Universal Compur Estate Sale Find

Posts
1,432
Likes
1,580
Sweet, really looking forward to seeing it all put back together, and what a great story and family heirloom you have created.
 
Posts
3,683
Likes
8,484
The case is great but the dial is the best part, can't wait to see it back together.......
 
Posts
453
Likes
682
Clarification, my dad paid $1 for it. I paid him $200. Yes, the lug work was $468. I'll probably have $800-$850 in it when it's done.

It´s worth it for sure, wear it and enjoy it … now i have to find a barn 😀
 
Posts
423
Likes
1,172
So the watch is almost done, and I've hit another road block. It needs the part in these pictures. The pivot is broke off the one end. It's part number 8000, for the caliber 281. Looks like it may be a challenge to find, and there's multiple versions of it. I need the version for the 2 register chronograph, not the longer moonphase version. Can anyone make any suggestions?
 
Posts
24,799
Likes
55,081
So the watch is almost done, and I've hit another road block. It needs the part in these pictures. The pivot is broke off the one end. It's part number 8000, for the caliber 281. Looks like it may be a challenge to find, and there's multiple versions of it. I need the version for the 2 register chronograph, not the longer moonphase version. Can anyone make any suggestions?

PM sent.
 
Posts
1,523
Likes
3,151
It may be possible to re-pivot it. It will need to go on a mini lathe, bore the remaining part of the pivot and insert a new pivot. Not rocket science but a high precision job which requires a good lathe and very small high quality drill bit. Here is a good article on re-pivoting ...

https://watchguy.co.uk/re-pivoting/
 
Posts
13,915
Likes
54,108
Just amazing! Congrats on the successful resurrection!
 
Posts
7,689
Likes
22,049
Bravo👍
So glad we encouraged you to undertake this, it’s now the marvel it was supposed to be!

Can you remind us how you found the guy who restored the lugs, what’s his background, where he’s based—- and what type of metals he handles?
Edited:
 
Posts
548
Likes
2,567
This has been a classic OF thread to follow and I congratulate the OP on a stunning result. That dial!

Further proof that each time a 40s UG chrono is restored, a fairy lives.
 
Posts
13,915
Likes
54,108
I want to change the strap. It's 17mm, any suggestions?
Aaron Bespoke ... after all this .. it deserves one of his.....I’m thinking distressed brown gator but he has so many options. Send him the pics and he will work with you on materials and stitching. French patina is also an option.