Using the chrono function stops Speedy

Can anyone help please? Speedmaster Pro, 1861, 3 years old and when the stopwatch function is used the watch stops after a few minutes. Reset the chrono and away it goes again! Watch is still under warranty.

Service I doubt, after 3 years?! hardly worn the watch as it’s in a rotation!

Yes, this is earlier than the expected service interval; that's why you're going to get it fixed for free under warranty. That said, the only solution here is to take it in for service, unless it's something really trivial, like you haven't wound the watch to the point that there's only barely enough torque to run the watch and not enough to also run the chrono. But if we give you the benefit of the doubt that you have tried winding the watch, what else can be done, what else did you expect? Take it in.

Your post suggest the watch is not operating correctly. You can't figure it out. You've made sure it's wound. It was/is fully wound? Is it new? How long was it sitting around before purchase. Something is not right. Why not take advantage of the warranty and allow someone able to trouble shoot the problem do so? Again...it is wound?
20190328_160652.jpg 20171219_125701.jpg
Have fun.
kfw

Service I doubt, after 3 years?! hardly worn the watch as it’s in a rotation!
Does it matter how old it is, or does it matter how broken it is?

It could have been sitting on the shelf a long time. A watch can take awhile after production to be sold. Plus, sometimes a few watches need more adjustment than others. A good service is worth the hassle of being without the watch.

That is unfortunate and rare to happen. I have never bought a watch new or used and have never needed a service. However, I have never owned vintage watches.

Some of these rep;ies remind me instantly why I don’t do watch forums that much! My original post gives the info. Yes the watch is wound. Fully every day when I’m wearing it ! New in 2019. Worn probably for less than 6 months out of the 3 years since new and ONLY recently started to do this. YES I will get it sorted under warranty however I was hoping someone (maybe Archer) could help explain it. Of course I cannot fix it from advice, I’m not a watch maker or tech’ so any suggestions are more for informative value rather than diy fix it!

The OP' Speedy is hardly vintage.:whistling:

You interpreted what I said wrong. I never said it was. I was talking about new or used non vintage watches I have owned never needing to be serviced. I cannot speak on vintage.

You interpreted what I said wrong. I never said it was. I was talking about new or used non vintage watches I have owned never needing to be serviced. I cannot speak on vintage.
Incoming vintage with no history gets photographed then packed up to send for service. Today's wear took really expert work to get it running properly, or as properly as a 53 year old Calibre 11 can. http://thewatchspotblog.com/?p=5107

P1050384m.JPG

Funny, this is an old photo but the date window is just like that today. That 51st of the month comes round so fast :cool:

Some of these rep;ies remind me instantly why I don’t do watch forums that much! My original post gives the info. Yes the watch is wound. Fully every day when I’m wearing it ! New in 2019. Worn probably for less than 6 months out of the 3 years since new and ONLY recently started to do this. YES I will get it sorted under warranty however I was hoping someone (maybe Archer) could help explain it. Of course I cannot fix it from advice, I’m not a watch maker or tech’ so any suggestions are more for informative value rather than diy fix it!

That seems harsh. We don't know the level of your experience. I assumed it was none, as a more experienced person would know how to search for the answer and would know some of the reasons, as this has been discussed a lot!

For example, a common reason is drying of lubricants or debris, which causes too much friction on the train. Another cause could be a simple alignment of the gears. Was it dropped, banged against a doorway, etc. Perhaps the mainspring is weak, which seems unusual given the age. My explanation that the watch could actually be 5 years old by the time it was sold seems reasonable.

You can PM Archer also, as he is very giving of his time and energy.

______
If you decide not to stay on the forum, we will survive.
_____
Edit:
I apologize. That last comment was uncalled for. I need to leave it in the post because I said it but it was snarky. I owe you a beer.

Dave
Edited:

Can anyone help please? Speedmaster Pro, 1861, 3 years old and when the stopwatch function is used the watch stops after a few minutes. Reset the chrono and away it goes again! Watch is still under warranty.

You might want to observe whether the watch stops at the exact time interval via the chrono hands readout each instance or random. This info could streamline the diagnosis when you have the watch checked out by the Omega technician.

It stops after random time elapse using chrono function. It has never been dropped or banged. I did try searching and in the past remember reading of a similar issue and cause but could not find the thread.

The op owes us the beer.

have fun
kfw

I can’t quite see why, maybe you think posting random pictures of your watches in a thread about a technical issue is deserving? I know what a Speedy looks like thanks. And to others posting pics, nice watches but WHY are you showing them to everyone in this thread? weird.
Back to my original, polite and non snarky request for help, I have managed to find a reply by Archer to someone with a similar issue and will suggest it to them when I take it in for warranty work this week. Thank you to all who a/ managed not to post a picture of their watch and b/ to those who managed a reply without sounding like a ####. I should have known better.

It stops after random time elapse using chrono function. It has never been dropped or banged. I did try searching and in the past remember reading of a similar issue and cause but could not find the thread.

There was recently a fellow with a 3861 that was stopping randomly after the chrono function was started.
After the dealer/boutique looked at the watch it was universally agreed the owner wasn't fully winding it up.
According to the owner it goes just fine now that he knows how to wind it fully:thumbsup:

There was recently a fellow with a 3861 that was stopping randomly after the chrono function was started.
After the dealer/boutique looked at the watch it was universally agreed the owner wasn't fully winding it up.
According to the owner it goes just fine now that he knows how to wind it fully:thumbsup:

I’ve had vintage JLC and Zodiac manual wind watches for years and am able to fully wind a watch. I ran the chrono function again yesterday and after stopping twice on Saturday after 10mins-1 hour it managed over 3 hours before I reset it. I can only think that because the function is not used much that there is some friction in the lubrication at some point between gear train. I’ll run it again now and see what happens. Apart from this random issue the watch keeps good time.

Started the chrono, stopped after 20 seconds, reset and stopped at 23, reset and 27, reset and 34 secs. Now reset and it continues to run so I’m guessing the lube has gone sticky somewhere. I’ll make sure I take it in before my 5 years is up.