Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Watches On Ebay

1. Severin Aug 3, 2015

2. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 5, 2015

$_57.jpg $_571.jpg $_572.jpg $_573.jpg
  3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 5, 2015

Probably authentic because too improbable to fake, generic & undistinguished design, a parts-bin assortment of a 'factory-franken,' the death-throes of a once-great company.

citizenrich likes this.
  4. HeuerLoon Aug 5, 2015

I saw this too this morning. I have to say I have never seen anything like it before.

5. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 5, 2015

I also believe it to be authentic. And yes - part of their final efforts... :(

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 5, 2015

7. Carlton-Browne Aug 6, 2015

I'm not convinced and believe it more likely to be a sterile model of the sort that often ended up with Bucherer or Lemania on the dial. I believe the enterprise probably looks worthwhile on the back of a number of recent UG chronograph prices and perhaps, in a different era, they would have put Omega or such like on the dial. The only thing UG is the movement plate and I believe that probably post-dates the otherwise 1970's style of the case. Would love to be proven wrong though.

Diabolik likes this.
  8. danomar Aug 6, 2015

That particular case commonly housed a Lemania 1340/1341 as used primarily by Tissot but also by other brands. This is the first time I have seen a manual-wind movement in one, but that is just me. The minutes and hours subdial hands are unusual variants that I have seen on a few regatta-style watches. The crown is unusally thick for the case, but maybe it is a concession to the manual-wind movement. Is it something UG produced? Possibly. Is it a franken-watch? Also possible. Is it a sad reminder of how the names of great marques sometimes fall to abysmal levels? Absolutely. :(

9. HeuerLoon Aug 6, 2015

For me, the price is a bit too high to take a gamble on it. Its a not a bad looking watch but it does'nt get the juices flowing...

10. papaebetu Aug 6, 2015

::facepalm1::::censored::

Diabolik likes this.
  11. Diabolik Aug 7, 2015

100% franken and a bad one at that !
    ::puke::

ps: nice cnc job though ...

CarSnob likes this.
  12. kidkimura Aug 7, 2015

IMG_0794-Edit.jpg
    georgetownhoya and heypacha like this.
  13. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 7, 2015

Mental Watches you say? I believe it.

14. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Aug 7, 2015

Has anyone else seen silver sub-dial hands before? I certainly haven't, but other than the fact that they're silver, they look authentic.

georgetownhoya likes this.
  15. georgetownhoya Aug 7, 2015

Haha, well, good to remember recent transactions that we have record of for the Nina Rindts. Last October, one reportedly sold for $23,000 in a silent auction by analog/shift that I wrote about on HODINKEE.

https://www.hodinkee.com/blog/whats-selling-where-five-absolutely-killer-watches-begging

Then Yorktime in Canada reportedly sold one for $19,000 within the weekend after I wrote about it on HODINKEE:

https://www.hodinkee.com/blog/whats...net-jackson-to-her-lover-and-a-watch-to-avoid

Then Matt Bain reportedly sold one for $22,000 within a couple days after I featured it on HODINKEE:

https://www.hodinkee.com/blog/from-a-lecoultre-deep-sea-alarm-on-ebay-to-a-crazy-vintage-b

The hands are very interesting. I think the watch may be transitional between the early dial with applied logo and the later painted dial where the register hands were also painted white. I think I have seen two of the Ninas with silver luminous register hands. Perhaps they then realized silver was not easily legible, so they painted them white. What do others think? The register hands certainly are original from Universal and based on my understanding of the history of the watch and my gut, I don't think they were put on recently.

Best regards,
    Eric Wind

bazamu and Diabolik like this.
  16. Dre Aug 8, 2015

Eric Wind's special bump ;)

This one below is panda tri-compax for $8k, not ebay though. Apologies for the bad photo, I haven't contacted the seller for better photos.

image.jpg

georgetownhoya likes this.
  17. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Aug 10, 2015

I would agree that they're authentic and likely original to the watch. Personally, I think they'd bug me a little bit though. The white register hands look awesome in contrast to the black sub-dials, and I feel like the dynamic gets lost when they're silver/metallic. All that said, my gut tells me that it will probably sell right around the asking price, given the discount to recent Nina sales.

18. Diabolik Aug 10, 2015

That one sold a very long time ago ...

19. Northernman Lemaniac Aug 10, 2015

heypacha and ELV web like this.
  20. Diabolik Aug 11, 2015

I think the case back says it all ...

caseback.JPG