Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Watches On Ebay

1. bgrisso Mar 31, 2020

yes, there is an insertion/listing fee to set a reserve, regardless of if the items sells. I don't know anyone that uses reserve price any longer, you used to see them more back in years past.

2. Diabolik Mar 31, 2020

Not quite sure what makes it so popular. case is sharp, older UG movement and pretty dial but not my thing ... on another note, saw this for 70 euro ... I cant identify the movement. Anyone know what it is ?

upload_2020-3-31_21-54-15.png upload_2020-3-31_21-55-0.png

3. 10H10 Apr 1, 2020

The lugs have been resoldered... Actually I bought it then changed my mind when I noticed the repair.

4. bgrisso Apr 1, 2020

ah, so you were the first buyer ;)

The seller told me they were relisting and I asked if I could just make an offer, but they went ahead and listed it in the middle of the night (my time) and then someone else snapped it up.

maybe i should consider myself lucky.

Duracuir1 and 10H10 like this.
  5. Thommas Apr 1, 2020

Apologies if this has been discussed here previously, but I'm considering this Polerouter, currently listed on eBay:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Un...960-Unpolished-comes-w-2x-Straps/193400423791Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Aside from the unsigned crown, are there any other flaws that jump out of the pictures or listings? With the dial in particular?
    Many thanks for any input that can be provided!

s-l1600 (12).jpg
  6. Carlton-Browne Apr 1, 2020

Bar a trench-style watch, the nearest in age I have is this with a Cal 260 in it.

[​IMG]
    That movement looks earlier. I had an image search for a UG cal 10 but it only throws up a few parts, not a picture of a whole movement.

edit: but there are suggestions a cal 10 might be for a ladies watch and one without sub-seconds.

Diabolik likes this.
  7. Mazoue Apr 1, 2020

Wow, what a lot of Polerouter questions recently!

Focusing on the flaws as you asked, I'm not certain about the claim that it's unpolished. The lugs are not crisp and appear quite heavily polished to my eye.

I would also want the case reference and serial numbers to be present on the case back.

8. Thommas Apr 1, 2020

Thanks! I see what you mean about the polishing, but would be willing to accept that. The dial looks nice and genuine to me and no one has raised any flags about it.

I messaged the seller for movement and inside case back pics, which he shared (attached). I am mostly worried about the missing case reference and serial, which are nowhere to be seen!

Should I assume they were polished of the back, or that the case back was replaced?

s-l1600 (14).jpg s-l1600 (13).jpg
  9. Mazoue Apr 1, 2020

It's possible that you will be able to find the numbers with lots of light and a loupe but if they are not on the case back then it's most likely that they've just been polished or rubbed off.

Depending on the particular reference and serial number, sometimes the numbers are clear and deep but other times they can be very faint and easily rubbed off.

I don't see any other red flags. I suspect it's been serviced recently given the new looking rubber case back gasket.

10. CafeRacer Apr 2, 2020

Id also suspect whoever serviced it messed up reinstalling the case clamps :p
    The clamp on the right in that photo should be sitting between the bumper springs, and vice versa. Easy fix at least :)
    Looks nice to me, but id always prefer having visible reference and serial numbers on these... personal preference.

11. Mazoue Apr 2, 2020

I personally thought that this was absolutely stunning. The case is amazing and the patina just my cup of tea. How many 1930s watches in this condition do we see? Sadly my head got the better of my heart this time. Just a few months ago I would have fought tooth and nail for it.

It sold for 1250 Euros, which does not seem unreasonable to me. I'm not sure how much a 1930s steel Patek 96 would cost but I suspect a great deal more.

Duracuir1 likes this.
  12. CaptainWinsor Apr 2, 2020

I was watching this too. Beautiful case. I had a feeling one of the UG guys here would end up with it. Glad I didn’t bid and win as a nice Zenith has come up

Duracuir1 likes this.
  13. Carlton-Browne Apr 2, 2020

I have one of these which is why it caught my eye at the beginning.

[​IMG]
    It's a very nice watch with an imperfect dial and a particularly nice case but it is not worth anything near €1250; I don't remember exactly but I think I paid somewhere around £120 for it.

Anyway, I wait eagerly for the Ebay watch to be relisted :p.

Diabolik, Duracuir1 and filmir like this.
  14. Mazoue Apr 2, 2020

Very nice but I think you could probably argue that the dial with the more durable applied hour and minute markers was more desirable, particularly given the similarity in styling with the Patek 96.

This one popped up on Instagram in the last few days and sold within hours if not minutes. Slightly larger at 35mm and apparently NOS with original strap and buckle, so not directly comparable, but the asking price made the eBay watch look like a giveaway.

Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 21.29.37.png

15. hejsam Apr 3, 2020

What was the price on this?

16. filmir Apr 3, 2020

I think it was somewhere near the double of the other one.

Edit: found it

IMG_20200403_091552.jpg
    OllieOnTheRocks likes this.
  17. hejsam Apr 3, 2020

Thank you, can’t say its crazy expensive if its NOS and 35mm. Considering what similar Longines costs for example.

18. Diabolik Apr 3, 2020

There is always one ...

Very nice indeed and perhaps more desirable than the one recently listed !

19. Mazoue Apr 3, 2020

I had understood the asking price for the most recent sale was considerably more but only the buyer and the seller truly know the agreed price.

20. filmir Apr 3, 2020

Possibly. This was the info on Chrono 24. Maybe its older info.