Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Watches On Ebay

1. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Nov 3, 2015

Neither of them are redials. Crooked hand indeed.

ELV web likes this.
  2. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Nov 3, 2015

I'm probably not a fair judge on what a desirable example of this looks like, so would you mind expounding upon that? (for the people interested in this exampple)

3. Diabolik Nov 3, 2015

The reason I classed it as desirable, is because it is (IMHO) a nice looking classic with a clean dial, original hands and lume (stand to be corrected), original crystal and crown, nice clean movement and NOS bezel. From what I can see, the case looks good and there is also a reference and serial on back so making it straight forward to identify and date. It is also the first version of the later subs which in my eyes is the nicer looking one out of the two with a classic 60's futuristic font. The term desirable implies that it would would be something that many people would like to own. However, desirable to one, may not be desirable to another. Therefore as always, it is down to taste, in some cases budget and preference or in a nutshell, desirability is relative. Hope that helps!

Northernman and ELV web like this.
  4. ELV web Nov 4, 2015

image.jpeg
  5. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 4, 2015

This one is mine, and actually on the wrist this morning:
    IMG_7515.JPG
    Berthoud is the family name of one of the UG founders. I have not been able to make out why UG used this name on some deliveries. It seems however that they did that for some military/commercial series.
    I agree that the logo on the watch in question is a bit rough, however I would be surprised if someone re-dialed it Berthoud?

6. ELV web Nov 4, 2015

Yours is awesome, +1 ;). On the one I questioned, I actually think that maybe the logo was no longer readable for whatever reasons and a bad touch up was done....

Northernman likes this.
  7. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 4, 2015

Thanks!
    The relative obscurity of the Berthoud name even enabled me to actually purchase it at a very decent price. In these times of UG-mania I would think Berthoud can be a brand to look for. Basically same watches, but not as hyped.

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 4, 2015

If you are bothered by female springbars, you're collecting the wrong brand! All of the older chronos from UG have 'em.

9. ELV web Nov 4, 2015

I am really bad at changing the straps for those :(. I won't consider myself a collector though, more like hanging around and randomly picking up what I like. Last but not least, my Favourite UG for strap changing is this one.....

image.jpeg
    Dre and Northernman like this.
  10. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 4, 2015

Out of curiosity and general self enlightenment; Is there a specific year or period when UG went from female to male spring bars (in general).
    My 1938 waterproof and 1947 tri-compax does not have female spring bars.:rolleyes:

11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 4, 2015

they are steel, right? It's a gold case thing.

12. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 4, 2015

Tri compax 18k. Waterproof is steel.

13. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 4, 2015

Interesting. I would have expected that Tri-Compax to have female bars.

14. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 4, 2015

Ref 12253. Cal 481.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

x3no and Dre like this.
  15. Dre Nov 4, 2015

And some of these cases too apparently.

image.jpeg

ELV web and Northernman like this.
  16. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 5, 2015

Perhaps someone have modified the female springbar mounts into male during a service?
    I personally do not like the female springbars as they are a pig to work on when installing a strap.
    I guess filing down the stud, and then drilling a new hole is not very hard to do?
    If the stud breaks of I guess that may also be an easier (stronger) fix rather than trying to solder in a new one??
    ::confused2::

17. Diabolik Nov 5, 2015

there is a reason for female springbar mounts ...

They are usually found on cases made of easily malleable metals such as brass gold and silver. Rarely on steel. Soft metals will eventually distort and wear due to stress that male steel pin puts softer metal hole which eventually leads to failure. There are some other factor at play such as galvanizing due to different metals coupled with a fluid medium (sweat, rain and moisture) which leads to the gradual oxidation and wearing away of the less reactive metal (in this case gold).

:) ... I miss my student days at UCL studying biochemistry !

LouS and HeuerLoon like this.
  18. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 5, 2015

Maybe I just read you wrong, but I assume you are saying Gold is not reactive?
    We often use gold plating on contacts in order to minimize galvanic corrosion on our electronics contacts. I have seen for myself system failures costing several million dollars caused by suppliers not paying attention to this.

I have a 1943 IWC in stainless with female springbars. My only one with such construction.

19. Diabolik Nov 5, 2015

No, not at all. You are correct. Gold is NOT very reactive. It is the softer metal that is attacked by the reactive metal. That is why Gold is used in expensive electronics and lasts a long time (Gold artifacts do not eventually crumble to nothing like other metals). It does not oxidize!

reactivity.gif

Similar to Hydrogen, on its own it is harmless. Coupled with oxygen, you have a highly explosive Gas !

Edited Nov 5, 2015
    woodwkr2 likes this.
  20. Northernman Lemaniac Nov 5, 2015

Good! Then my chemistry lessons from back in the days still does not fail me:)