Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Watches On Ebay

1. Severin Dec 16, 2015

I've been seeing a few UG examples on this forum in recent weeks that lacked an accent grave on the second "E" of Geneve. I had previously assumed this was indicative of a redial, but now am not sure. For those of you with experience in UG matters, is the absence of accent necessarily a tell tale or could it sometimes be chalked up to another quality/consistency/conformity control quirk that is sometimes seen with UG?

2. mattmizumi Dec 18, 2015

Relisted at $1000, I assume this CompaxPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network is far from original, but I do like the look of the clean, well-proportioned dial and the sharp stainless case.

I'd love to know what parts it is (presumably) assembled from, so that I can discover what the original looks like!

3. nightowl Dec 18, 2015

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 20, 2015

In my opinion, the lack of an accent does not necessarily rule out originality.

It is an original and correct UG with a refinished dial. It's anyone's guess what it looked like originally, since UG mixed and matched dials and case references.

Bangkok dial - same idea as Mumbai dial, just 1900 miles further east

5. Diabolik Dec 22, 2015

This one stinks of a redial but I am open to comments and would like opinions ...

22502.jpg

6. arkstfan Dec 22, 2015

Maybe it is the way it is lit or maybe I'm getting Grinchy so close to Christmas but the aging of the dial is just striking me as wrong.

7. Severin Dec 22, 2015

I'd say this is a topic ripe for a "evidence of two variants" analysis!

Previous analyses of sub variants and cross hair break/no-break vis. UG logo are true gold.

8. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 22, 2015

Plenty of original dials lack the accent grave.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

x3no likes this.
  9. Severin Dec 22, 2015

Good points - I can believe it, I just don't understand. I wonder whether the lack of the accent is systematic or seemingly random (e.g. do all Supers or Tri-Compaxes lack the accent, or, if not, is the phenomenon consistent with models of certain years but not with others, etc or is it just hit and miss?). I know I'm splitting hairs here, I just don't get it. Even the first photo shows the accent on the word "Tachymetre", yet avoids it in the word Geneve. Perhaps once can chalk it up to Anglicization, as in the word Automatic in the second example. That said, I still wonder whether there is some rhyme or reason to some models having an accent and others not having it. THank you for these examples.

10. nightowl Dec 23, 2015

Well, in French you often omit the accents on capital letters, so I'm guessing it's a typeface thing. The Polerouter Super in MMMD:s photo is a rather late iteration (if I'm correct) with quite a different typeface. The Tachymètre-text is in a serif typeface and the Genève in a sans serif on the Tri-Compax.

MMMD likes this.
  11. nightowl Dec 23, 2015

Being used to "French" French, I'm used to seeing accents in place and sometimes omitted. I read up a bit on the subject and it seems that in French, it's more common to find the accents on capital letters, while in Swiss French, they're more often omitted. Usually when omitted in French, it's because of limitations in printing (of course), but even so, in modern Swiss French, it's common to find capital letters without accents. It could very well be a production aspect, where someone else took over production or where a change in (or choise of) typeface simply forced this.

12. ELV web Dec 23, 2015

I think this is the third time this one popped up in he forum recently and everytime is has been called out as redial.

13. Diabolik Dec 23, 2015

Just a suggestion, but to cut down on the number of repeat requests for info and opinions on specific UG's, would it be worth setting up a "hall of fame" where known redials and frankens could be immortalized ? It could be used as a reference for us all ! A bit like OnTheDash's Definitive guide to Heuers and Gallery of Fakes. A great place to find out more about vintage heuers ...

x3no, ELV web and aap like this.
  14. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Dec 23, 2015

Edited Dec 23, 2015
    Jonatan, HeuerLoon, Davidt and 6 others like this.
  15. wristpirate Dec 23, 2015

16. rahilb Dec 28, 2015

I think you can do a lot worse if you're after a Jet, though the second hand looks to be an unsympathetic replacement...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121848979929Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

17. Severin Jan 1, 2016

Darlinboy likes this.
  18. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 1, 2016

Agree, nice piece and price too high by at least a factor of two.
    [​IMG]

19. Severin Jan 1, 2016

Indeed, even when accounting for the 20 percent discount they offer to international buyers (something to do with the norwegian tax included in the asking price< but not applicable to foreigners). There are a few other, non-UG pieces there that are perhaps more reasonably priced.

20. nightowl Jan 2, 2016

Second that. Looks nice but what a price!