Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Watches On Ebay

1. Diabolik Oct 20, 2015

Auctionata seems to sell plenty of junk ! I am wondering if any of their valuers have a clue as their auctions seem to have tons of Franken Watches. The other weird thing is watches that allegedly sell, only to appear at their next auction. I would stay well clear as it is all very weird ! ::facepalm2::

2. aap Oct 21, 2015

Avoid Auctionata! I bought a Zenith TV Screen from them. The chrono resetter wasn't working and the time was off by at least 5 minutes. To make them commit to pay for all the repair and parts, I had to email a few times, send follow up emails and even called them.

3. x3no Oct 22, 2015

4. PHPHD Oct 22, 2015

5. HeuerLoon Oct 22, 2015

6. Diabolik Oct 22, 2015

May UG mess.jpg have been a little better like this ...

CarSnob and Northernman like this.
  7. aap Oct 22, 2015

This is what you call a value-for-money all-in-one watch. :D

8. P.Wood Oct 22, 2015

Every thing on it tomato , potato , onions.......

9. HeuerLoon Oct 26, 2015

Wrong on so many levels. Offered by Kaplans auctions. Barge and pole.

image.jpg
    x3no likes this.
  10. HeuerLoon Oct 28, 2015

A fake space compax case from a seller who should know better. Please see Lou's stickied thread for the tell tale signs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/272029613335Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

michael e likes this.
  11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 28, 2015

Note how the diver on the back of the case has been polished off

12. HeuerLoon Oct 28, 2015

I bet that took a while to achieve ::facepalm1::

13. michael e Still learning. Oct 28, 2015

Really?
    Thanks for the heads up, I will remove it now.
    The last thing I want to do is sell sh1t, it did not cross my mind this thing could be fake so thank you for the education.
    Very embarrassed ::facepalm1::

Cheers Michael

Gatsby, x3no, HeuerLoon and 3 others like this.
  14. michael e Still learning. Oct 28, 2015

Just read the sticky so thank you for posting it.
    You learn something new every day! :thumbsup:

If any of you guys see anything I have for sale which is not right I welcome criticism, the last thing I want to do is sell something which is wrong, it does me and my business no favours what so ever and I am always glad to learn from the people across this fine forum..
    All the best Michael

Modest_Proposal, aap, x3no and 5 others like this.
  15. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 28, 2015

Michael, thank you for the gentlemanly reply.

Gatsby, Modest_Proposal, aap and 3 others like this.
  16. HeuerLoon Oct 28, 2015

+1

17. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 28, 2015

+2

Diogenese would be proud.:thumbsup:

ELV web likes this.
  18. Diabolik Oct 29, 2015

In my honest and humble opinion, it could well be a UG space compax case straight out of the assembly line but not yet stamped with reference and serial number. I have seen those before and I believe that the origins of space-compax frankens are due to such cases being around. Stamping the inside of the case with UG's cartouche is no simple feat and it is clearly not CNC'd !

It may be original, just lacks serial and reference and a "U" on crystal. Still, if you have a back (available from you know who) it could well be a worthwhile purchase at a much reduced price.

Michael +3

19. michael e Still learning. Oct 29, 2015

It does seem like a really well made case, On inspection I would have not believed it was anything but original. The age and deterioration of the rubber pusher caps is what I expect of rubber that is at least 25 years old, it is just like old Speedmaster case seals go when all black and sticky. Also noting the inner case back markings as pointed out, which looked good to me.

The seller has stated he got several cases from the UG factory in the 80s when it was closing down. I have bought several watch parts off this seller, he has had some amazing stuff and seems a good guy, he has not argued about the return either.
    But the truth is I cannot sell this case with a clear conscience as people with more knowledge on UG than myself have passed comment and I respect that, but also don't doubt the seller either.
    I'm clearly on the fence on this one I know, but that is how it is.
    All very interesting for me.
    Onwards and upwards for all involved :thumbsup:
    And thank you all for the above comments.
    Cheers Michael

abrod520 likes this.
  20. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 29, 2015

This is an interesting discussion. Someone seems to have made a fair number of these, and a source at UG embraced these as original in response to a query from a french forum. The amazingly poor quality of the dial usually associated with these cases argues against original in my mind, but it's not impossible that it's the dial alone which is fake. Or maybe UG's dying gasps had really awful quality control. There's precedent for that if you look at those shabby fiberglass-cased Breitling Sprints (although the dials are even worse than those).

x3no likes this.