Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Watches On Ebay

1. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 10, 2014

Waynepjr likes this.
  2. Ansatz Nov 21, 2014

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums, which I discovered through a search for UG Mumbai Specials. I'd like to being two obvious examples of Mumbai'd (well, Singapore'd) Polerouter Dates to your attention for commentary about features OTHER than the redial:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=351222544900&alt=webPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=351228237356&alt=webPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

In each case the rotor is not in tip-top condition and on the easter-egg blue one, there's a picture showing places where the rotor has clearly marked the interior of the caseback. I think I see a little grime on each where the case snaps together.

Call me a heretic, but I actually don't mind the redial or crown replacement too much. What I am curious to know is a ballpark estimate of the cost to have the watch in good working order.

Thanks in advance for your time, I've greatly enjoyed reading the posts in this forum.

3. Waynepjr Nov 21, 2014

Your first question should be to the seller asking his reserve.... They might be stupid numbers.

Wayne

4. Ansatz Nov 21, 2014

A good point, thanks for the quick reply. I've got a message in to the seller now. One of the auctions is ending soon so I'll get a feel for what people's appetite is and whether or not it matches the seller's expectations.

5. Phranz Nov 21, 2014

Ladies :D & Gentlemen!

Tri - Compax cal 287, ref 2253B (?), UG movement nr. 218403, ca. 38mm,

http://www.ebay.de/itm/331383473964?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

1) The last digit in the (not to sharp) bottom case pic looks like a "B" to me, but neither in this forum nor in Sala`s book I have found a letter as a reference nr. anywhere?
    2) The second question, that occurs to me, concerns the missing of a serial nr. above the reference on the bottom. Possible?
    3) And last but not least a general one:
    Does a UG movement nr. give any useful info about age, or mvt fitting to case?

looking forward.....

Edited Nov 21, 2014
  6. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Nov 22, 2014

Not sure about the case back. It looks like 22538 to me, but that reference seems to have been for an Aero-Compax. The case number may have been polished or photoshopped out.

The calibre (287) and the gilt parts of the movement might be helpful in guessing at a date range. I would refer you back to Sala, which I don't have at hand at the moment.

What I don't understand is the weird reference to Yalta. Roosevelt and his Movado were at Yalta. Truman wore a Tri-Compax several months later at Potsdam (but not this reference). I believe he received the watch from Stalin in exchange for Poland. It might have seemed a good deal at the time, but Truman soon realized he had been swindled, and, infuriated, took extreme measures to keep the Russians out of Japan. And the rest is history...

http://omegaforums.net/threads/universal-genève-tri-compax-ref-12551-truman.8103/

Mothra and Carlton-Browne like this.
  7. Phranz Nov 22, 2014

Dear MMMD, thank you very much for your considerations and for your historical hints!

I understand basically UG ref-, case- and calibre numbers.
    But it is still not clear to me, what a UG MOVEMENT Number tells. (in the discussed watch 218403).
    Till now I have, neither in Sala nor here, found anything about. Maybe these movement numbers are simply irrelevant (unlike in other brands) and bearing no useful information?

regards Franz

8. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Nov 22, 2014

Nor is it clear to me. I don't know whether anyone has yet worked out a dating system for UG based on movement numbers.

9. Phranz Nov 23, 2014

FYI
    The above discussed Tri-Compax cal 287 was sold for € 2.300.- (USD 2860.-)
    ......not to me..... :(

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 23, 2014

Interesting topic. UG (or Martel) appears to have abandoned movement numbers in the 1950s, a practice which was carried over to Zenith with the purchase of Martel - before that, Zenith was quite systematic about movement numbers. I don't think anyone has bothered to work out dating by movement number as it is probably not more useful than dating by case number.

11. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Nov 29, 2014

12. Diabolik Nov 30, 2014

13. Waynepjr Nov 30, 2014

14. Waynepjr Nov 30, 2014

At the current bid I have a feeling a 'Hodinkee' is watching this one...

15. ELV web Nov 30, 2014

Good price, but i don't like the sub hour and the date hands. They are unobtanium as some members here (woodwrk) would say :)

16. Waynepjr Nov 30, 2014

Someone might just have these hands waiting on a watch to pair them to.... :whistling:

17. iht Nov 30, 2014

Newbie here. Any reason why the dial is so brown? Is that the original dial color? Thanks :)

18. Diabolik Nov 30, 2014

patina ... or good old ageing. a bit like wrinkles.

19. iht Nov 30, 2014

Thanks :) I assume this can be desirable to some? Personally I find the color a bit too dark.

20. woodwkr2 Nov 30, 2014

It's a champagne or copper dial. There's patina, but not like y'all are thinking.