Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve Watches On Ebay

1. JL Smout Sep 6, 2017

I'd like to ask for thoughts on this Unisonic. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network To me it looks (other than the quite heavy scratching to the rear caseback, probably the result of a cack-handed repairer) reasonable; the crystal looks original, the dial looks in decent condition, and the crown hasn't been replaced. But I'd like to know if I'm simply being too optimistic about it.

2. billving Sep 6, 2017

3. Carlton-Browne Sep 6, 2017

I don't see anything to worry about although I've not seen one in that case shape before (nor without a date). I have a feeling that there may be some people bidding in the hope of getting a bracelet for a Polerouter (which, if I were a betting man, I'd venture won't fit) but I' think it's worth a cheeky bid.

4. Diabolik Sep 6, 2017

That is my old Unisonic. Nice watch. It worked perfectly. Everything was right on it. Sold it around two years ago. Watch glass was polished and left a small flat spot at around 5 o clock but nothing to worry about. Rare in that sort of condition and well worth a punt ...

5. JL Smout Sep 7, 2017

Thanks. I decided to pass in the end, even though it's a lovely watch. It just went beyond what I wanted to pay for it. Still think someone got a bargain, though. Also, here's a rather ratty Aerocompax which may be of interest. If nothing else, it'd be a good source of spare parts. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Watch-Universal-Geneve-Aero-Compax-Chronograph-REF-22477/132318265410?_trkparms=aid=777003&algo=DISCL.MBE&ao=2&asc=20160608105753&meid=f0f512c37fa942a8ad4e3ea50d5d0d9a&pid=100012&rk=3&rkt=12&mehot=pp&sd=152685322011&_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 7, 2017

Prepare for a shock when the final hammer is down.

7. JL Smout Sep 7, 2017

If it sells for less than £2k I'll be surprised. I know they're sought after - although a recent signup to this forum, I've been floating around on various watch forums for a while now.

8. jaspers Sep 9, 2017

This gold Polerouter caught my eye on eBayPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network--thought I'd run it by you guys. My observations so far:

- the dial is spotty, which could make it original. Or am I missing something here? In any case, per @Severin's great work here, the round opaque U on the dial matches the 138ss caliber. The dial matches #16 of dial variations in the same post (incredible work by @Severin): full crosshair (to chapter ring), tick & dot markers, 1 dot at 12.
    - the case seems to be in good condition
    - the crown worries me: not very visible, but there doesn't seem to be a UG logo on it.

What are your thoughts?

Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 5.02.57 PM.png
    http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Nice-Origina...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

valjoux72 likes this.
  9. valjoux72 Sep 9, 2017

Just close to Polarouter, still with notches case back. Good price imho!

10. GuiltyBoomerang Sep 9, 2017

@jaspers - Replacement generic crown. I'd take the "serviced" description with a bit of salt as a couple of parts still have corrosion/dirt on them, and the gasket groove and gasket aren't clean/new. The lume plots and hands have been redone, yet two of the lume plots are missing.

The AUTOMATIC looks slightly off in my eyes, as it's not 100% straight (particularly the Ts.)

EDIT - After looking at @Severin's analysis I believe that this is a redial. The U badge is slightly crooked; the crosshair does not go through the E in 'UNIVERSAL' but before it, and bisects N in 'GENEVE' instead of being in between N and E. It also goes through the middle of the 'R' in 'POLEROUTER' rather than being in between 'R' and 'O' or just slightly going through the edge of R. The crosshair also goes through 'O' in 'AUTOMATIC' instead of being in between 'O' and 'M' or just touching the 'O.' The top lume plot looks badly redone as it's not a full circle, and that 'AUTOMATIC' lettering is pretty unconvincing in my eyes now. It's also missing the 'SWISS' word down at the bottom, though that could either be due to photo angles or (more likely) missing as part of the redial.

The case has probably seen a light polish, given the seller contemplated doing the caseback too (a big no no for collectors but a big yes yes for people who like shiny things.)

Polerouter and Universal Geneve prices have exploded lately. This one is not worth it.

Edited Sep 9, 2017
    ARP488, jaspers and sdre like this.
  11. sdre Sep 9, 2017

12. jaspers Sep 10, 2017

Thanks @GuiltyBoomerang, really helpful. I'm just amazed how generous and helpful you and other folks on this forum are. It can be frustrating for a newcomer like myself that so much that's available on the market is unoriginal--despite descriptions stating otherwise. For now, I'm just happy to be able to educate myself though. Thanks again!

GuiltyBoomerang and sdre like this.
  13. Mazoue Sep 14, 2017

This one seemed to pass under the radar
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Uni...dt-034-Panda-Compax-Chronograph-/263191593469Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Other than the tatty bezel and the polished case, both flagged by the seller, I didn't see anything obviously wrong with it.

The final price was lower than I expected (the seller's reluctance to sell outside of the US may be a factor there). Is this just evidence that buyers are only willing to pay really top dollar for mint examples, even if it is a Nina?

You can see better pictures here as this watch was sold by Menta in the past - don't know when or for how much.
    https://mentawatches.com/product/universal-geneve-compax-nina-rindt/

14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 14, 2017

This is very odd. My guess is the same as yours @Mazoue.

15. gop76 Sep 14, 2017

My bet is that we gonna see this one again soon. With a BIN button...

16. Overgrower Sep 14, 2017

Possibly because the pictures on the eBay listing make the Nina dial look really dirty?

17. Carlton-Browne Sep 17, 2017

18. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 17, 2017

It is. A Universalone. Not clear if that burn is on the dial or the crystal. If the latter, this was a great buy. Now all you gotta find is a lug....

Dre and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  19. Moahunter Sep 17, 2017

Hopeless pics. No ref. nos. no pic of movement, missing lug.
    What is it?
    $10,000 BIN!
    Was someone very foolish or very knowledgable.

20. Dre Sep 18, 2017

Someone that has parts, I think it's a good buy