t be as severe”

jsducote likes this.
  2. jsducote Mar 2, 2021

For those of you in the US waiting on your regular doctor to call you to administer the dose, I recommend this page from the Harris County, TX site (https://publichealth.harriscountytx...-Information/Local-COVID-19-Vaccine-Providers) - even if you're not in Texas or Harris county. Under "Other local providers" there is a list of grocery stores and drug stores which are administering the vaccine, most of which are national chains which may have a location near you. Just go down the list one by one, enter your location, and look for available appointments - first thing in the morning, again at lunch, and a third time in the evening as they update several times per day. That's how I found my first Pfizer dose through CVS. In Texas, I qualify as phase 1B (age 49 with underlying condition) but it's 100% on the honor system and nobody asked for proof of anything once I got there. I would never encourage anyone to cut in line ahead of other, more deserving persons, but if you do qualify you do not need to wait for a doctor to get around to giving it to you.

3. Wryfox Mar 3, 2021

My wife, as part of the military, got her Moderna doses already. two months ago...the second being a real mf'er..she was in bed for two days with fever and aches.

But my father, 87, at a nursing home, cannot get it yet. Massachusetts. What a clusterf*ck.

jsducote likes this.
  4. sxl2004 Mar 3, 2021

Plenty of nursing home residents have gotten vaccinated in MA.
    In addition the state is at Phase 2 vaccinations. Any circumstances that your dad is not able to go to a vaccination site! Patients 75 and older can have another younger person helping them to the sites vaccinated too.

Best

ConElPueblo likes this.
  5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 3, 2021

Now that is a smart idea!
    gatorcpa

6. ChrisN Mar 3, 2021

We got the AZ vaccine first dose on Monday. Very easy and without side effects. You just get the vaccine and can leave as they don't seem to worry about the initial side effects with Astra Zeneca. In UK, they are now starting on the 50-60 group and are doing very well.

Was wearing this old hooded bumper (an older picture):
    bumper.jpg

They do advise not to drive for 15 minutes - not an issue as we couldn't park at the vaccine centre due to an emergency road closure. After 20 minutes driving around the lanes trying to find a back way in to the centre, we gave in and parked about 5 minutes away. No complaints as I haven't been able to drive this for some weeks and I was quite enjoying myself:D.
    IMG_20210301_135847.jpg
    Cheers, Chris

7. Wryfox Mar 3, 2021

'plenty' doesn't change anything. They flat out said he cannot be scheduled and no plans in the future for next rounds, ie they claim they do not know when. He missed the one time visits to the home, which they still can't explain why only 65% of residents were vaccinated. And no, he cannot be easily moved to external site as he is a fall risk.

Supposedly 600 million doses out there, but this clutersf*ck state can't get their heads out of their asses.

kingsrider likes this.
  8. sxl2004 Mar 3, 2021

Sorry to hear the incompetence of the nursing home/ whomever.
    Let me know if I can help anything. I am in the Boston Metro area.

9. dscoogs Mar 3, 2021

Very fortunate to get 2 Moderna doses early from City of Houston Health Dept. A bit sore arm after first shot, sore arm and real fatigue for about a day after second dose. Used my Speedy to time the 15-min burn/wait after the shot :)

A7DA5679-627C-4F92-A39C-C07CA5502F73.jpeg

Edited Mar 5, 2021
    jsducote, TimeODanaos and sxl2004 like this.
  10. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 3, 2021

Had the Pfizer 1st vaccination last weekend - sore arm and terrible fatigue for a day or so and then back to normal.

pdxleaf and jsducote like this.
  11. pat mull Mar 3, 2021

I got the first Pfizer today at an NJ mega site. Run by the Air Force, it was well put together and efficient. They said they’re currently doing 3000 a day and will be scaling up shortly. They’re using only one room at a huge convention center now

pdxleaf and jsducote like this.
  12. TimeODanaos Mar 3, 2021

13. wagudc Mar 3, 2021

I feel privileged to have gotten the vaccine today. It was a first dose of the Pfizer. Hope all can get it ASAP.

pdxleaf, jsducote and cvalue13 like this.
  14. pdxleaf ... Mar 3, 2021

64 here. Only got it because the VA hospital sent an email that they had extra.

Oregon says they expect everyone 16 and over to get one starting July.

Hopefully the new Johnson and Johnson will accelerate the vaccines.

Hope things open up for you brother. Stay safe.

15. JohnWoo Mar 4, 2021

Love the E Type Jaguar. Your car?

16. wagudc Mar 4, 2021

This probably should piss you off. I am in my 40's, but have a disease that requires me take two medications that suppress my immune system. One of these drugs is used for transplant patients. However, that is not the reason I was allowed to get the vaccine. I work at university that won't have in-person classes until the Fall. Our governor (California) has allowed anyone in the education field cut to the front of the line, because teacher's unions are pouring piles of money into his stop the recall campaign. There were several people in their 20s getting vaccinated when I was there.

17. JohnWoo Mar 4, 2021

AZ stopped from sending a consignment to Australia from Italian production facility.
    Italy says 'we need it here and in the EU'.
    Seems very unfriendly as Italy hasn't paid for it.

18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 4, 2021

Welcome to "vaccine politics"!

Expect more of the same.
    gatorcpa

wagudc likes this.
  19. TimeODanaos Mar 4, 2021

AZ was developed by Oxford university, and the Europeans are so, so mad at the Brits right now, for a number of reasons. :whistling:

JohnWoo likes this.
  20. ChrisN Mar 4, 2021

Yes. Like I said, we're not allowed out to drive at the moment but I think it's coming in April. I last filled up in November, I think, so the fuel is no longer at its best...

Cheers, Chris

JohnWoo and MRC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.