Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Watches On Ebay

1. PHPHD Nov 18, 2015

2. nightowl Nov 18, 2015

3. nightowl Nov 18, 2015

I noticed that one. No minimum bid made me a bit suspicious. The seller has another watch out as well, but to have sold no watches before, just bought small items. However, I can't see the listing when searching for it any longer.

4. PHPHD Nov 18, 2015

Upon further study it looks a bit weird to me.

The bezel looks weird, as does the white instead of red line across from 3-9 (though that might just be rubbing off of the paint). I also don't see a Swiss T at the bottom of the dial.

On a general note, I'm kind of confused about these bezels - I've seen the numbers 'increase' clockwise, but also 'decrease' clockwise. Are there two systems for these numbers on a diver's watch?

5. nightowl Nov 19, 2015

These bezels confuse me too. But opposite direction of the numerals would tell you how long you have left, rather than how long you've been diving.

Diabolik likes this.
  6. PHPHD Nov 19, 2015

Right - not sure why they would have 2 different (and probably dangerous) versions.

7. nightowl Nov 19, 2015

The only reason I can think of is some navy or country still using a different standard back then. A dead givaway of very wrong would be if the bezel rotates clock-wise.

8. valjoux72 Nov 19, 2015

Not on Ebay, but @chronocentric a beautiful early UG Compur is for sale.
    What you think about the watch & price?
    For me, it´s a true beauty, even without stepped case and "only 35mm"

9. Diabolik Nov 19, 2015

A "real" diver watch shows time left ... or time that you have before your oxygen runs dry. This kind of bezel is also used for decompression following a deep dive. A must on any serious diver watch !

10. nightowl Nov 19, 2015

Wouldn't that exclude the Rolex Submariner and Omega Seamaster Professional from being real diver's? Plus oxygen usage isn't that precise - it would depend on how hard the dive is, the diver, etc. Afaik, traditional analogue diver's watches were used for simple estimates such as: You have to start ascending now. A modern dive computer is of course something completely different.

Edited Nov 20, 2015
  11. Diabolik Nov 20, 2015

yes, agree. just highlighting the superiority of UG watches!

12. PHPHD Nov 20, 2015

13. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Nov 20, 2015

Just follow the Hodinkee link and you'll find it... like everyone else. *sigh*

http://www.hodinkee.com/articles/bring-a-loupe-november-20-2015

14. nightowl Nov 21, 2015

Davudvl likes this.
  15. Diabolik Nov 21, 2015

I had a look at this one ...

Hodinkee states the following about the Second exec Autavia that appared on Ebay "On the plus side, the Valjoux 72 movement and the 39 mm screw-back case seem fine" , it is not correct. The V72 movement of a true 2 execution, should be signed ed heuer, not heuer leonidas (later V72 movements).

The Autavia, although nice, is a bit of a mix-up of various other watches albeit well put together !

16. nightowl Nov 21, 2015

No chance it's a older stock being used up? How many years wrong are we talking about?

17. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Nov 21, 2015

Thanks for sharing that. It looks quite interesting...

18. Diabolik Nov 21, 2015

Anything is possible. Serial number would help nail down the year and that would be crucial in establishing legitimacy. However, I would expect the older stock to be signed "ed heuer" and the newer stock "heuer leonidas".

:mad:

19. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Nov 21, 2015

If we're nitpicking... one of my favorite pastimes... There are some issues with the "Bring a Loupe" evaluation of the Knightsbridge Longines Diver as well. The author makes a good observation - that the word "AUTOMATIC" is in an unusual location, but then this:
    "...interestingly, this is the first time I have seen the "automatic" line just below the Longines emblem, though it is nonetheless consistent with a picture found on an Italian forum."
    The link, to Longinespassion.it, shows a picture of what is clearly - despite the low resolution - the same exact watch... therefore not a validation of the Knightsbridge watch's dial, just another photo of the same watch, which I believe to be a redial.

20. nightowl Nov 21, 2015

Ah the reverse. The watch is too early to house a Heuer Leonidas? Could they have started collaborating then?