Forums Latest Auctions Members

Universal Geneve Watches On Ebay

1. iht

iht Nov 30, 2014

So does that mean the watch was dark brown from the beginning?

2. woodwkr2

woodwkr2 Nov 30, 2014

This should help:
    http://bit.ly/1rIWsUe

3. ELV web

ELV web Nov 30, 2014

I got one with similar color dial too, still being serviced though

image.jpg
  4. iht

iht Dec 1, 2014

Learn something new everyday. Thanks :)

5. tomg

tomg Dec 8, 2014

6. iht

iht Dec 8, 2014

The lugs (in plural) were reattached - this info is in the seller notes and not in the main description.

Apparently it was also returned by the previous buyer due to non functioning date mechanism.

I wonder how the original owner managed to break the lugs. I assume the watch was dropped at some point? Or are they just very fragile?

7. tomg

tomg Dec 8, 2014

Yes it was relisted, and I believe the original listing was here...

8. sillo38

sillo38 Dec 10, 2014

What are the thoughts on this? Fell in love with the tri compax and have been scouring the web for one.

[​IMG]

9. sillo38

sillo38 Dec 11, 2014

Here's the serial number and I asked for a movement pic

[​IMG]

10. rbrandonhorner

rbrandonhorner Dec 12, 2014

Hi, All. New to forum. Love the breadth of information here.

Wondering what people can tell me about this Polerouter that was on eBay. I know it's a redial and how that diminishes its worth. Thanks for all your feedback/input.[​IMG] a

[​IMG]

11. eustace

eustace Dec 12, 2014

You can get these in good to excellent condition with an original dial fairly easily in the $400-700 range. Unless the red dial really speaks to you, or the price is too low to pass on, I would tend to move on.

12. rbrandonhorner

rbrandonhorner Dec 12, 2014

Yeah, it was the red dial that hooked me. The movement looked clean, so I snapped it up. Do you know if UG ever made original dials this color, or is the red a total product of the refinish?

13. NT931

NT931 Dec 14, 2014

Hey folks, found this one on ebay, and any chance it's a redial? Seller sounds like a collector and communicates clearly and unambiguously, so that's a plus!

These are the seller's pictures. The polerouter's crosshairs confuse me as a UG noob. Some of them are too thick, so that's a giveaway for a redial. This one seems ok. The interface between the crosshairs and the "UG" and "Polerouter" are what confuses me - in some models they travel all the way thru all 3 lines, in some (like this one) they cut thru 'Polerouter' but not the 'UG', in others they don't cut thru any of the 3 lines. So which ones are the 'tells' for redials? Any advice helpful, thanks!
    $_57.JPG
    $_57-2.JPG $_57-3JPG.JPG

14. Hijak

Hijak Dec 16, 2014

I have one just like this and this dial looks good and it's in nice condition too. The earlier 138SS models are like this I believe.

Edited Dec 16, 2014
  15. citizenrich

citizenrich Metal Mixer! Dec 17, 2014

The 139 and 138 were developed together and many 139's predate 138's.

Neway...
    The Dauphine hands are correct for this reference but the hour hand seems a little short to my naked eye. It's probably just the angle of the photo but I'm not 100% sure? There was a dealer in Mad-chester who appears to have stumbled across a treasure trove of NOS dials and chapter rings / rehautes (spacers) so I've seen some put togethers lately.

Nobody and I mean nobody on the planet knows more about these watches than Matt Bain in Florida. If you have any relationship with him he'd be more than willing to help you out.
    He's a good egg and I credit him for hopefully making my retirement years a little brighter :)

What's the serial number for this watch?
    Also / UG is (in)famous (IMHO) for having pretty...sloppy (not sure that's the right word or even fair) quality control in terms of consistency for case stamping, dial stamping and serial number protocol(s).

It's a pretty common theme for UG.

Despite so, they made damn fine watches!

I wear a 60 y/o 139 as daily and that thing is bomb proof. I can drop it down a flight of stairs and her balance laughs it off ...lol

NT: I took another look and that watch is a looker!!

Edited Dec 17, 2014
  16. citizenrich

citizenrich Metal Mixer! Dec 17, 2014

Sometimes, they didn't put any "crosshairs" at all! If you ask me, UG definitely had a full bar at the factory!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Noodia and ELV web like this.
  17. NT931

NT931 Dec 17, 2014

Thanks guys for the info! Sadly, my snipe was ineffective as I had underpriced it , sigh. The pictures from citizenrich show some wonderful UGs ... Mmm... Time to trawl ebay again!

18. jordn

jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Dec 28, 2014

19. woodwkr2

woodwkr2 Dec 28, 2014

Yes... Dial, engravings. Basically the only real part is the movement.

20. Modest_Proposal

Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 28, 2014

It will still go for an absurd amount, no doubt.